Republicans invite N.O. to bid for 2008 convention

NCB

Republicans invite N.O. to bid for 2008 convention

Article

The RNC has several basic requirements for the host city.

--A main convention facility capable of seating at least 20,500.

--A city and its host committee's willingness and ability to provide and pay for security for the convention.

--City must be able to make available to the RNC's planning committee 20,000 hotel rooms and 2,102 bedroom suites.

I'd be interested in hearing some outside opinions on this one. What do you think the chances of New Orleans hosting the RNC are?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any publicity for New Orleans is good publicity. If they want to talk up the problems in New Olreans insincerely and to gain support, good for them and good for Louisiana. The more people are educated about the situation, the better chance we have of getting proper funding.

My own personal hope is that the issue can be used in the campaign so that the two Presidential candidates engage in some kind of bidding war over the Louisiana vote, but that can only happen if we in Louisiana put our partisan politics aside and vote for the candidate who will serve us. Most of the issues that affect the people of Louisiana won't matter in 100 years when a large portion of southern coastal Louisiana is gobbled up by the sea.

As far as I'm concerned, whoever will give New Orleans and Louisiana the best deal gets my vote.

• 3 weeks later...

Any publicity for New Orleans is good publicity. If they want to talk up the problems in New Olreans insincerely and to gain support, good for them and good for Louisiana. The more people are educated about the situation, the better chance we have of getting proper funding.

My own personal hope is that the issue can be used in the campaign so that the two Presidential candidates engage in some kind of bidding war over the Louisiana vote, but that can only happen if we in Louisiana put our partisan politics aside and vote for the candidate who will serve us. Most of the issues that affect the people of Louisiana won't matter in 100 years when a large portion of southern coastal Louisiana is gobbled up by the sea.

As far as I'm concerned, whoever will give New Orleans and Louisiana the best deal gets my vote.

I think New Orleans should try and host both conventions. It would be great for the city and it would make it less an argument that one party is exploiting the city.

I think New Orleans should try and host both conventions. It would be great for the city and it would make it less an argument that one party is exploiting the city.

Is New Orleans trying to host both conventions? I've heard things saying the city is only trying to host one, and heard other things saying the city is trying to host both.

I'm a Republican, so this is definitely something I like to hear. The only problem is, in many cases career politicians are sleazy people. I would hate to see any side turn this into a soapbox, but like some of you have said... if their intentions are well, then so be it.

Is New Orleans trying to host both conventions? I've heard things saying the city is only trying to host one, and heard other things saying the city is trying to host both.

I think it's wishful thinking to think New Orleans can get both conventions.

I would hope, given the state of the city, that they can get one. I really don't care which one, just get people in there talking about New Orleans. All of the media would come to New Orleans, all of the politicos would come, and hopefully one of our leaders could get a primetime speech and gain some national clout to help us even more.

Hopefully, in 2008 we'll be a long way from where we are now, but we will still be in need of a lot of help.

The question is, could the city support the conventions? They aren't cheap and they aren't always easy to pull off.

Archived