Innovation Park/University Park/Southwest Campus

stjoe

This is a continuation of the FSU thread because that was getting hijacked by the research park topic.

Here is a link with some intereresting info.

http://www.fpc.fsu.edu/advertisements/program277.pdf

"Florida State University once operated a dairy farm on a large rural property

just a short distance to the southwest of the Main Campus. Over the years

portions of The Farm have been converted to other uses, such as: Alumni

Village -- housing; Innovation Park -- research; Seminole Golf Course --

golf; FAMU/FSU College of Education -- academics. It seems that people

have long assumed that there is a lot of land still available in what is now

being called the Southwest Campus.

Recently, the shortage of available building sites on the Main Campus has

become apparent to more than the few planners that have been grappling

with the dwindling supply. Two athletic venues -- the track and the tennis

center -- sit on land that may be considered for future academic facilities.

The campus recreation program has been constrained for many years by the

severe lack of playing fields for intramural clubs and sports. Other

institutions have begun to move intramurals off the main campus to then

redevelop that land but at the same time develop appropriate campus

recreation facilities off-campus. It may be time for FSU to consider such a

strategic move.

The perceived abundance of available land at the Southwest Campus is now

being seriously considered for these and other activities. But is there enough

land with the right characteristics? And what obstacles and constraints or

requirements for development might impact FSU

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a continuation of the FSU thread because that was getting hijacked by the research park topic.

I really think it was nice of you to post this information for us stjoe. I had not realized just how much work the university is planning in the upcoming years. There's enough planned for the SW campus to really spark something on this side of town. I've long felt Lake Bradford is Tallahassee's next great frontier, this only enhances that belief. I'm still waiting for a response to my e mails, I'll try to send off hard copies of my letter today. Hopefully I can get a response and report back what I learn.

Another article of interest on the research park topic:

Mag lab staying put at least through 2012

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../602160326/1010

"The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory is staying here until at least the end of 2012.

The National Science Foundation's governing body has decided to extend a renewal for 2008 through 2012 to the magnet lab located at Florida State University, rather than opening up future operation of the lab to a nationwide competition as NSF sometimes has done."

"The magnet lab is a superstar for FSU, with $26.5 million per year of NSF research money. Its presence recently enticed the Applied Superconductivity Center to relocate from the University of Wisconsin in Madison. And it put Tallahassee on the map for visiting scientists and engineers from the nation and world doing research that can't be duplicated elsewhere.

Some $10 million in equipment improvements at the lab were approved by the 2004 Legislature and will be completed by this fall."

"Next stop for the magnet lab is preparing for the NSF a plan detailing what it will attempt to accomplish over the renewal period. There might even be a chance of more research dollars than the $132.5 million projected for 2008 to 2012."

If FSU and thus Tally losses the Mag Lab (which can happen), it would be a great blow to any hopes of high tech critical mass in the area.

Wow I never knew that FSU had to compete for this mag lab. I always thought the Mag Lab was always here and never had any other plans to move. I don't think it will be a complete blow, but I do know the mag Lab is the driving force for all this high-tech stuff. Let's see what the mag lab brings this area in the next 6 years.

http://www.fpc.fsu.edu/advertisements/program277.pdf

"Florida State University once operated a dairy farm on a large rural property

just a short distance to the southwest of the Main Campus. Over the years

portions of The Farm have been converted to other uses, such as: Alumni

Village -- housing; Innovation Park -- research; Seminole Golf Course --

golf; FAMU/FSU College of Education -- academics. It seems that people

have long assumed that there is a lot of land still available in what is now

being called the Southwest Campus.

Recently, the shortage of available building sites on the Main Campus has

become apparent to more than the few planners that have been grappling

with the dwindling supply. Two athletic venues -- the track and the tennis

center -- sit on land that may be considered for future academic facilities.

The campus recreation program has been constrained for many years by the

severe lack of playing fields for intramural clubs and sports. Other

institutions have begun to move intramurals off the main campus to then

redevelop that land but at the same time develop appropriate campus

recreation facilities off-campus. It may be time for FSU to consider such a

strategic move.

The perceived abundance of available land at the Southwest Campus is now

being seriously considered for these and other activities. But is there enough

land with the right characteristics? And what obstacles and constraints or

requirements for development might impact FSU

I really think it was nice of you to post this information for us stjoe. I had not realized just how much work the university is planning in the upcoming years. There's enough planned for the SW campus to really spark something on this side of town. I've long felt Lake Bradford is Tallahassee's next great frontier, this only enhances that belief. I'm still waiting for a response to my e mails, I'll try to send off hard copies of my letter today. Hopefully I can get a response and report back what I learn.

agreed, and florida state will drive this. i will continue writing the county and the city to express my support for cooperation with f.s.u. and city and county governments..

g

I am sure folks don't want my opinion, but here is how I would address this if I were mayor.

I would go to St Joe Company and ask them to donate anywhere from 1000 to 2000 acres to FSU for a research park.

I would convince them of this by telling them it would make their remaining 40,000 acres in Leon County (not to mention other counties) worth more money. St Joe has tried to bring better jobs in town, but they have felt hindered by the local goverment according to articles. I would tell St Joe that now the city is serious. Provide this land, help with some of the infrastructure and we will bring good jobs.

