Malls

Alexzero77

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My least favorite......163rd Street. Too small, not enough variety. Of course, it's seen better days.

My favorite.....never thought about it. I would probably say Aventura though, and Pembroke Lakes. I had another favorite, the old Hollywood Fashion Center (does anyone remember). I have many fond memories of that place as a child. The last time I went there was in 1992 when I was in second grade, I had to get a suit for a special occasion at school. It was sad to see it go, and sad to see that area go completely downhill. :cry:

I frequent this website, it's pretty cool, called Dead Malls. It takes a look into retail and how it's shaped our cities. There's a list of all the dead (or dying) malls on there from across the country. It's definitely worth taking a look at.

^Dead Malls is a cool site.

Alex, your favorite mall is the Palm Beach Mall? The one on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd, that everyone affectionately calls "The Ghetto Mall."

My favorite is Town Center at Boca Raton. :)

Wellington and Gardens are tied for second.

Boynton is aiight....3rd

Least fave would probably be the Palm Beach Mall....lol

That's only the malls in Palm Beach County, I'm not familiar with much of Broward's malls, expect for the Sawgrass and that weird old Pompano Square....

My favoriate malls are the Broward Mall, and the Aventura Mall... Fashion Mall has lots of potential and there have been rumors that it is going to come back to life, but for now, it is one of my least favorites. Sawgrass Mills is fun sometimes, but it is too big... I get lost every time I go there.

Dadeland would be nice to its just waaay to crowded. I guess Sunset Place is nice for a weeknight relaxing shopping trip and a movie and its only crowded on weekend nights. The Falls is nice but its a bit too far away.

Least favorite would be International Mall, Mall of the Americas or Dolphin Mall.

Urban_Legend, I really don't understand why everyone calls the Palm Beach Mall "The Ghetto Mall". It's still very popular, it's up to date on renovations, and has all the upscale stores malls these days have.

Btw, check out Pompano Square today. It's beautiful! The only thing I don't like is how it's now open air and... well it isn't completely done yet...

^That's good news about Pompano Square. I also remember the Galleria getting a facelift!

While the Palm Beach Mall does have the usual trendy stores (GAP, AE, Borders) it still has some...unconventional retailers. Like the wholesale candy store. And an assortment of what most people would call "ghetto" local retail. But hey, ghetto or not, at least that mall has local entrepreneurship, which is something most Simon malls don't have.

Mine are:

Favorite: Palm Beach Mall

Least: Coral Square Mall

Also, The Dolphin and Sawgrass Mills don't count as well as open-air centers.

Feel free to discuss my opinions.

The Falls is open air and is "THE FALLS MALL" So is "Sunset Place" and so Is "Lincoln Road MALL"

That said Dadeland and The Falls are my favorite

My fav traditional malls in order are:

Town Centre at Boca Raton

The Gardens w/their new Downtown (even though I rarely get that far north)

Aventura

My fav open air malls are:

City Place

Las Olas (yeah not really a planned open air mall, but it still functions in the same way)

Mizner Park (anyone remember the awful Boca Mall that this replaced?)

My least fav South FL mall has always been Broward Mall. It just always seemed so boring and suburban.

Question: What's going on out at The Fashion Mall in Plantation? They were going through a rough period the last time I was out there. They ever get it "turned around?"

Aventura

City Place

Las Olas (yeah not really a planned open air mall, but it still functions in the same way)

My least fav South FL mall has always been Broward Mall. It just always seemed so boring and suburban.

Question: What's going on out at The Fashion Mall in Plantation? They were going through a rough period the last time I was out there. They ever get it "turned around?"

No, they have not yet. In fact they have lost MORE stores. There have been talks for ever about adding condos to the grounds of the mall, never happened, adding a movie theatre, never happened. The one last hope that mall may have is if Veranda off of 82nd ave is popular it may help the mall out too because of how close it is (walking distance).

Yeah, I guess that's true about the Palm Beach Mall. But I really wouldn't call it "ghetto". Perhaps "upscale local" :rofl:

But yeah, actually my favorite would have to be Town Center at Boca Raton. The only drawback is... Sears and Boomingdales really need to pressure clean their exteriors! Also, the food court is dark and crap. I'm suprised they didn't remodel it with the center court.

Thanks for the update on the Fashion Mall larrysofla.

Alexzero77 I agree w/you on the food court at TC. It's always been that way and dang hard to find a seat in high season. I do love the salad place there. I too was surprised they didn't remodel the food court when they did the center court. I like the new center court, but I kinda miss the old clock tower thing there in front of Crate and Barrel. Friday's closed there didn't it? What's going to take its place?

I never make it down to Sears, I seem to always only get as far as Old Navy on what I call "the cheap wing." Bloomies did just remodel their entrance and the perfume area, but you are right the men's dept. w/their dated wood floors has not to go or at least be cleaned.

