Minneapolis pics

mplsdude

How's it goin everyone. This is my first post here and I thought I'd share a few of my pics:

13zi.jpg

27mm.jpg

36rw.jpg

46pc1.jpg

52hr.jpg

65dt.jpg

78oj1.jpg

Minnehaha Creek:

15gu.jpg

Top of the falls:

26jz.jpg

Minnehaha Falls:

38ll.jpg

Neighborhood streets on the way to the river:

40yj.jpg

50bw.jpg

The mighty Miss:

65oz.jpg

75mz.jpg

83bt.jpg

50th street light-rail station that serves Minnehaha Park:

94kh.jpg

More pics:

cambell.jpg

att.jpg

ids.jpg

target.jpg

ivy.jpg

shiny.jpg

shiny2.jpg

condo.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful photos, MPLSdude! That's one city I've always wanted to visit (and it has nothing to do with my love of the Soviettes' music). Very nice shots!

How far is Minnehaha Creek/Falls outside of MPLS? It's beautiul!

Hey, Thanks! I have tons more pics, but I didn't want this thread to be overwhelming.

Minnehaha Creek actually flows all the way through south Minneapolis and the falls are at 50th street and Hiawatha Ave. in southeast Minneapolis on the border of St. Paul. I live near the falls.

How busy is that beach during the summer?

They get pretty busy when it gets hot. When I'm riding my bike around one of the lakes, I love to run in the water for a quick swim to cool off. It's nice to be able to swim, gaze at the Minneapolis skyline, and watch airliners fly over at the same time. :)

There are numereous beaches in Minneapolis and suburbs. Lake Calhoun where some of these pics were taken has 3 beaches.

• 6 months later...

Minnesota has beautiful fall colors.. especially in the northern, central, and southeastern parts of the states.

There are a lot of sugar maples in the north and central part of hte state, so they all get red and orange. We also have a lot of red oaks that turn almost purple/dark red in the fall and then the aspen and birch which turn bright yellow/gold and mixed in with the pines, you get the full spectrum. Then after the maples and oaks lose their leaves (late September in the north to mid October in the south), you get the tamaracks turning gold with the remnants, which creates a really cool contrast to the gray that begins to dominate about mid October.

Arielview-700.jpg

Lake Sagatagan at my school, Saint John's University in mid-October 2004.

post-5218-1156395129_thumb.jpg

And just for fun.. the bleak early winter (mid-December 2004) in northern Minnesota.

post-5218-1156395336_thumb.jpg

It should be known that Minnesota, despite having the same forest type as New England, has more oaks and jack pine due to lower precipitation which supports higher fire frequency. Though in central Minnesota increased precip and unnatural fire infrequency thanks to human prevention, maples have taken over what were previously oak stands, because of their shade loving qualities.

post-5218-1156395129_thumb.jpg

post-5218-1156395336_thumb.jpg

Archived