2008 Republican National Convention

Minneapolitan

I would say San Fran, Seattle and Portland stand little chance, only because of the resistance from these very liberal areas citizens. However New York pulled it off, but I think the big apple is used to that sort of thing. I think a good choice would be Minneapolis, Los Angeles, and Detroit. Those are more moderate liberal pockets that Republicans need to make gains in. They are all relatively large. I think Indianapolis, Columbus and Sacramento are all a little too small and don't spark as much interest.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Minneapolis would be a great location for either party to have their convention, as the that area of the nation is increasingly becoming a battleground area, that both would like to make and/or keep gains in.

Good point. I'd like to see it held in either Minneapolis or Cleveland.

I would say that describing Detroit as a moderate liberal pocket is somewhat of a misnomer. I think the RNC would do fine having it's convention there. I'm sure there would be some ruckus. But i'm not sure if it would sway Michigan's voted. Michigan hasn't voted for a republican candidate in almost 20 years. If anything i'd say Michigan is going from a purple state to solid blue.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt Detroit would want it or get it, too libral. Don't they usually try to pick cities that are more conservative?

Not necessarily. Despite Detroit's affiliation with the Democratic Party, I think it is a conservative town by nature. Think National Gospel Hall of Fame. Not that I think it is a swing city, but it is the epicenter of a major swing state, which is why I think it would be a great candidate. Plus, it would give Republicans a chance to expose what they plan to do for urban America being they will be speaking "at the doorsteps" of some of the most impoverished households in the entire country.

Yeah, actually, the parties tend to choose cities not based on whether they lean for that party, but to make statements. The Republican's have a much larger advantage in Detroit than the Democrats, as the Republican's can point to (either fairly or unfairly) the state of Detroit and tie it to Democratic leadership, or the lack thereof. Detroit would be definitely be a choice for the GOP, though I certainly hope they move on. The city hosted the Republican's back in 1980, too.

It seems to me that Miami would be a stong possibility because all of the parties are courting the Hispanic vote, as well Florida will probably continue to be a swing state. Will Jeb still be governor then? Another possibility would be Atlanta because the South is firmly Republican. New Orleans would be good because it would be a 'We stand by you all' thing.

• 2 months later...

Republicans have chosen Minneapolis-St. Paul for the 2008 presidential convention. The event will be at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. This should be interesting being Minneapolis-St. Paul is also a finalist for the Democrats.

The Democrats are planning on holding their convention Aug. 25-28, 2008, and the Republicans will meet on Sept. 1-4.

The Democrats have now eliminated the Twin Cities from the running since the Republicans have announced their choice.

The Republicans bumped up their announcement by a few months to right before the Democrats announce so they could get Minneapolis/St. Paul knowing that the cities wouldn't host both conventions.

Either way, this is how I see it: Let all the Republicans come to Minnesota and pump their money into our economy.. and then we'll vote Democratic in the election.

That's pretty bold. Aren't the Twin Cities generally a blue-voting region? I'm basing this assumption only on what I've read of Garrison Keillor and St. Paul.

It'll be interesting to see where the Democrats go. I was in Boston for the last one. Rubbed elbows with Ben Affleck, Natalie Portman, Jerry Springer, and MTV's Gideon Yago. Good times.

Both Minneapolis & St. Paul are very blue and so are their inner-ring suburbs. It's the outer burbs and parts of outstate Minnesota, however, that are red.

Even though the mayors of Minneapolis and St. Paul are Democrats they did a lot to woo the Republicans. They probably figured that in the end a convention would be a win-win situation so why not bend over, even if it's for Republicans.

I think having the Rep convention in a certified blue stare is awesome! I don't think any Dem is going to have trouble in Minnesota in 2008.

Oh by the way, if I could have rubbed elbows with Jerry Springer I would have been on top of the world. To me that would have been more fun than the convention:) Of course he hates his own show, and never watches it:) lol

My region of Minnesota has not supported a Republican for president since Herbert Hoover. The city of Duluth and its respective county in northern Minnesota went 65%-33% for Kerry in 2004.

Keep in mind this is a very rural, white area. They're liberals to the bone. It's southern Minnesota and the exurbs we have to watch out for.

Either way, a convention is good for the state. It'll give us lots of attention.

My region of Minnesota has not supported a Republican for president since Herbert Hoover. The city of Duluth and its respective county in northern Minnesota went 65%-33% for Kerry in 2004.

Keep in mind this is a very rural, white area. They're liberals to the bone. It's southern Minnesota and the exurbs we have to watch out for.

Either way, a convention is good for the state. It'll give us lots of attention.

What do you guys think about Minnesota? I was surprised to see it classified as a swing state this last time around. In fact, it looks like the whole midwest, minus Illinois, is trending republican. With the South as red as it's become, we really need to hold on to you guys!

What do you guys think about Minnesota? I was surprised to see it classified as a swing state this last time around. In fact, it looks like the whole midwest, minus Illinois, is trending republican. With the South as red as it's become, we really need to hold on to you guys!

I don't think MN is trending Republican. We've always had quirky politics, but there are a lot of signs that point to the opposite. Minnesotans are trending towards being more socially liberal. We're one of the few remaining states that doesn't have a constitutional ban on gay marriage. The big proponent of a gay marriage ban is currently running for congress in our 6th district (Our most conservative district), and she's tied with her opponent.

The person who vacated that seat to run for senate, Mark Kennedy, also very conservative, hasn't polled with 7% of his DFL opponent, Amy Klobuchar, and two recent polls showed Amy with a 24 point and 16 point lead over Kennedy, respectively. Their internal polling shows a 9 point lead for Klobuchar.

Norm Coleman, our New Yorker senator was voted in with less than 50% of the vote after the death of Paul Wellstone and the ensuing GOP storm and fuss about Paul's memorial service gone political campaign ad. Put against a strong candidate in '08, he won't win another term.

The entire upper midwest has always been volatile but is generally evenly split to leaning democrat. You'll also see large swings depending on the candidate. Iowa, for example, nearly went for Mondale in '84 and went decisively for Dukakis in '88 because they hated Reagan/Bush Sr. Farming subsidy cuts, anyone?

When dealing with issues that don't matter to us specifically (like in '00 and '04) of course we'll be more evenly divided. If hte election is talking about farming, social security, health care, education, etc. we'll go democrat every time.

The difference between rural Georgian rednecks and rural Minnesotan rednecks, is this:

These people absolutely loved Paul Wellstone. I have a feeling Georgians wouldn't have liked him much. He was a pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-union, pro-environment democrat, in fact, one of the most liberal.

But any candidate that comes out swinging in a crappy old bus and says "I'll fight for the little guy"... and has a D next to their name.. will win the vote with at least 65% up there.

Liberal populists at heart, yes they are.

^ You know, the interesting thing is that the Democratic Party still has a lot of sympathy among rural Southern whites, especially here in Georgia. At the height of its power, the Democrats--especially the rural Democrats--commanded a lot of respect. They ran the show and if you needed anything you had to please those guys. It's only been a few years since the take-over (heehehe) but things have changed drastically; but you can still see the ghost of that power when you talk to old people. They hate the Republican Party (though they probably supported Bush) and are just looking for something to support in the Democratic Party.

I've said this before, I think Georgia and North Carolina have actually gotten less liberal over the last 10 years given that most of the transplants locating to our state are suburban-minded voters who support Republicans.

Archived