The (punjabi) Indian population in NWA

KJW

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, KJW, infact I think the Hindu Temple opened in November, I remember posting it somewhere in the Benton County Thread.

Are the majority of these Indians moving for Wal-Mart? I'm curious to see if there's any other large business's attracting Indians.

I always thought there was another Bhuddist Temple in Fayetteville. Has anyone else heard of that?

Yes, KJW, infact I think the Hindu Temple opened in November, I remember posting it somewhere in the Benton County Thread.

Are the majority of these Indians moving for Wal-Mart? I'm curious to see if there's any other large business's attracting Indians.

I always thought there was another Bhuddist Temple in Fayetteville. Has anyone else heard of that?

The only other Buddhist temples I know of are in Ft Smith and Eureka Springs.

Wal-Mart, and to my understanding J.B. Hunt (IT jobs). I think those two companies grab a lot of Indians from the UA (well, international students in general but particularly Indians since there are many of them at the UA). I had a lot of Indian friends (still do) that I went to grad school with at the UA. Indian food rules.

Wal-Mart, and to my understanding J.B. Hunt (IT jobs). I think those two companies grab a lot of Indians from the UA (well, international students in general but particularly Indians since there are many of them at the UA). I had a lot of Indian friends (still do) that I went to grad school with at the UA. Indian food rules.

It's great that there are at least some job opportunities for some of our students including international students. I'd like more of them to stay and help make NWA a more diverse area.

It's great that there are at least some job opportunities for some of our students including international students. I'd like more of them to stay and help make NWA a more diverse area.

Mith, I live in Pleasant View Estates just north of the Wal-Mart/Glass Technology Center. There are at least six Indian families I've seen with probably more who own (very nice) houses there...they can easily walk to work. I disagree with Hinduism (not the forum for that) but it's fascinating to see the decorations they put on their doorsteps.

In addition, a year or two ago I saw a veritable parade of Indian people walking down East 6th St. (my street) to a house that had just been built. It was evening, and I was walking my dog. When I passed by the house where they were gathered, I saw through the door that they were apparently standing around a small bonfire they'd built INSIDE the house. I saw a gentleman walking from the house and asked him about it...he said that's a traditional Indian way of "blessing" a new home.

In addition, a year or two ago I saw a veritable parade of Indian people walking down East 6th St. (my street) to a house that had just been built. It was evening, and I was walking my dog. When I passed by the house where they were gathered, I saw through the door that they were apparently standing around a small bonfire they'd built INSIDE the house. I saw a gentleman walking from the house and asked him about it...he said that's a traditional Indian way of "blessing" a new home.

My God... I'd hate to see what they do to "bless" a new husband and wife! :shok:

Have any of you seen Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle?

It's hilarious, and stars an Indian and Chinese person. Part of the movie deals with stereotypes associated with Asians. The white authors talked about how they always thought it was funny how oriental and indian Asians were alway portrayed stereotypically with weird customs and whatnot.....when in actuality, they are generally very Americanized.

The movie is not as heavy as I made it seem; it's a really light comedy similar in style to Office Space.

Really, I don't find Hindu customs that much stranger (if stranger at all) than Christian, Muslim, or Jewish customs......... and I'm not exactly saying those are strange. Then again, if these religions had just started, some of the customs would be considered strange (kosher, bread and wine into body and blood, etc.)

Really, I don't find Hindu customs that much stranger (if stranger at all) than Christian, Muslim, or Jewish customs......... and I'm not exactly saying those are strange. Then again, if these religions were just started, some of the customs would be considered strange (kosher, bread and wine into body and blood, etc.)

I think it's just people gathered around a campfire in the middle of the living room gives me the creeps just a little bit. :D

Mith, I live in Pleasant View Estates just north of the Wal-Mart/Glass Technology Center. There are at least six Indian families I've seen with probably more who own (very nice) houses there...they can easily walk to work. I disagree with Hinduism (not the forum for that) but it's fascinating to see the decorations they put on their doorsteps.

very interesting. :D As I said before it's great to see some diversity in the area.

Have any of you seen Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle?

It's hilarious, and stars an Indian and Chinese person. Part of the movie deals with stereotypes associated with Asians. The white authors talked about how they always thought it was funny how oriental and indian Asians were alway portrayed stereotypically with weird customs and whatnot.....when in actuality, they are generally very Americanized.

The movie is not as heavy as I made it seem; it's a really light comedy similar in style to Office Space.

Really, I don't find Hindu customs that much stranger (if stranger at all) than Christian, Muslim, or Jewish customs......... and I'm not exactly saying those are strange. Then again, if these religions had just started, some of the customs would be considered strange (kosher, bread and wine into body and blood, etc.)

Haven't heard of it but it sounds like something I might have to check out sometime.

