Why are the Mods here so uptight

GoldRiver

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to agree there. Every time you post a link to a newspaper site, there are plenty of advertisements, and the newspaper will try to sell you a subscription. Should we ban these links as well?

Because of TOS with our advertisers who pay our bills to keep this site running, we require such restrictions on links to other sites selling products and services. Depending on the specific post and what is for sale, it is to our discretion what is allowed and what is not. There is no definitive line that can be drawn out so that you have a 100% for sure guide as to what is allowed/not allowed. The link is reviewed and a best judgement call is made.

This site is expensive to run and without our advertisers we could not operate as we do. We abide by any TOS contracts and decisions to not allow a link on our site at our discretion is non-negotiable so that we may continue to provide you with free services and UrbanPlanet.org with the funds necessary to do that.

If you have a problem with a thread or post, you can use the Report button to alert the moderators.

Just curuious.... Is the report button anonymous... other than alerting the mods? Does it cause the user who's post you report on any trouble? (Other than mod intervention) I'm talking like... increasing Warn level.

Just curuious.... Is the report button anonymous... other than alerting the mods? Does it cause the user who's post you report on any trouble? (Other than mod intervention) I'm talking like... increasing Warn level.

The report button is not anonymous. The person who reported the post shows up in the report to the moderator. Depending on the reported post's content it may or may not cause a warn level, suspension, etc. of the original poster of the reported post.

Simply pushing the report button does nothing to the post or the poster's warn level, and the person who authored the post being reported does not know that the post was reported or who reported it. If we have to counsel a member regarding a complaint, we do not disclose who made the complaint. However, the member may be able to discern who made the complaint based on the circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...

When I joined back in June of 05, I easily felt at home. Like I said, the best way to not break the rules is to not worry but understand the rules. Everyone here is very friendly also.

I joined November of 2004 (wow, that long ago!?) and felt at home pretty quickly. I did not post at a regular basis until maybe after spring break of 2005 when the girlfriend and I decided to call it quits thus giving me a bit more free time. Despite my alias, im always in the southeast forum and now getting myself to the northeast forum mainly in teh NY/NJ/PA because i am nearly equal distance to NYC and Philadelphia. Prior to UP, i was over at Miscellanious Transport Road (MTR) which was a road forum un-moderated with no rules. Every single day, there was fightning and trolling which i got sick and tired of. I can speak for over 50% of the known roadgeeks are not friendly people and are often to sound like miserable people who do not have a life. I do not find this at urbanplanet where i get along with just about everyone and it seems a lot of people have something going for their lives (unlike MTR)!

The rules that the mod's have put up are perfectly fine with me and I have been guilty of breaking a few rules since Nov '04 but I dont break them again. I do read the rules & disclaimers every once in a while to refresh myself but sometimes i forget a rule or two and im always given friendly reminders by the mods because im not out there to start problems. Urbanism discussion was not the first reason i joined UP, i think i joined to respond back to highway related posts and then later, I have contributed posts in relation to urbanism and sustainable development.

Be happy everyone that the staff at UP provides us great service and keep things always in line because MTR was certainly not like that, thats why i stopped going there! I can still talk about roads and still be here for the purpose of what Urbanplanet is here for.

:alc: salute to the Mod's and all of the members who have made UP possible!

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread and I thought Id share my penny's worth of it :lol:

I remember the first day I posted here, everyone was very nice in greeting me and listened to my thoughts and opinions. Ive seen my share of others opinions as well and and learned to respect them. The moderators are very kind and helpful and I can say that at first I didnt know what to respect, but the outcome was far better than I could imagine :) When Im on this forum, it's a great feeling inside knowing your not the only on who cares about whats going on in the urban world. For people who share the same interests and sometimes thoughts as you, and for the creators and mods that make sure it runs smoothly. So thanks guys, thanks for your generosity, and overall interest and up-keep of these fantastic forums :D

Just found this thread and I thought Id share my penny's worth of it :lol:

I remember the first day I posted here, everyone was very nice in greeting me and listened to my thoughts and opinions. Ive seen my share of others opinions as well and and learned to respect them. The moderators are very kind and helpful and I can say that at first I didnt know what to respect, but the outcome was far better than I could imagine :) When Im on this forum, it's a great feeling inside knowing your not the only on who cares about whats going on in the urban world. For people who share the same interests and sometimes thoughts as you, and for the creators and mods that make sure it runs smoothly. So thanks guys, thanks for your generosity, and overall interest and up-keep of these fantastic forums :D

I'm with you 100%. I just found this site on March 1, which coincidentally, was my 26th birthday. I immediately fell in love with this place and plan on sticking around and even (hopefully) getting a paid membership.

This place is great, and I couldn't disagree with the original poster more. I think the moderators around here seem pretty cool. The one I've talked with most is NCB, and he seems like a cool guy. The Admins seem to be doing a great job as well, and I swear I'm not kissing up. :shades:

Archived