I would then go to FSU. Tell them we have this land. We expect FSU to devote it's resources to getting this park up and running.

I would convince them of this by showing FSU how little land they have for growth. How this could free up land for the 60K students they think are coming. Also how this could help FSU get into the AAU which is a prestigious research association of unverisities. I would also suggest putting a research/teaching hospital there. This would also benefit St Joe because housing is worth more if there is great health care nearby. I would explain how they have NO land to provide a positive atmosphere for run off companies (companies the grow out of higher ed research....like Google at Stanford, etc). This is also a critical area to Tally.

I would then go to the citizens and like BluePrint 2000, get the citizens to vote on say a penny tax to help raise money for this. I would explain how it would help avoid the brain drain of Tally and bring in huge revenue to the area. More importantly, I would explain that if Tally is EVER going to compete it needs something like this to attract companies. Before UCF or FIU have even received Medical Schools (which is up for a vote in March), both cities have raised upwards of $40 Million for these proposed schools. Tally had no such benefit. FSU had no money donated from the local area before it received it's medical school 4-5 years ago. Now there are all kinds of variables, issues, etc with this. But at the end of the day....companies don't care. That is the competition. If Tally could have a thriving Medical School...that would be huge. Small things like this, a research park, high tech critical mass, no brain drain, etc, etc....that is what is needed to even be in the game. Right now Tally is riding the pine.

FYI, I am sure there are holes in the above thoughts...I just wrote off the top of my head.

I am sure folks don't want my opinion, but here is how I would address this if I were mayor.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I think your opinions are a great value. And I think what you've written above should be formalized and sent to the mayor for consideration or atleast read at a Public hearing. As elected officials, their priorities are sometimes clouded by the events of the day, but we need to remind them of how vulnerable we are, and how important this is to us. We are at a critical stage in this community, a point in which we can make or break ourselves. These next few years will likel shape the next 50 for this city and we need to make some economic strides. I think what you've proposed above sounds reasonable, and realistic, why not bump our sales tax up half a cent. No one know whats happens to the other half a cent anyway.

Good work stjoe. We definately need to get moving on this.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I think your opinions are a great value. And I think what you've written above should be formalized and sent to the mayor for consideration or atleast read at a Public hearing. As elected officials, their priorities are sometimes clouded by the events of the day, but we need to remind them of how vulnerable we are, and how important this is to us. We are at a critical stage in this community, a point in which we can make or break ourselves. These next few years will likel shape the next 50 for this city and we need to make some economic strides. I think what you've proposed above sounds reasonable, and realistic, why not bump our sales tax up half a cent. No one know whats happens to the other half a cent anyway.

Good work stjoe. We definately need to get moving on this.

o.k. i think st. joe is completely correct and we should follow through as taureanj says. shall we formulate a letter and send it to the talgov city commissioners and the county commissioners and then circulate that same email to people in town. people of all professions, banks, construction co., realestate agents and brokers, etc., the chamber of commerce and whoever else. we need voices!

check the board tomorrow

thanks everyone

g

good run here folks... great logic. I think we all agree. I like the thought (I did not have before) of all htat St.Joe could gain in turms of jobs and therefore shoppers and residence in the Southern part of town. I think Famu should get a little bit in there too, as far as maybe the hospital and sports facilities. But FSU's dedication with St.Joes help could really blow us up!! it could work out so well!

TJ,

Absolutely.

st. joe, recieved an email from t.k. stating what you have mentioned in another post about f.s.u. not pursuing that anymore. they are developing the "south campus" and it would include research facilities, but the idea of 3 years ago is not a priority. he also stated that innovation park needs to be completely realigned, because it is not benenficial to anyone, goes back to the too many chiefs comment i read somwhere. which led to a question for him on how to communicate with city and county officials the need to change or realign innovation park? how do we proceed from here. i just see this as too of an important issue for f.s.u. not to pursue.

keep everyone posted

gabe

st. joe, recieved an email from t.k. stating what you have mentioned in another post about f.s.u. not pursuing that anymore. they are developing the "south campus" and it would include research facilities, but the idea of 3 years ago is not a priority. he also stated that innovation park needs to be completely realigned, because it is not benenficial to anyone, goes back to the too many chiefs comment i read somwhere. which led to a question for him on how to communicate with city and county officials the need to change or realign innovation park? how do we proceed from here. i just see this as too of an important issue for f.s.u. not to pursue.

keep everyone posted

gabe

Hi Gabe,

I just put the finishing touches on a letter to all community leaders suggesting as St Joe has above, the donation of land to FSU for the creation of a research park. Reading your most recent post makes me feel as if I've waisted my time, but I'll send the letter anyway. It will be sent off to City and County Commissioners, City Manager, County Administrator, Sue Dick at Tallahassee Chamber, and the Tallahassee Democrat.

I sure wish TK and the University had a different attitude toward this proposal.

"I sure wish TK and the University had a different attitude toward this proposal."

My proposal is different than the issue TK was commenting on.

