More riverfront announcements

atperry

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this development has both positive and negative aspects about it. I like that it is at a more human scale being so close to the river. I also like the storefronts right on Jefferson to creat an urban atmosphere. I dont think im a fan of the townhouses though. They seem out of place and suburban to me. I think they could have reworked the design just a little to high the parking as well but overall im pleased.

Im looking forward to seeing what Bettis is going to come up with for the other side of Chene Park.

Im sorry your right I meant Atwater. If the Condo portion of the structure was extended on the whole lot with perhaps parking/courtyard in the middle I would like it. I think there is too much surface parking when they could get creative and those townhouses seem so out of place.

While the townhomes are a disappointing touch (ala Harbortown), it could be much worse, it could have been all townhomes. That is, unless that big structure nearest to the river is actually a parking garage. I can't really tell.

This quote kind of annoyed me, though, because it's just not true:

"We're one of only a few cities that has an underutilized riverfront," Bing, an industrialist and former Detroit Pistons star of the late '60s and early '70s, said Tuesday.

I can think of more than a handful of other cities with pretty underutilized riverfronts. It's not a big deal, though. I'm just glad to be hearing something about the riverfront further east that RiverEast.

The part of the tall building closest to the river has apparant balconies for what would then be residential units, but I can't tell if the back portion is parking only on the lower floor or the whole building (I can see a car entering on the first floor). For the number of units, the whole half of the building would more parking then necessary. However the structure on the front corner looks like stairs.

I don't know, we need a better rendering.

Oh, and if most of the parking is contained within buildings, why is the surface parking needed?

Oh, and if most of the parking is contained within buildings, why is the surface parking needed?

Im also curious about that. I think they should consolodate all the residential into one building with parking included and turn the space they currently have reserved for surface parking and townhouses into green space.

Channel 7 just showed some different renderings for the site and it doesnt look as bad as the one from overhead that we have been debating. They showed some elevation and closer views of the retail portion and it does look nice but could use a little tweeking. Hopefully these renders will be available on the internet soon.

I really dont think anything is set in stone at this point. They say that 10 is the max but if an amazing 15-20 story proposal came in somehow I doubt they would turn it down without taking a look and considering it. These restrictions are only on the city owned land, correct? GM can build as tall as they want, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Out-of-towners believe area is overdue for revival

Developer plans condos and shops along Detroit River

With so many riverfront projects announced in such a short time, some market-watchers have wondered whether there is sufficient demand for all the planned residential units.

With the local housing market in a downward spiral I'm surprised that so much residential development is being planned. It will be interesting to see how many of these developments come to fruition.

Overabundance of unsold homes in the region creates a burden on owners, market

It is truly amazing how many subdivision developments we get in every week or so. You would think that they would stop building these things with such low demand, but there are obviously still buyers out there.

I know for a fact that Centex (locally) is hurting and I would not be surprised if Pulte is as well, yet they are still developing at a torrid pace.

I think what Detroit has going for it is that its urban residential development. Something that many southeast Michigan residents are craving. The sprawling subdivisions are struggling because they are all the same. I can see downtown Detroit's mini boom continuing in terms of residential developments.

Archived