Innovation Park/University Park/Southwest Campus

stjoe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure folks don't want my opinion, but here is how I would address this if I were mayor.

I would go to St Joe Company and ask them to donate anywhere from 1000 to 2000 acres to FSU for a research park.

st. joe, just recieved an email from ed depuy. he was interested in the research park idea and ask for thoughts on this matter. in not so many different words i shared with him your insight. so far he is the only county commissioner to get back with me on this matter. will keep you posted.

g

Good job G-man! Did you email County and City Commissioner or just County?

hey emailed the county and will continue every week until i get all the commissioners talking. i have emailed the city recently with regard to fsu's master plan, and have mentioned the need for a research park, but have recieved no bites yet. going to do the same with the city......why can't tallahassee and fsu have a research facility like centennial? we can, but we need more forward thinkers like the ones on this board.

keep everyone posted

g

To go along with some of this research park business... I still think we in this community need to find a place for some serious recreation... a nice aquarium where we could possibly have dolphins or manatees, a water park wouldn't hurt seeing has how we are 35 miles from the coast line, or our own version of Wild Adventures (which should have been built in Tallahassee BTW).

st. joe, i have scheduled an appointment with kirby kemper who i believe is the v.p. of r and d at f.s.u.. i am going to pick this guys brain and talk to him about the idea you had for a future research park in tallahassee. st. joe and anybody else on this board if there is something you would like me to ask please feel free and let me know....

research park good....tallahassee need..

g

^ Wow G-man you rock! The fact you set out to get an appointment and did is amazing. I like St.Joe's plan and ideas and think they need no input from me. My question for you is: can we help you in any way? How soon is your appt?

appointment is next thursday at 2 pm. help? just keep writing comissioners, county and city, encouraging the need and benefits of having one.

my vision...........research park, revitalized gaines st., performing arts center, and completed master plan for fsu and famu. all of this will make tallahassee a destination....

thanks

gibson,

That is awesone.

I think the key points for me are that first, FSU consider long term. Because in 20 years, there will be no large tract of land sufficient enough for a research park available. So if FSU waits it will NEVER happen. I think FSU should focus on the Main Campus and Southwest park first, but it should at LEAST get owner ship of 1 or 2 thousand acres from St Joe and at least sit on it until it is ready to move...even if it is 15-20 years from now.

The second is if FSU really wants to reach AAU, it needs MAJOR growth. That is realistically impossible with it's current facilitiy setups. First, there is no critical mass. No one area where high tech is centered at. Taxolog is in one part of town, the med school on the main campus, the mag lab and Eng. school at IP. Truthfully, even if these were ALL in one spot, there would not be enough for critical mass. But you HAVE to start somewhere...and somewhere that folks now there is room to grow, have confidence in the leadership, and it is all about high tech.

The idea of a research hospital (something St Joe has already offered FSU land for FYI) and even a semi condoctor plot can be thrown in with all this. Also, private industry can be provided land if off shoot companies sprout out of all this research. Having room fro private industry is a KEY component to a research park.

It MUST be recongnized that 1. Main Campus and Southwest campus provide little to no true room for growth in the future. FSU is painted in a corner. 2. The state simply hog ties FSU with land acquisition rules and lack of money. The St Joe company might be the one legit out FSU has for greatness.

Just some ideas off of my head.

gibson,

That is awesone.

I think the key points for me are that first, FSU consider long term. Because in 20 years, there will be no large tract of land sufficient enough for a research park available. So if FSU waits it will NEVER happen. I think FSU should focus on the Main Campus and Southwest park first, but it should at LEAST get owner ship of 1 or 2 thousand acres from St Joe and at least sit on it until it is ready to move...even if it is 15-20 years from now.

The second is if FSU really wants to reach AAU, it needs MAJOR growth. That is realistically impossible with it's current facilitiy setups. First, there is no critical mass. No one area where high tech is centered at. Taxolog is in one part of town, the med school on the main campus, the mag lab and Eng. school at IP. Truthfully, even if these were ALL in one spot, there would not be enough for critical mass. But you HAVE to start somewhere...and somewhere that folks now there is room to grow, have confidence in the leadership, and it is all about high tech.

The idea of a research hospital (something St Joe has already offered FSU land for FYI) and even a semi condoctor plot can be thrown in with all this. Also, private industry can be provided land if off shoot companies sprout out of all this research. Having room fro private industry is a KEY component to a research park.

It MUST be recongnized that 1. Main Campus and Southwest campus provide little to no true room for growth in the future. FSU is painted in a corner. 2. The state simply hog ties FSU with land acquisition rules and lack of money. The St Joe company might be the one legit out FSU has for greatness.

