Health Care worth 18.3 billion to Nashville economy

smeagolsfree

I knew the health care industry in Nashville was big but had no idea that it was worth this much to the economy, not to mention 1 out of every 5 jobs. We know what the 3rd highest ranked industry in Nashville is, with the music industry. Does anyone care to speculate about the rest of the top 5 industries in Nashville.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...13/daily17.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Publishing is, in fact, one of the largest industries, and when you throw in printing it's a mammoth contributor to the economy.

Just one facet is religious publications, with LifeWay, United Methodist Communications and Thomas Nelson, et al.

Printing and Publishing at one time was the first or second largest industry in town. No slouch now.

jice hit it. Healthcare is #1, Tourism is #2, Music is #3. Don't know the others, but suspect publishing/printing might be #4.

Printing used to be the #1 industry for many years, hence Printer's Alley. Music took over #1 in the 70's I think, then Healthcare overtook that in the mid 90's

i read a while back that boston and kansas city had very prosperous healthcare industries - may have changed though

yeah i would definately put nashville's #1 industry as healthcare, followed by music, and then i would say publishing, especially religious publishing - i dont think banks play a huge role in nashville's economy because the #2 bank capital of the u.s. is in (fairly) nearby charlotte, as well as atlanta

No, as I stated before: Healthcare is #1, Tourism is #2, Music is #3. The line is blurred on Tourism a bit because the CM Hall of Fame and Fan-Fair (now Country Music Appreciation Festival) count towards tourism and both have a huge $$$ impact. I never could find anything that definitely stated publishing was fourth though.

No, as I stated before: Healthcare is #1, Tourism is #2, Music is #3. The line is blurred on Tourism a bit because the CM Hall of Fame and Fan-Fair (now Country Music Appreciation Festival) count towards tourism and both have a huge $$$ impact. I never could find anything that definitely stated publishing was fourth though.

That's a good point about the lines being blurred. I wonder if you were to take all of the music-related tourism away from the tourism industry in Nashville... and counted it toward the music industry... if then music (along with its generated tourism) would be #1 above healthcare?

I would think that government (Capitol of Tennessee), and Education (something like 12 Colleges and Universities including Vanderbilt) contribute tremendously to the Nashville economy as well. I believe you would find them way up on the list.

Also, my apologies, it's CMA Music Festival (I'm obviously still trying to remember the new name!)

What so funny is that the people that come to town for it, still call it by the Fan Fare name. It was that way for so long I dont think it will ever truly change. Besides Fan Fare has a better ring to it than the CMA music fest. I would not apologize to them for their mistake.

Archived