Visiting Providence to See What's Happening

ctman987

I am from the Hartford area and am planning on taking a trip to Providence to look at everything that's going on (development) in the city and take some pictures of it all. Ive been to Providence numerous times but dont think I ever spent the night in one of the cities hotel's. Any ideas of which development sites are a must visit (under construction, proposed, completed, whatever)? Also any recommendations for a downtown hotel room thats not to expensive.

Thanks for the all help!!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am from the Hartford area and am planning on taking a trip to Providence to look at everything that's going on (development) in the city and take some pictures of it all. Ive been to Providence numerous times but dont think I ever spent the night in one of the cities hotel's. Any ideas of which development sites are a must visit (under construction, proposed, completed, whatever)? Also any recommendations for a downtown hotel room thats not to expensive.

Well, ha ha, there real isn't any big hotel rate bargins downtown Providence on weekends or weekdays. We have very high room rates here. I would suggest checking with hotels.com or travelocity.com to compare rates. But the Holiday Inn (soon to be a Hilton) and Providence Biltmore may be the lowest, followed by the Courtyard Marriott. Forget the Westin. Also try the Hotel Providence. All hotels are within walking distance from all of the development projects that you'll want to check out, especially the Courtyard by Marriott.

Well, ha ha, there real isn't any big hotel rate bargins downtown Providence on weekends or weekdays. We have very high room rates here. I would suggest checking with hotels.com or travelocity.com to compare rates. But the Holiday Inn (soon to be a Hilton) and Providence Biltmore may be the lowest, followed by the Courtyard Marriott. Forget the Westin. Also try the Hotel Providence. All hotels are within walking distance from all of the development projects that you'll want to check out, especially the Courtyard by Marriott.

Definitely check out the Masonic temple site just west of the capitol building.

Any ideas of which development sites are a must visit (under construction, proposed, completed, whatever)?

Check out the GTECH building going up across from the Providnece Place Mall. It's about 75% complete. Across the pond from that you'll find foundation work being done on the Waterplace condo project which includes a 17 & 19 story building. Also across from the mall you'll find work being done on the Westin Hotel. A 32 story addition is being added to this property, which will include 200 hotel room and condo units. Also, up the street from the mall, and across the street from the state house you will see work being done on the historic Masonic Temple building which is being converted into a Marriott Renaissance Hotel.

By the way ctman987, when was the last time you visited Providence?

Sometimes you can walk in and negotiate with the hotel. I have done that often. Ask what the rate is for a single, I responded it is too high and ask if they can do better. You will be surprised at the results. I have stayed at Marriot Courtyard for $89 one night. I have done the same for the Radisson, The Sheraton and others.

Mark

Sometimes you can walk in and negotiate with the hotel. I have done that often. Ask what the rate is for a single, I responded it is too high and ask if they can do better. You will be surprised at the results. I have stayed at Marriot Courtyard for $89 one night.

Mark

I wish I had know that Sunday for the blizzard. The Providence Marriott wanted $ 199/night, $ 179 with the AAA rate and $ 169 for AARP members. Way too much. We need a low budget motel in the area NOW!

By the way ctman987, when was the last time you visited Providence?

I was in Providence this past summer but was there for an event at Brown and so did not get a chance to look around at the development. Last winter I was there for the day on my way to Cape Cod and stopped at Providence Place and walked around a little.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

The Holiday Inn is probably your best bet for lowest cost and it has the benefit of actually being able to stay in one of the city's current projects :lol:

Seriouosly, the main hotel entrance today was marked as a service entrance beside the parking garage as they are ripping out the carport. If you can't get a deal there, then we really do a hotel room shortage crisis.

• 3 weeks later...

I am visiting Providence for the first time this weekend, although i did drive around Brown U's campus once over 10 years ago.

I have heard that Providence has a hopping nightlife and is an interesting revitalized smaller city that is a great place.

So what is there to see, do, eat, drink in Providence? What exactly makes Providence a great place? I've never really been, so i'd like to see why a lot of people love Providence. Thanks!

Archived