Just some ideas off of my head.

st. joe, i would like to know were you research your information? you are well versed and your knowledge is appreciated. i will speak with r and d about this. also, when did st. joe co. offer fsu land for a research hospital? what was the outcome......something similar to shands in gainesville would be desirable.

my last question is st. joe, why aren't you president of fsu, and the mayor of tallahassee? you got the vision man!

emailed the county expressing concerns about the lack of a research park, and emailed the city about the same, as well as gaines st. revitalization, and the need for cooperation in helping fsu and famu realize goals of campus expansion.

could you explain the state rules and regs regarding land acquisition?

g

"st. joe, i would like to know were you research your information? you are well versed and your knowledge is appreciated."

I just happen to love FSU and tend to retain these things I read about FSU. I used to regularly have email with Sandy so that helped.

"when did st. joe co. offer fsu land for a research hospital? what was the outcome......something similar to shands in gainesville would be desirable."

About the time FSU got the College of Medicine. Maybe 4-5 years ago. FSU was only able to sell the COM to the state by basically having it WITHOUT a research hospital, so FSU let the offer pass. They really had no choice...AT THE TIME. My hope has always been that FSU would expand the mission as things got settled.

Ironically, UCF and FIU are possibly getting COMs this march and that could kill the chance of FSU expanding it's mission statement for the COM. Worse, one of FSU's trustees, Jim THrasher, is doing lobbyist work for UCF pushing the COM there. Talk about a conflict of interest. He has no ethics whatsoever.

That ALL said, I do think if St Joe and FSU plan for the future, a research hospital of some type COULD be possible.

"my last question is st. joe, why aren't you president of fsu, and the mayor of tallahassee? you got the vision man!"

I don't think I would win any elections for one.

"emailed the county expressing concerns about the lack of a research park, and emailed the city about the same, as well as gaines st. revitalization, and the need for cooperation in helping fsu and famu realize goals of campus expansion."

I have done similar things in the past. The standard response in Tally is that if FSU gets something, TCC and FAMU must get something in exact proportion as FSU (even if it makes no sense....like COmmunity COlleges don't have 'research' in their mission so why the heck would they need equal say in a research park?). This thought process has gone on to kill many possible benefiical projects like University Park. I don't know that politicals in Tally will allow progress.

But again, St Joe isn't running for office, maybe they would donate that land to FSU and that would be the genesis of a research park in Tally.

"could you explain the state rules and regs regarding land acquisition?"

Basically, the state demands 3 value estimates of a property and then only allows the institution to pay for the average price of those valuations. In essences, this general process doesn't allow the institution to pay market value very often (like what happened at the Symphony property).

If things do work out with the offer price, which is rare for FSU now around the main campus, it still has to have money in the bank (a lot of it) to pay for it. The state just won't fund this for some reason. It isn't logical. They demand FSU to take more students, but refuse to address lack of land. FSU has the most students per acre in the 11 university SUS than any other school by FAR. Not even close.

st. joe with whom do you speak at the city commission? also, whom in the state would you contact with regard to fsu land acquistion?

the state policies towards fsu is a bit confusing.

hey i will be speaking with the city manager michael wright on thursday about several points one being the once proposed research park, fsu campus expansion, and gaines st.. are there any specifics that you feel that i should touch on?

g

st. joe with whom do you speak at the city commission? also, whom in the state would you contact with regard to fsu land acquistion?

hey i will be speaking with the city manager michael wright on thursday about several points one being the once proposed research park, fsu campus expansion, and gaines st.. are there any specifics that you feel that i should touch on?

g

Assistant City Manager Michael Wright... and he's awesome. He's a personal friend of mine and he's very wise. That should be a great conversation Gibson... I get up there often and speak to M'Lisa (his assistant) as she was a second mother to me when I worked for the city manager's office.

Please update us when you get a chance.

Assistant City Manager Michael Wright... and he's awesome. He's a personal friend of mine and he's very wise. That should be a great conversation Gibson... I get up there often and speak to M'Lisa (his assistant) as she was a second mother to me when I worked for the city manager's office.

Please update us when you get a chance.

i will be speaking with him on thursday i believe, have a phone appointment with him.

g

g

gibson,

I have not spoken with any commissioners lately, but I will post an old email below. There is no real specific person in the state to speak with regarding land acquisition. Jeb Bush did veto land acquisition money last year though.

Yes, the policies are confusing, nobody has ever said that the state of Florida has any idea what it is doing when it comes to higher ed....they don't.

I don't have any other points other than the ones mentioned. Good luck.

here is an old response regarding "University Park" I have had:

Tony Grippa

"Dear >>>>,

Thanks for your comments. Let me assure you that politics is playing no

part in my decision to form a committee. In addition, Dr. Law is not

doing

a study, instead he is Chairman of a committee that will hopefully make

University Park a reality. I have been the ONLY PROPONENT on the County

Commission for University Park. I will continue to fight for it because

I

believe it is the right thing for the people of Leon County. However,

some

people have chosen to focus on the process, rather than the project.

