Highest City in Eastern NA in North Carolina

monsoon

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I used to live in Santa Fe, NM. elevation 7000' with parts of the city above 8000'. A land of beautiful vistas but there is no low land nearby to compare to. Leadville, CO is above 10,000'. Most cities in the west are above 1000', even phoenix I believe.

• 1 year later...

Are there any trails, facilities, etc. at the top of Mt. Mitchell?

Yes. Mt. Mitchell State Park includes numerous long trails ranging from easy to quite difficult. During the summer months the state also operates a small restaurant in a log cabin type of place where you can sit and watch the clouds roll by the mountains. Often it is cool enough, even in July where you will find a log burning in the fire place. At the actual summit there is another small place selling drinks and snacks, a museum devoted to the wildlife and plants at these elevations, and another on the environment. The park is located off the Blue Ridge parkway and usually can't be accessed during periods starting in late Nov to late March because of ice and snow.

Yes. Mt. Mitchell State Park includes numerous long trails ranging from easy to quite difficult. During the summer months the state also operates a small restaurant in a log cabin type of place where you can sit and watch the clouds roll by the mountains. Often it is cool enough, even in July where you will find a log burning in the fire place. At the actual summit there is another small place selling drinks and snacks, a museum devoted to the wildlife and plants at these elevations, and another on the environment. The park is located off the Blue Ridge parkway and usually can't be accessed during periods starting in late Nov to late March because of ice and snow.

Just thought I would add one other interesting fact about Mt. Mitchell:

Snow has been recorded at the summit of Mt. Mitchell in EVERY month of the year. (this includes July and August).

Granted it might have been only a trace in August, but I thought it was impressive enough to post.

Another famous peak in NC is Grandfather, the highest point in the Blue Ridge.

A2

NC has the Highest Point in the Appalatians or how ever you spell that. Mt Washington in NH is the tallest point north of NC and east of the Mississippi River

Mt. Washington has some of the fiercest weather in all of the world. Scientists from all over the globe have come to observe and measure astounding weather phenomena at the summit. You are right about it being the tallest North of the Black Mountain range in NC.

I have been many times to the NC mountains as well as West Virginia in the winter. It is Harsh to say the least. But, NH's Mt Washington can only be compared to conditions near the artic circle. :o

A2

The peak of Mount Mitchell is pretty far from "natural". It's a developed state park and a tourist attraction, which I think is kind of a shame. There is a giant parking lot on the mountain's shoulder (Perhaps the highest parking lot east of the Mississippi?) with a large, wide, heavily graded and well-maintained, half-mile trail that goes all the way to the top. There is an observation tower once you get to the top.

I had no idea about this, but supposedly the tower will be replaced and the trail improved further sometime this year for the sake of accessibility. The tower will be a low-profile, ramp accessible 360 degree platform; the trail will be realigned and paved for a slighter grade and wheelchair access.

Mt. Mitchell is nice because - after all - it is the tallest - but mankind's footprint on that mountain is a bit too heavy for me. If you actually want to experience nature there are about a billion better places to do it, but if it's gotta be Mitchell, I recommend the hike from Black Mountain Campground. It's about 5 miles one way and very strenuous (climbs 3500 feet) but the scenery is 10 times nicer when you get there - because your car didn't do all the work for you. :)

The peak of Mount Mitchell is pretty far "natural". It's a developed state park and a tourist attraction, which I think is kind of a shame. There is a giant parking lot on the mountain's shoulder (Perhaps the highest parking lot east of the Mississippi?) with a large, wide, heavily graded and well-maintained, half-mile trail that goes all the way to the top. There is an observation tower once you get to the top.

I had no idea about this, but supposedly the tower will be replaced and the trail improved further sometime this year for the sake of accessibility. The tower will be a low-profile, ramp accessible 360 degree platform; the trail will be realigned and paved for a slighter grade and wheelchair access.

Mt. Mitchell is nice because - after all - it is the tallest - but mankind's footprint on that mountain is a bit too heavy for me. If you actually want to experience nature there are about a billion better places to do it, but if it's gotta be Mitchell, I recommend the hike from Black Mountain Campground. It's about 5 miles one way and very strenuous (climbs 3500 feet) but the scenery is 10 times nicer when you get there - because your car didn't do all the work for you. :)

I agree orluz. I am up in the mountains pretty much every time I get a chance. I would say that Black mountian has to be one of the best. It is far removed from "man's" influence. I guess it is the lazy man's mountian, much like Grandfather.

However on a positive note it is nice to have the road to the summit for those who are not phisically able to see the beauty of the mountains. I have seen many people on the mountain who were in a wheelchair and are still able to enjoy nature and the vistas.

:)

A2

Maybe I misunderstand. but Grandfather Mountain is not as tall as Mt. Mitchell. It's not even #2.

It is the tallest along the Blue Ridge Mountain Range. It is just shy of 6K @ 5964 feet.

The Black Mountain range is the tallest range in the Eastern US. With 6 of the ten peaks above 6500 feet. Here is a snipit from a great site.

Although the Black Mountain range is higher, its length and breadth do not equal that of the nearby Blue Ridge or Great Smoky mountains. From the air, the range bears the shape of the letter J, and the distance between its end points

Ok, haha. As we all know Mt. Mitchell is the tallest in eastern North America.

But here are a couple of photos of Grandfather Mountain that I took last year on the way back from skiing from Sugar or Beech. (don't remember now as I was going every week then :lol: )

This is the always quite thrilling mile high swinging bridge at Grandfather Mountain in NC.

110_1056.jpg

110_1058.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the mountains, I was browsing around and found this map, updated just two days ago it seems (10/21/05)...

foliage_ma_cur_720x486.jpg

Has anyone checked out the colors in the mountains this fall--are they very good this year. The drought we had (in the Piedmont anyway) hasn't done much for the fall colors here, but I know the mountains are often spectacular regardless. Any pics to share?

Archived