2008 Republican National Convention

krazeeboi

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to get in trouble again if I go off on my soapbox...so I will only say having the Republican Convention would play well with the majority of Charlotteans. I just happen to be in the growing minority that would take a vacation in Asheville or Chapel Hill during that time.

I am going to get in trouble again if I go off on my soapbox...so I will only say having the Republican Convention would play well with the majority of Charlotteans. I just happen to be in the growing minority that would take a vacation in Asheville or Chapel Hill during that time.

Again, your rhetoric doesn't meet reality. Mecklenburg county was one of the few counties in NC that went for Kerry in the last election, the county commission is controlled by Democrats, and the city council is also controlled by Democrats. The only reason that Pat McCroy keeps winning the Mayor posts as a Republican, is because the local democratic party keeps nominating idiots to run against him. Even then, there are not enough republicans on the council for him to pass any legislation without support from democrats. Did you honestly want Craig Madams to win the last election? He was running on a platform that mass transit was waste of money. :sick:

Within the city, the voting pattern is Democratic. Overall, the region is decidedly Republican. I am happy about Dem control over both governing councils and we need to encourage voter turnout that is even larger to keep our slim majorities. I did vote for Craig Madans. I realize he had no chance of winning but I could not stomach voting for McCrory because of his social views. I realize it was a protest vote. Madans had about as much chance of winning as Kucinch did the Presidency.

I don't see how it could hurt Charlotte's image. It was in NYC in 2004, and I don't think many people view that city as a conservative stronghold.

We've had the HRC conference and the NRA....at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the positive economic benefits.

...so I will only say having the Republican Convention would play well with the majority of Charlotteans.

Within the city, the voting pattern is Democratic.

I remember them calling Kerry a flipflopper.

:whistling:

I'm really getting tired of these comments that only serve to inflame people. If you want to complain about Republicans, go do it in the Coffee House. That is what it is there for. But stop making blanket comments on the people of Charlotte here.

I agree. I think most people realize there are democrats and republicans everywhere, and so having the republicans here won't create any negative reputation for the city.

To add on the M.m's examples of democratic power in this area, I'd also add that many of Charlotte's powerful business leaders have been democrats, Mr. McColl being a prime example.

I somehow doubt we will get this convention, but I definitely agree with atlrvr, we need a national spotlight and economic return on our convention center and hotel business. It doesn't really matter if those conventions are mennonites, trekkies, or philatelists, just get them spending money here :).

I wonder if we get the Nascar HOF whether that would have an impact on getting this.

Just wear your bullet proof face mask...the Veep will be in town if we get it. :ph34r: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I think it would be a great thing for Charlotte. As an independent with Democratic leanings, I would think the economic benefits would be a boon for our city, regardless of party affiliation. I don't think we'd have a snowball's chance in hell of getting it though. We still don't have enough hotel rooms.

Would Charlotte have enough high end hotel rooms ?

nope. but theres always the beautiful ascot inn. with heart shaped jacuzzis and walking distance to the uptown cabaret - it'll have a repube thinking like a clinton. my pop always said, "if it's good enough for ron jeremy, it'll do for bill frist".

seriously, mexico city would have a better chance of getting this.

I say go for it. The Republicans have held conventions before in New Orleans, New York... which were not particularly supportive places for their policies. There will be protesters and demonstrators anywhere the convention is held.

Of course Chicago has had real bad experience with National Conventions including the 1968 Democratic convention that ended in a bloodbath. The Mayor had to call in the Army, National guard and thousands of police to subdue the crowds, riots and conventioneers. No doubt today's conventions are absolutely tame in comparison (the people don't care anymore). However, Chicago's real reasons for not wasting time on this are so they don't tie up resources. They are working to get the 2016 Olympics there and have said a Republican Convention bid would take too much away from that effort.

http://www.chicagohs.org/history/politics/1968.html

First of all I must say that I can't imagine voting for any Republican in a million years. However after mentioning that, I think the 2008 GOP Convention would be a HUGE event for Charlotte and truly get people from all over the country saying "....so this is Charlotte:)"

Funny how no one predicts demonstrations at the Dems' convention.

Yes I agree there will be enormous marches and protests at the GOP Convention, no matter where it's held. Just because Charlotte seems to be edging toward becoming a full-fledged Democrat City, the convention would be wildly beneficial for the city!

If not 2008, by 2012 there might be enough Uptown hotel rooms to pull it off

First of all I must say that I can't imagine voting for any Republican in a million years. However after mentioning that, I think the 2008 GOP Convention would be a HUGE event for Charlotte and truly get people from all over the country saying "....so this is Charlotte:)"

Funny how no one predicts demonstrations at the Dems' convention.

Yes I agree there will be enormous marches and protests at the GOP Convention, no matter where it's held. Just because Charlotte seems to be edging toward becoming a full-fledged Democrat City, the convention would be wildly beneficial for the city!

If not 2008, by 2012 there might be enough Uptown hotel rooms to pull it off

That's funny, i would never in a million years vote Democrat, but i would be all for a Democratic convention here. :)

BTW - There would be demonstrations too. Trust me. There are people that will demonstrate against everything.

Attention all people considering protesting outside of a politcial convention:

You will change no minds! Nothing will happen. Nobody will remember what you did, or said. You will make a lot of noise, pat yourselves on the back, and then go home.

That is all.

Attention all people considering protesting outside of a politcial convention:

You will change no minds! Nothing will happen. Nobody will remember what you did, or said. You will make a lot of noise, pat yourselves on the back, and then go home.

That is all.

Very true. Especially now since they have these "freedom of speech zones".

Archived