Hence,

forth I am trying to create an all inclusive process, so that we can get

back to the merits of the project. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks again for your comments.

Tony"

I have some others from FSU, but they only say some of the things I have made here.

Man Ole "Get a Grip" Grippa use to not be one of my fav County Commissioners, but w/this response on a research park and his stance on the Turbocor vote, I'm beginning to tolerate him much better.

How old approximately is that reply from him stjoe?

poonther,

Well over a year ago.

st. joe, i emailed every city and county commissioner. received a reply from mustian about innovation park......he believes that the only real way to go to realize the true possibilities, which are much greater is to coordinate their primary economic development efforts with FSU. He also mentioned that he is attempting to persuade the county and city commission to follow his lead.

just going to keep sending emails.....to all these guys until i get answers and get them talking....getting the city to coordinate primarily with FSU is a step in the right direction

also received reply from depuy stating he believed in it as well....but wanted to coordinate with FSU, FAMU, TCC. i commented in a reply that coordinating with all three just will not work and i asked him to comment on it, which i have yet to receive.

keep all posted....

who knows what all this means....

g

I still think we need consolidated government for Tallahasse/Leon County to truly move forward on a lot of the issues we discuss here. We only have one municipality so why do we need 2 complete government structures, 2 boards of commissioners, the duplicity of all the services, etc. A consolidated government could end a lot of this political posturing & jockying for who gets what. It's just my opinion but I'd certainly vote for consolidation....it seems to work for Jacksonville so why not here in our own Capital City?

I still think we need consolidated government for Tallahasse/Leon County to truly move forward on a lot of the issues we discuss here. We only have one municipality so why do we need 2 complete government structures, 2 boards of commissioners, the duplicity of all the services, etc. A consolidated government could end a lot of this political posturing & jockying for who gets what. It's just my opinion but I'd certainly vote for consolidation....it seems to work for Jacksonville so why not here in our own Capital City?

Tallahassee (Pet Peeve)... and I agree 100%

• 1 year later...

New world record set at FSU Mag Lab

FSU and Super-Power Inc. set new magnetic field world record

Chris Whitmore

The Florida State University National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (NHMFL), also known as the Mag Lab, and partner SuperPower Inc. worked together to create a world record for a magnetic field using a superconducting magnet.

The record of 26.8 tesla was set July 20 at the High Field Test Facility. The new record magnetic field was more than 1.8 tesla higher than the previous record. The magnet's coil was wound by New York based SuperPower with a high-temperature superconductor called yttrium barium copper oxide (YBCO). The Mag Lab's Applied Superconductivity Center has previously worked with SuperPower to run tests on YBCO.

"There is a possibility to even begin to replace some of the varied resistive magnets that we have here with superconducting magnets, and that would make a large decrease in the electric power consumption here," said W. Denis Markiewicz, a scientist at the NHMFL.

for more

Source: FSView

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Innovation Park Interview

with Linda Nicholson

I just got off the phone with Linda Nicholson, Director of Innovation Park who was very kind in answering a few questions for me. I asked several about the park's ongoing progress, the recruitment efforts, and some challenges facing the park as they seek new growth. Here are some things I learned.

The Applied Superconductivity Institute that FSU recent pulled into the park from Wisconsin, is responsible for turning the innovations of the MagLab into marketable products and companies. We should look to see great things "hatch" from their efforts in the coming year.

Last year was one of the more successful years to date for the park. They saw the construction of 6-8 new buildings, the park is nearing 1 Million sq.ft in space, and is about to reach the 2,000 employee mark. These are all research and development jobs, and do not include other employees who made provide support to the various entities.

They offer a Technology Commercialization grant to ANYONE seeking to turn a product into a marketable venture. $15,000.

Danfoss Turbocor chose the park because the the access to both the Magnetic Lab and the School of Engineering. The location of the company is said to have been a Boost to the school of Engineering's efforts to recruit students.

I asked about I-10 and the airport. I-10 is still considered an asset to the park, yet not as much as the airport. Prices at the airport continue to be an issue for the park, one which seems to be beyond their control. Their hope is that Tallahassee is able to land a low-cost carrier to help boost travel to and from the City.

One of the more interesting tid-bits of the conversation centered around the impression executives have about the area surrounding the park. I think most would agree, the Park itself, with it's beautiful greens, nice buildings, high-tech tenants, and clean atmosphere is attractive, not to mention FSU's Golf Course, however, executives have made mentions of this area not having the type of housing conducive to their lifestyles. Ms. Nicholson points to housing at Southwood as a boost to the selection in the area, yet the area immediately surrounding the Airport needs some attention.

What are some ways we can Push for lower prices at our airport?

• Sit-ins at Commission Meetings

• Petition Drives

• Letters to Airlines

• Other?

In what ways could we boost the image of that area of town as a "Place to Live"? It's going to take some creativity, but it's possible. Any ideas?

Archived