The Triad's Future Interstates

Tre 4

i285ban.jpg

I-85 Winston-Salem Connector

This future interstate highway starts at the current I-85/Business 85-US 29/52/70 interchange near Lexington and proceeds north up US 52 to its interchange with I-40 in Winston-Salem. Getting an interstate designation for this highway is part of an effort by Winston-Salem and Davidson County officials to boost economic development in the area. (1) Parts of the highway are currently not up to interstate standards and will have to be improved before full interstate designation can be applied. AASHTO approved the I-285 designation on September 8, 2005 after the FHWA approved the number for the highway on June 29 (1,2). Though the highway can now be signed by NCDOT as Future I-285 until a project to upgrade the US 52 freeway to interstate standards is complete it now appears that only 'Future I-285 Corridor' signs, put up in February 2006, will mark the route until that time (hope to have a photo soon). The new 2006-2012 STIP released in July 2005 calls for this $2.5 million project (Number R-4750), mostly highway shoulder improvements, to start in 2011. (3) AASHTO's approval comes after a rejection earlier this year at the May 6, 2005 meeting of AASHTO's Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering and the rejection of NCDOT's first application to have this route designated first as I-185 in 2003. An I-285 shield for this route first appeared on NCDOT's "Strategic Highway Corridors" Triad Area Vision map of September 2004 with a disclaimer stating the route number had not officially been approved by the FHWA or AASHTO.*

A further I-285 extension? As shown in the Strategic Corridors Triad Area map above, I-285 is shown as extending north 10 miles through Winston-Salem to what will be the intersection with the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway (I-74/I-274). A note on the map says the "I-285 Shield is Extended from I-40 to I-74 if US 52 is Improved to Interstate Standards."(4) NCDOT now estimates upgrading of this stretch of US 52 would cost at least $500 million. (1) A project to upgrade US 52 appears in the 2006-2012 STIP, Number U-2826. Though a funded design-build project, no start date is listed, meaning it is unlikely to start before 2012. (5)

I-40 Greensboro

Better number for the current I-40 freeway from Business 85 west to the future I-40 interchange with the Greensboro Urban Loop, replacing the I-40 designation when moved onto the Loop in 2007. NCDOT currently plans this to be designated as Business Loop 40 but, unlike the now Business Loop 85 through Greensboro, this route is up to current interstate standards and was just modernized to a 6 to 8 lane freeway.

roadimprov_lg.gif

Rest of the story's at. NC Highways W-S Highways

:wub:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Triad will be getting alot of new interstates. In addition to I-840 in Greensboro. Hwy 29 in Greensboro will be designated I-785 all the way to Danville, VA. If that extension goes all the way to Baltimore, I-785 will be called I-83.

future I-785 in Greensboro

i-785_nc_sign.jpg

Greensboro Beltway

future840n-prince.jpg

fut840a-malme.jpg

This is a great start.

My suggestions:

I 474, the western portion of the little jog or split at the southern end of the Winston-Salen Beltway

I 673, the future PTI Connector giving Forsyth County an I 73 connection (Guilford County already has an I 74)

I 877, the part of US 421 from I 77 to I 40 - this would be really an important connection to I 77 and usefull addition that no one ever seems to mention. US 421 in that location is already almost at interstate standards, and in fact is signed in orange "Alternate" I 40? What's up with this? I know why, but it's a convention I've never seen anywhere else in the U.S.

AND I 1040, instead of Green or Business 40 through Winston Salem. This would be unprecedented as the first 4-digit loop in the nation. It is necessary because the green interstates are not appropriate for this type of freeway (same for the greens in Greensboro), and all of the even designations of I 40 are now used in the State. Also, this, in my opinion, is very important for development of PTRP and the National Center for Design. It must be even because odd is reserved for spurs, that is, interstates that dead end into a city, whilst even numbers loop cities or connect other interstates!

This is a great start.

My suggestions:

I 474, the western portion of the little jog or split at the southern end of the Winston-Salen Beltway

I 673, the future PTI Connector giving Forsyth County an I 73 connection (Guilford County already has an I 74)

I 877, the part of US 421 from I 77 to I 40 - this would be really an important connection to I 77 and usefull addition that no one ever seems to mention. US 421 in that location is already almost at interstate standards, and in fact is signed in orange "Alternate" I 40? What's up with this? I know why, but it's a convention I've never seen anywhere else in the U.S.

AND I 1040, instead of Green or Business 40 through Winston Salem. This would be unprecedented as the first 4-digit loop in the nation. It is necessary because the green interstates are not appropriate for this type of freeway (same for the greens in Greensboro), and all of the even designations of I 40 are now used in the State. Also, this, in my opinion, is very important for development of PTRP and the National Center for Design. It must be even because odd is reserved for spurs, that is, interstates that dead end into a city, whilst even numbers loop cities or connect other interstates!

Actually 421 in Forsyth County is really not up to interstate standards. It has no emergency lanes and hardly any of its exit lanes are multi-lane at the end which is a requirement for interstates. I think Bus 40 in Winston needs to be upgraded completley and signed as an interstate highway and not a business one.

Archived