2008 Republican National Convention

Minneapolitan

I myself am not seeing Los Angeles or San Francisco as good contendors for this. California is pridominately Liberal, so I would immediately rule these two out.

it was in san diego a few years back. plus, the last repube convention was in new york city and she's pretty liberal. i think it benefits the party to have it in a city that you don't control the majority of voters.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is important to note that San Diego is overwhelmingly conservative (as per voting records). Okay, maybe not overwhelmingly, but it's pretty red for a solid blue state.

As for New York.. It was more of convenience. The Republicans are courting NYC voters after the September 11th. It may be a liberal city.. but they have been known to overstep their boundaries and elect people like Michael Bloomberg and Giuliani.

But I understand your point, cinco... you might as well put your convention in at least a middle of the road city. If it goes well, it might net you a few votes in the end.

I hope KC gets it in 2012 or 2016 (hopefully 2016)...

The reason is:

Downtown will be much more progressive than it is now and the city will have grown more.

If the voters vote to renovate the Royals and Chiefs' stadiums and build a rolling roof for them, then the NFL said they will grant us the Super Bowl in 2015. (Super Bowl 49)

So, getting the Republican Convention in 2016 would be perfect.

Of course, the Democratic Convention in 2016 would be nice too. I don't care about political affiliation, any major convention is good for a city.

The last time we had the Democratic Convention, it was 1900, the Republican in 1976

Wouldn't it be cool if each party had a circuit of cities (kind of like the Super Bowl)? Like the Republicans could have 4 republican-friendly cities that rotated the convention every four years (let's say Dallas, Atlanta, Salt Lake City and Cincinnati) and the Democrats could have four democrat-friendly cities (how about Boston, Portland, San Francisco, Chicago). Just an idea.

Most every city leans (at the least) Democratic within city limits and has more conservative burbs. So the argument to not host it would void every city. Second, it will not reflect on a city being conservative (or the DNC making a city liberal). Additionally cities are metros. If we are talking about the Twin Cities or Dallas hosting - it is the region (whether the burbs pay or not) that is represented as a host.

NYC hosted the RNC and is NYC considered more conservative? No.

They should have it in New orleans. They certainly owe them. I think they are going to choose a place like pittsburgh or Detroit trying to expand their base in Democratic cities.

They would have to try very hard.

I'm sure this is a fantastically idiotic question but how do cities get "invited" to submit bids? Does the RNC (and DNC, for that matter) draw up a big master list of cities and then inform each city that they're on the list and they should commence competing? I never really thought about the selection process before..

• 2 months later...

I am surprised NY is a finalist since that is where the last one was held.

Rudy might end up winning the nomination. I think he could get some of the more moderate republicans and do respsectable in New Hampshire. If McCain isn't in it, he would probably win all the moderate states, including New York. If NY goes red for Rudy, Republicans win.

I'm not sure the liberal or conservative nature of a city has much to do with it. NYC is very liberal but they hosted last time as was mentioned. The Democratic Con in LA, also very liberal, was pretty ugly. Downtown LA was a mass of security and riots and such. I went downtown and it was bizarre. Lines of police and streets blocked off and mobs roving around.

Minneapolis/St. Paul are both likely top 4 contenders for both conventions and the Twin Cities are historically liberal.

Even if the republicans do have their convention in the Twin Cities I can't see Minnesota supporting the republican for president, especially in 2008. There are too many die hard democrats out there that want their social programs and they aren't gonna give up the "struggle" for the little guy, as many say.

But either way, I'd love to see either party have a convention in Minnesota. Maybe our scandinavian stoicism and bland food will tone down the extremes a bit :):):) You have to remember..

Ketchup is just a smidge too spicy!

I believe the 4 finalists are the ones that actually placed serious bids. Many of the cities asked to bid on the convention did not want to deal with the expense of the event including the very high cost to provide security. Plus many cities cited other projects going on in their city that would be disrupted if the city had to focus on the RNC. For example, Chicago declined so they can focus on their Olympic bid, and Charlotte declined due to construction of the NASCAR HOF and other projects.

Downtown Minneapolis will have a lot going on in 2008. The new Twins stadium will be under construction, the North Star and possibly the Central Corridor line will be underway and numerous condo towers will be going up. I'm sure most of the visitors will be impressed. :D

Being a city that most people doesn't seem to get much national attention and from what the people here say is very urban and a great place to visit/live... Minneapolis seems like the right kind of city for a national convention or Olympics.

Interesting thread, I too would be surprised if the GOP holds it either in NYC or Philly or for that matter anywhere in the NE. The one wild-card here though is that Pennsylvania is a state that still packs a punch in the electoral college (though not top 5 like it used to be), and is very very narrowly in the blue column. A GOP convention again in Philly or Pittsburgh could appeal to the RNC for adding another major state to the red column. Pittsburgh has come out with some news on this back in February:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...9&hl=convention

I doubt Detroit would want it or get it, too libral. Don't they usually try to pick cities that are more conservative?

Not really. I think the last RNC was in New York City. Detroit has the auto companies, which are usually backers of republicans (at least at the top).

^^I agree, New Orleans hosted the 1992 RNC and that is about as liberal as you can get, it really depends on the big wigs of the city and how they woo the RNC, plus having a VP or Prez or former Prez doesn't hurt, wasn't the 1980 RNC in Detroit because of former Prez Gerald Ford's influence?

Archived