The one he was commenting on was the old "University Park" idea.

Before TK even became president, FSU had the same issue. The current situation at IP is less than ideal. First, the governing structure is ineffective. I am sure someone smarter than I could write a thesis on this one. But simply put, they don't know what they are doing. On top of that, there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

The other issue is, as stated in the .pdf file above. Innovation Park and the Southwest campus of FSU do not have as much land (continuous land) as assumed. You can have a smaller one, but that would hurt attracting some companies and more importantly, it hurts companies that start out small and want to grow. The companies that grow out of research won't have any place to grow. I think 1000 to 2000 acres is ideal (continuous acres). The one at Raliegh is a great example.

FSU simply doesn't want to invest it's money somewhere where it feels it has no control and worse is run by folks that really don't run with the big dogs in the research arena. Kind of like if you are worth a billion dollars, you don't feel so comfortable having a finanical advisor from say Gretna, Fl (no offense to anyone) taking care of your money. You like go to Wall Street or West Palm with the other Billionaires. Espeically when FSU is not sure they have their interest first. Any institution would want the same.

Then the lack of 'continuous land' makes it more concerning when FSU was looking to spend upwards of $200 Million for infrasturcture.

Once FSU realized the players at IP wouldn't change and they studied the land situation more, they simply gave up on 'University Park'. They instead went with "SouthWest Park" which is putting facilities for FSU in the area (mainly athletic), but nothing that really benefits research.

So now that area is mainly just a 2nd campus for FSU's main campus....or will be in the future.

I propose something completely different. A whole new area set aside, about 2,000 acres for pure research/tech/health care/etc. One that is owned by FSU, but like the Mag Lab and UF, has partners (FAMU, etc). Now that said, this would cost a ton of money and take decades to make progress....but someday there won't be land available in Leon Count and if FSU or the COT don't plan ahead, they won't have the luxury of having a research park of SIGNIFICANCE.

"I sure wish TK and the University had a different attitude toward this proposal."

My proposal is different than the issue TK was commenting on.

The one he was commenting on was the old "University Park" idea.

Before TK even became president, FSU had the same issue. The current situation at IP is less than ideal. First, the governing structure is ineffective. I am sure someone smarter than I could write a thesis on this one. But simply put, they don't know what they are doing. On top of that, there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

The other issue is, as stated in the .pdf file above. Innovation Park and the Southwest campus of FSU do not have as much land (continuous land) as assumed. You can have a smaller one, but that would hurt attracting some companies and more importantly, it hurts companies that start out small and want to grow. The companies that grow out of research won't have any place to grow. I think 1000 to 2000 acres is ideal (continuous acres). The one at Raliegh is a great example.

FSU simply doesn't want to invest it's money somewhere where it feels it has no control and worse is run by folks that really don't run with the big dogs in the research arena. Kind of like if you are worth a billion dollars, you don't feel so comfortable having a finanical advisor from say Gretna, Fl (no offense to anyone) taking care of your money. You like go to Wall Street or West Palm with the other Billionaires. Espeically when FSU is not sure they have their interest first. Any institution would want the same.

Then the lack of 'continuous land' makes it more concerning when FSU was looking to spend upwards of $200 Million for infrasturcture.

Once FSU realized the players at IP wouldn't change and they studied the land situation more, they simply gave up on 'University Park'. They instead went with "SouthWest Park" which is putting facilities for FSU in the area (mainly athletic), but nothing that really benefits research.

So now that area is mainly just a 2nd campus for FSU's main campus....or will be in the future.

I propose something completely different. A whole new area set aside, about 2,000 acres for pure research/tech/health care/etc. One that is owned by FSU, but like the Mag Lab and UF, has partners (FAMU, etc). Now that said, this would cost a ton of money and take decades to make progress....but someday there won't be land available in Leon Count and if FSU or the COT don't plan ahead, they won't have the luxury of having a research park of SIGNIFICANCE.

taureanj still send that letter! i will do the same. we need 1 to 2 thousand acres of land from st. joe co. a penny sales tax to raise some money like the municipalities did for fiu and ucf. i checked out the masterplan for the south campus and it is interesting. they would also like to acquire adjacent property to expand. going to be a second campus as st. joe said. so the above stated by st. joe should be the issue put forward to the city, county, chamber of commerce, etc. . plan now to realize the vision in the future. these bodies need to coordinate to make this happen. i will be speaking on the telephone with the vice pres. of research and development at fsu next week. going to think of some questions to ask him with regard to this. if ya

I spent about an hour at the Maglab open house today...I have never been there before, and I can't believe how incredible that facility is.

I had no idea it was so big, and so high-tech. I will be there next year from 10-3...I had to wait inline behind so many kids that I couldn't see much. I did get to hold a piece of Aerogel though, which was worth it.

Who would have guessed a building that is 330k sq ft could seem so crowded.

I wanted to get in so bad today for a picture of the day opportunity but I had the dog and the parking lot was packed-packed-packed!!! They were selling hot dogs and burgers in the parking lot, but I couldn't even get my car close enough to make it worth while to buy one. I was excited for everyone I saw there... I know it had to be tons-o-fun!! :D

Archived