I know I've mentioned this before, but my husband is from India. A Hewlett-Packard/Wal-mart deal brought him here in 1992, and at that time there were just a few East Indians living here. My best friend Sherry and her family were actually the first East Indians (that I know of) to make their home in Rogers - in the late 70's/early 80's. Her dad worked as a biologist for Pel-Freez. I recall her being accepted by most, but she did have problems with a few students who called her ugly names. She has been living out of state for 15 years now, and can't believe how the culture has changed here - we actually have an Indian restaurant and Indian grocery store!

Both Sherry and my husband come from Christian families, so I don't know anything about that bonfire stuff! :)

And yes, itk, Indian food DOES rock! My husband is a great cook - it's some of the best food in the world. Very complicated and time consuming, but so worth the effort. We host big parties for our church friends - my husband even grilled chicken tikka and made pea rice for 400 people at our missions convention a few years ago. Our 6-year old's favorite dish is crab curry - he only weighs 45 pounds, but he can put away a pound and a half of crab legs!

I'm rambling - I'll sign off now. :)

I know I've mentioned this before, but my husband is from India. A Hewlett-Packard/Wal-mart deal brought him here in 1992, and at that time there were just a few East Indians living here. My best friend Sherry and her family were actually the first East Indians (that I know of) to make their home in Rogers - in the late 70's/early 80's. Her dad worked as a biologist for Pel-Freez. I recall her being accepted by most, but she did have problems with a few students who called her ugly names. She has been living out of state for 15 years now, and can't believe how the culture has changed here - we actually have an Indian restaurant and Indian grocery store!

Both Sherry and my husband come from Christian families, so I don't know anything about that bonfire stuff! :)

And yes, itk, Indian food DOES rock! My husband is a great cook - it's some of the best food in the world. Very complicated and time consuming, but so worth the effort. We host big parties for our church friends - my husband even grilled chicken tikka and made pea rice for 400 people at our missions convention a few years ago. Our 6-year old's favorite dish is crab curry - he only weighs 45 pounds, but he can put away a pound and a half of crab legs!

I'm rambling - I'll sign off now. :)

One thing I found interesting is that there's such a huge difference between the different provinces in India. South India is very different than southeast India, or northern India, or western India, etc. Different languages, different kinds of food, I would've never had thought that before. And speaking of food, I never would have thought there were so many good ways to make dishes from dairy, vegatables, bread and rice (in other words, no meat! Or at least no beef). It's crazy amazing... and tasty

Hey Julles, can you tell me where the Indian Grocery Store is?

I'd like to check it out sometime.

It's in Rogers, on Highway 102. If you travel East past the Dixieland Road intersection, it is on your left just before the next intersection (13th St., I think). It's actually a combination gas station/convenience store/Indian grocery. It's a Shell Station, if I'm not mistaken. The south half of the store has a very wide selection of Indian groceries, while the north half has your usual chips, pop, etc. We find pretty much everything we need there. In addition to all the spices, rice, lentils, etc, there is a small cooler which holds fresh veggies and curry leaves, as well as Indian sweets on occasion. There is also a freezer at the back which holds frozen entrees, like Indian TV dinners. They're not too bad.

There was another Indian grocery store in a strip mall in Rogers a few years back (on Walnut, south side, in the 30th St. vicinity -by the old Razorback Pizza joint). It didn't last long; I think you really need something else to help pay the rent. This gas station/grocery combo seems to be working - they've been around a while.

Of course, there's always Avalon Nutrition and Indian foods in Fayetteville, by Chuck E. Cheese's. They've been around for, like, 10 years I think.

One thing I found interesting is that there's such a huge difference between the different provinces in India. South India is very different than southeast India, or northern India, or western India, etc. Different languages, different kinds of food, I would've never had thought that before. And speaking of food, I never would have thought there were so many good ways to make dishes from dairy, vegatables, bread and rice (in other words, no meat! Or at least no beef). It's crazy amazing... and tasty

Oh yeah, Indians have mastered vegetarian cooking like no one else, in my opinion. My mother-in-law can do amazing things with eggplant and okra. She was here a couple of months ago for a visit, and we introduced her to fried green tomatoes. The next day she got in the kitchen and fried up a batch of the best green tomatoes I've ever had. They had an incredible spicy kick. She's very frugal, too. She could feed our whole family of 6, 2 separate meals, with one chicken, a bunch of rice and lentils. And it was finger-lickin' good :)

I agree that there is an incredible diversity among the Indian people. Until I met my husband, I never realized there was such a British presence in India, (my knowledge of history stinks, obviously). My husband's entire extended family, and the majority of their friends, are Anglo-Indians, with some British ancestry. They all speak English as their native language, they are all of the Christian faith (some Catholic, some Protestant), they have Western names, and they incorporate Western dishes in their cooking. For instance, my mother-in-law's first name is Florence, father-in-law is Noel, and their kids are Lloyd, Pat and Raymond. They have cousins named Cookie and Tootsie! No joke.

