Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vicupstate

Goose Creek annexes Daniel Island developer's next project

Summerville probably was, but being that its in Berkeley County, the move doens't suprise me. And hey, at least this will be high quality sprawl.

That graphic makes SC's piecemeal annexation legislation look horrible. It's crazy that someone could actually be surrounded by the city and not actually be IN the city.

^ The piecemeal annexations are truly embarrassing to say the least. However, I foresee this as only the beginning. We're looking at the cities of Chas, Summerville, and Goose Creek potentially extending their limits far beyond the current boundaries. They really need to concentrate on annexing the donut holes within the limits and densifying. Populations would still grow, and a more suitable urban environment could be achieved.

Usually proactive zoning (getting land before it is developed) is more effective. This is a problem that Upstate cities are facing. Annexing built up areas takes a lot more time.

This is true, and I guess it explains why Rock Hill has had relatively great success in expansion and growth (even by NC standards with its liberal annexation laws).