Midtown economic development

Doug L

I have written to the State Newspaper letters to the editor:

"I don't know if the city of Columbia has an office of economic development or whether it does not. If it does, it surely needs better leadership and financing! If it does not, it needs one badly.

Over the years Columbia has lost most of its headquarter offices in midtown to the suburbs and to other cities. This trend must be reversed or the renaissance we are experiencing will surely die and reverse. We MUST be aggressively seeking new regional and home offices to relocate to Columbia midtown. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people looking to live in midtown; the city must do all that it can to supply jobs for them.

Right now USC is doing more to attract occupants of new office/research space than the city is doing! We CANNOT afford to depend so heavily on a single source of development. Already, USC is wagging Columbia like the tail and the dog.

There is a business concept that our city council has yet to learn. That is if you want to make money you must first spend money!"

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city does have an office of economic development: City of Columbia Office of Economic Development. However, that website and the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce website are very outdated and not very visually appealing, especially when compared with those of other cities. The lack of presentation gives off the impression that economic investment isn't a top priority in the city.

The city does have an office of economic development: City of Columbia Office of Economic Development. However, that website and the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce website are very outdated and not very visually appealing, especially when compared with those of other cities. The lack of presentation gives off the impression that economic investment isn't a top priority in the city.

I agree. I've browsed those sites a number of times and they are never of any help. They haven't been updated in a few years and are really embarrassing. I think it's VERY important for these sites to be both appealing and up-to-date. Remember, these are the same sites people are browsing when they have an interest in moving to Columbia -- whether it's individuals or businesses. What a disgrace!

Archived