Why are the Mods here so uptight

GoldRiver

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find the moderation here to be a little strict sometimes. I see people that have made great posts and contributions to the forum int he past with the little "banned" up by their name.. and it disappoints me.

But I trust that there was a good reason.

Hey guys, im new, but I have been a lurker for awhile. Yes, I have noticed this too. I sometimes would like to know why some forumers get banned.

actually Ive seen other forums with stricter rules on certain sections. Some topics were off limits in those forums. It was bad to the point that you always worried if you were breaking a rule so I stayed out of that section all together. Here its different, rules are crystal clear. Yes there are rules here but they are needed. I've seen boards with no moderation at all and childish behavior ran off alot of people. Urban Planet is a respectable forum that attracts all kinds of people including developers. This is like an educational forum where people express their ideas and there should be no room for childish behavior. I think the rules arent that hard to follow. If you are not here to make trouble then they shouldnt be a problem at. There is alot of freedom on Urban Planet despite the rules.

I have a related question. How do the UP admins notify members of rule and policy changes? Are we ever emailed with this info? Is there a list I should join to recieve updates? I ask because I noticed the mininmum age change was posted in this forum. I haven't seen it in other forums. Do we check this forum for policy changes? Or do we get email?

One other question. What is the policy on name changes? I know we aren't allowed to have 2 user IDs, but are we allowed to change a current one?

Thanks! :D

girly, it depends upon the situation. Usually rules are added because someone, who doesn't know how to behave, causes us a lot of trouble, then invariably says... "Oh but there are no rules against that....." Most of the time the addition of a rule like this does not affect the 99% of the people here who are respectful, so we don't send out any notifications.

Specifically about the age restriction, we changed it to stop new members from joining who are under 16. We had no plans to go after anyone here between 13 and 16, but as this age group proves time and time again, they end up getting banned anyway. If it were up to me, I would raise the age limit to 18 considering how much time I waste on bad teenagers who are already bored with life that logon to this site looking for some thrills. I wish parents did a better job these days keeping their children occupied or at least spend a little time teaching them proper behavior.

And if you want to change your name, we can certainly do that. Just send a PM to either myself or Neo and we will gladly change it for you.

All I can say is don't worry. Be careful, but just take it easy, have fun, and enjoy the ride. That's what I always try to do.

When I joined back in June of 05, I easily felt at home. Like I said, the best way to not break the rules is to not worry but understand the rules. Everyone here is very friendly also.

All I can say is don't worry. Be careful, but just take it easy, have fun, and enjoy the ride. That's what I always try to do.

When I joined back in June of 05, I easily felt at home. Like I said, the best way to not break the rules is to not worry but understand the rules. Everyone here is very friendly also.

Yes *twittling fingers together* friendly.. friendly.. :whistling:

Of course we're friendly.. we just mildly "disagree" sometimes. But like most places in the world, it's usually civil and based on issues, not people.

I'm new around these parts. Is the moderation here really that bad? Some of the forums I have been on about urban issues have some bad fascist mods.

Have you read through this thread? Those who consider the moderation bad here are the ones who are subject to our moderation and account for 1% of the site. If you abide by our rules and act like a mature adult you will have no problems here. No the moderation here is not "that bad" but we do enforce rules for good reason.

Have you read through this thread? Those who consider the moderation bad here are the ones who are subject to our moderation and account for 1% of the site. If you abide by our rules and act like a mature adult you will have no problems here. No the moderation here is not "that bad" but we do enforce rules for good reason.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. It was intended as a statement, not a question. :) I know the moderation isn't bad here.

Well I might as well add my two cents. The thought of this forum being "tight" had never even crossed my mind. As far as I can tell, the mods do a good job of keeping the discourse civil and the topics interesting. Only once have I disagreed with a mods ban/action.

In fact, this is the only forum I've stayed with for very long, and I think a big part of that is the simple fact that most posters have a genuine interest in matters concerning our built environment. And I have learned a TON about my city in the time that I have been reading and posting around here.

And lastly, I think the growth in the site speaks for itself. If the moderation was too smothering, this site wouldn't be as active as it is.

Good job to all the mods/admin....keep it up. It is appreciated. :thumbsup:

Why was the topic I posted "Pentagon Strike" closed? It is in the Coffee House forum and people have posted far more random and controversial things there. Not that I want to complain too much, people weren't commenting on it anyways, I just want to know why.

Why was the topic I posted "Pentagon Strike" closed? It is in the Coffee House forum and people have posted far more random and controversial things there. Not that I want to complain too much, people weren't commenting on it anyways, I just want to know why.

I posted why, this is not a platform for conspiracy theorist books to be sold. These conspiracy theories have been discussed before, there's no reason to bring them back up. These theories have been debunked time and time again. I would similarly close a holocaust denial post.

I would suggest a forum like snopes for this type of discussion.

These types of discussions also tend to attract a certain fanatical fringe elements that we would rather not have to deal with here at UP.

Sorry, I misspelled the cannibal's name.

I guess I don't understand why a conspiracy theory thread would be closed (even if the site mentioned has a book for sale) when folks can post about mass murderers. I don't have a problem with your choice of discussion. If I don't want to comment on a thread, I simply ignore it. My point (which I failed to make) is that if its called the "Coffee House" and the idea is to post about stuff you don't post anywhere else on the site, why close the thread? There were links to other sites as well (no books for sale).

Sorry, I misspelled the cannibal's name.

I guess I don't understand why a conspiracy theory thread would be closed (even if the site mentioned has a book for sale) when folks can post about mass murderers. I don't have a problem with your choice of discussion. If I don't want to comment on a thread, I simply ignore it. My point (which I failed to make) is that if its called the "Coffee House" and the idea is to post about stuff you don't post anywhere else on the site, why close the thread? There were links to other sites as well (no books for sale).

If you have a problem with a thread or post, you can use the Report button to alert the moderators.

The Coffee House is by no means an anything goes area, we tried that once, it didn't work.

Archived