• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atlrvr

Multi-family housing share declining?

I have kept reading that Charlotte is "urbanizing" with with share of multi-family housing share increasing.

I checked permit records today and was shocked to see the opposite to be true, the share of Single-Family housing is increasing, and the multi-family share is decreasing. On top of that, not only is the multi-family share decreasing, but the absolute number of multi-family units are declining as well.

The data only reports for all of Mecklenburg County, so I don't have anything Charlotte specific.

Year - % Multi-family homes of all new construction

2000 - 39.7%

2001 - 34.0%

2002 - 21.2%

2003 - 23.0%

2004 - 28.9%

2005 - 21.7%

Absolute # of multi-family units

2000 - 5,396

2001 - 4,292

2002 - 2,249

2003 - 2,263

2004 - 3,443

2005 - 2,355

All that said, a suburban townhouse community is no different than a suburban single-family community if neither is located in an urban context, except that the townhouse community will generate more traffic per acre.