Valley View site for mall makeover

weill

The owners of Valley View Mall are planning an expansion that would add several thousand square feet to Roanoke's suburban shopping center.

Site plans filed Monday in Roanoke City's planning department reveal that CBL & Associates Properties, the Chattanooga, Tenn.-based mall owner, wants to build The District at Valley View, a complex of at least 10 retailers, each ranging in size from 1,500 square feet to 27,185 square feet. The buildings, which presumably would contain retailers and restaurants, are planned to go up in the side of the mall parking lot that faces Valley View Boulevard and stretches in front of Sears, a Valley View food court entrance and one entrance of J.C. Penney.

The expansion would add about 58,000 square feet to the mall, which now totals 787,255 square feet of leasable space. Valley View's anchors include Belk, Hecht's, Old Navy, J.C. Penney and Sears.

CBL's site includes plans for a vacant movie theater at Valley View, located by Sears, to be renovated and expanded to create a 27,185-square-foot building, likely an anchor tenant. Parking would be located in the center of the buildings and an additional entrance into the shopping center would be created off of Ring Road, the road that surrounds the mall.

According to the plans, the new development would be an open-air center, rather than a covered-in mall style.

No retailers were named for the new center, and CBL spokeswoman Deborah Gibb would not comment about the company's plans.

"We don't have any official information that we're releasing at this time," she said.

Click this to read full story.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres some news:

Carrabba's Italian Grill likely is coming to Roanoke.

An owner of the new Roanoke Carrabba's says the restaurant will open at a new retail center planned at Valley View Mall, though a spokeswoman for the upscale Italian chain based in Florida would not confirm that it will have a Roanoke Valley presence.

Michael Wright, a Roanoke resident, said that Carrabba's will move into a 5,800-square-foot spot at the District at Valley View in July. The new shopping center would consist of at least 10 different shops and restaurants, ranging in size from 1,500 square feet to 27,000 square feet. The buildings would go up in the parking lot in front of one side of Sears, a mall food-court entrance and one entrance of J.C.Penney.

For complete story: http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/wb/xp-53145

How does Borders compare to Barnes and Noble and Books-a-Million? I've heard good things about them but have never been in one. I find things at BaM that B/N doesn't have and vice versa so I usually end up going to both whenever I'm in a book or magazine buying mood which is almost weekly. The only locally owned book stores I like are Printers Ink and Givens. Too Many Books will never get another dime out of me.

double edit: nevermind

Heres some news:

Carrabba's Italian Grill likely is coming to Roanoke.

An owner of the new Roanoke Carrabba's says the restaurant will open at a new retail center planned at Valley View Mall, though a spokeswoman for the upscale Italian chain based in Florida would not confirm that it will have a Roanoke Valley presence.

Michael Wright, a Roanoke resident, said that Carrabba's will move into a 5,800-square-foot spot at the District at Valley View in July. The new shopping center would consist of at least 10 different shops and restaurants, ranging in size from 1,500 square feet to 27,000 square feet. The buildings would go up in the parking lot in front of one side of Sears, a mall food-court entrance and one entrance of J.C.Penney.

For complete story: http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/wb/xp-53145

That's great news for Roanoke! Are you going to try it out when it opens?

electricmonk- You will enjoy borders believe me It is one of my favorite book stores theres a few here in Richmond. They have a really great Cafe in them. But i'm not sure if all of them have a cafe or not but I only go to the one here on Broad St. But you all will definitly enjoy borders its probably my favorite book & Music Store.

Borders is a great store. Most times I like it better than Barnes & Noble, though B&N has them beat on ambiance.

I have only been in a few Borders but the ones I have been in seem sterile and almost univiting. Most B@N seem to be inviting on the other hand with large stuffed chairs available for perusing their many selections.

I have only been in a few Borders but the ones I have been in seem sterile and almost univiting. Most B@N seem to be inviting on the other hand with large stuffed chairs available for perusing their many selections.

They both seem about the same to me. They are to books what Lowe's is to Hardware: large selection, low-ish prices, and barely anyone working who's knowledgeable about the products.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was told from a mall employee that Barnes and Noble is going where the old Carmike Cinema is located at (across from Regis). Supposedly Subway & The Great American Pretzel Maker is moving for this. This sounds like Barnes and Noble will have a mall opening, so does that now classify B&N as an anchor store to VVM? I'm in favor of this new "District" at Valley View. Parking is going to suck like crazy at Holiday time due to all that parking from Sears to Penneys GONE! I also want to know what the JCPenney renovation is going to look like to be in concordance with this new District coming in.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the Wal-Mart at Valley View's color schemes on the outside resembles the color schemes of Starbucks, Subway and that strip center that was built a few months ago in the edges of the Wal-Mart parking lot?

Did it take that for Wal-Mart to renovate? It still sucks, but hey I'm there every other week getting groceries so what can I do huh?

B&N is going to need all that space. It'll really wake up that end of the mall. The lower level near Sears has been a dead zone for years.

There's going to be parking in the middle of the new District, so it'll be different, but not impossible to find a space on that side of the mall.

I don't know what Penney's will end up looking like, but I figure it'll be like the one at Southpoint in Durham, NC.

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2005/01/jcpe...int-durham.html

I'm going to miss that JCPenney design. If nothing else at Valley View screams "1985," that does.

Wal-Mart looks better, but it's going to take some getting used to. I don't know my way around there anymore.

• 3 months later...

Archived