My father-in-law comes from Goa, and is of Portugese/Indian descent. Apparently the Portugese settled there at one time.

Although Hindi is still the official language, my husband says all the kids are taught English in school. He really struggled in his Hindi classes, because his family spoke English at home, and all the other kids spoke Hindi. I guess he probably kicked butt in his English class, though! :)

Oh yeah, Indians have mastered vegetarian cooking like no one else, in my opinion. My mother-in-law can do amazing things with eggplant and okra. She was here a couple of months ago for a visit, and we introduced her to fried green tomatoes. The next day she got in the kitchen and fried up a batch of the best green tomatoes I've ever had. They had an incredible spicy kick. She's very frugal, too. She could feed our whole family of 6, 2 separate meals, with one chicken, a bunch of rice and lentils. And it was finger-lickin' good :)

I agree that there is an incredible diversity among the Indian people. Until I met my husband, I never realized there was such a British presence in India, (my knowledge of history stinks, obviously). My husband's entire extended family, and the majority of their friends, are Anglo-Indians, with some British ancestry. They all speak English as their native language, they are all of the Christian faith (some Catholic, some Protestant), they have Western names, and they incorporate Western dishes in their cooking. For instance, my mother-in-law's first name is Florence, father-in-law is Noel, and their kids are Lloyd, Pat and Raymond. They have cousins named Cookie and Tootsie! No joke.

My father-in-law comes from Goa, and is of Portugese/Indian descent. Apparently the Portugese settled there at one time.

Although Hindi is still the official language, my husband says all the kids are taught English in school. He really struggled in his Hindi classes, because his family spoke English at home, and all the other kids spoke Hindi. I guess he probably kicked butt in his English class, though! :)

Yeah, Gandhi, the famous Indian who helped free India from British rule through nonviolence, actually went to school in Britain.

India was a major trading post among the early ciivlizations. Their spices were almost of equal value to gold itself.

Did you know that the term Aryan is actually Indian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan)? The Aryans of India-Iran were actually the asiatic peoples who settled countries like Germany way back in early civilization. A lot of the English language (and therein Latin) is derived from sanskrit, which was the language of India at some point.

If you want to see a good Indian movie, you should really check out "Bride and Prejudice." (http://www.miramax.com/bride/) It's a musical and got good reviews. That was pretty random....the reason I thought of that is because a lot of the Indians in the movie are really light skinned, so perhaps they're anglo-Indians.

It's in Rogers, on Highway 102. If you travel East past the Dixieland Road intersection, it is on your left just before the next intersection (13th St., I think). It's actually a combination gas station/convenience store/Indian grocery. It's a Shell Station, if I'm not mistaken. The south half of the store has a very wide selection of Indian groceries, while the north half has your usual chips, pop, etc. We find pretty much everything we need there. In addition to all the spices, rice, lentils, etc, there is a small cooler which holds fresh veggies and curry leaves, as well as Indian sweets on occasion. There is also a freezer at the back which holds frozen entrees, like Indian TV dinners. They're not too bad.

Of course, there's always Avalon Nutrition and Indian foods in Fayetteville, by Chuck E. Cheese's. They've been around for, like, 10 years I think.

Thanks, I'm going to have to try that out sometime.

Also, is the store in Fayetteville any bigger than the one in Rogers?

I've never been to the Star of India in Bentonville (or when it used to be in Springdale) because all my Indian friends said the food was no good. With the Indian background NWA has, and the fact that Indian food can have international reach (for example, I know people who will eat Indian food just because it's good and their vegetarians), I wonder when we'll see another Indian restaruant in NWA. I would think something upscale would fit in nicely... but I don't know of any Indian restaruant chains.

I've never been to the Star of India in Bentonville (or when it used to be in Springdale) because all my Indian friends said the food was no good. With the Indian background NWA has, and the fact that Indian food can have international reach (for example, I know people who will eat Indian food just because it's good and their vegetarians), I wonder when we'll see another Indian restaruant in NWA. I would think something upscale would fit in nicely... but I don't know of any Indian restaruant chains.

Well, you know there's "Curry in a Hurry" - I've seen them in New York. Fast food though, obviously.

Yeah, Star isn't very good at the moment. They've been through several owners, and for a while the food was great. Then they changed hands and it went downhill. We haven't even been there in at least 8 or 9 months, and we pass by there almost daily. I guess we should check it out - things may have changed again.

Thanks, I'm going to have to try that out sometime.

Also, is the store in Fayetteville any bigger than the one in Rogers?

I haven't been there in years, so they may have expanded, but no, it was smaller than the Rogers store, with a smaller selection. At the time, it was the only store around.

BTW - the Rogers store has Indian movies for rent. Apparently India produces more movies yearly than any other country. Hubby says they're all the same, though. Rich guy, poor girl, ensuing troubles, happy ending - or the other way around (rich girl/poor guy). I don't know - I'm not a big movie person anyway.

Archived