Thanks for the update on the Fashion Mall larrysofla.

Alexzero77 I agree w/you on the food court at TC. It's always been that way and dang hard to find a seat in high season. I do love the salad place there. I too was surprised they didn't remodel the food court when they did the center court. I like the new center court, but I kinda miss the old clock tower thing there in front of Crate and Barrel. Friday's closed there didn't it? What's going to take its place?

I never make it down to Sears, I seem to always only get as far as Old Navy on what I call "the cheap wing." Bloomies did just remodel their entrance and the perfume area, but you are right the men's dept. w/their dated wood floors has not to go or at least be cleaned.

I wouldn't call it "the cheap wing", Sears is on par with Macy's, plus there's alot of upscale shops down there. But Old Navy sucks...

As for the Food Court, I remember it's glory days when it was more Mizner style. Now it's just a place with decaying floors, and wooden pillars that don't match the colors and styles of the mall.

I'm talking about the OUTSIDE of Sears and Bloomies that needs to be pressure cleaned.

Also, I miss the clock, too :cry: It's been in the center court since the mall was built in 79. As for the vaccated Fridays, they're going to demolish it and build a high-end food venue comparable to the Oasis at Sawgrass Mills.

Aventura

City Place

You find this boring?

fort_lauderdale_mall.jpg

It's so cool!

LOL @ "the cheap wing!"

I know what you mean about that part of the mall. Every mall has a cheap wing. And compared to the rest of Town Center, the Sears end is relatively cheap! However, it's nice that the Sony Style store has opened on the corner that connects the "cheap wing" to the center court.

And Town Center's food court isn't that bad. I like the new wood plates they've installed on the industrial steel columns. The tent ceiling is quite open and airy, and I'm sure that sooner or later, that food court and the corridor next to Express will get a new floor. C'mon, this is Boca! lol

And in case you haven't heard, Town Center is planning another new wing! I think it will be L-shaped, as it is supposed to connect Bloomingdales with Nordstroms. I read that it might even be two-stories, and potentially an open-air wing. I hope this new wing has: Starbucks, Aeropostale, Hollister, and more. But there's alot of great stores that Town Center still doesn't have! All in good time.... :)

LOL @ "the cheap wing!"

I know what you mean about that part of the mall. Every mall has a cheap wing. And compared to the rest of Town Center, the Sears end is relatively cheap! However, it's nice that the Sony Style store has opened on the corner that connects the "cheap wing" to the center court.

And Town Center's food court isn't that bad. I like the new wood plates they've installed on the industrial steel columns. The tent ceiling is quite open and airy, and I'm sure that sooner or later, that food court and the corridor next to Express will get a new floor. C'mon, this is Boca! lol

And in case you haven't heard, Town Center is planning another new wing! I think it will be L-shaped, as it is supposed to connect Bloomingdales with Nordstroms. I read that it might even be two-stories, and potentially an open-air wing. I hope this new wing has: Starbucks, Aeropostale, Hollister, and more. But there's alot of great stores that Town Center still doesn't have! All in good time.... :)

Well, there's still a alot of expensive stores over there, but keep in mind, it's one of the original parts.

As for the floor... It needs a new one... And the tent should be replaced by a glass autrim, it really would bring more light in the food court. Though I miss the big florecent arches that they had. I don't know WHY they took them down...

I wonder how they can make an "L"-shaped extension without interfering with the parking??

My least favorite......163rd Street. Too small, not enough variety. Of course, it's seen better days.

My favorite.....never thought about it. I would probably say Aventura though, and Pembroke Lakes. I had another favorite, the old Hollywood Fashion Center (does anyone remember). I have many fond memories of that place as a child. The last time I went there was in 1992 when I was in second grade, I had to get a suit for a special occasion at school. It was sad to see it go, and sad to see that area go completely downhill. :cry:

I frequent this website, it's pretty cool, called Dead Malls. It takes a look into retail and how it's shaped our cities. There's a list of all the dead (or dying) malls on there from across the country. It's definitely worth taking a look at.

That site rocks, I never knew it existed. Tallahassee Mall used to rock back in the 70s-80s, and the mid 90s, but now it's fallen off. Now it's practically a ghost town. You can walk through the mall and hear your own echo :alc:

Hey Alexzero77 I forgot about that entrance way into Broward Mall. You are correct that's pretty cool. I mainly have visions in my head of Broward Mall's interior back in the 90's....that was some pretty boring, plain and suburban type stuff.

I've not noticed the outside of Sear's and Bloomies at TC. I'll have to check it out in 2 weeks when I'm back down. But I still hold true to my statement that the men's dept. on the first floor at Bloomies needs updating. Not sure why they did not do it when they did the entrance/perfume areas. That parque floor really dates the place.

I do think Macy's at TC is a little better than Sear's. I like the fact that they left the script "The Florida Store" in the tile as you enter from the mall. Yeah it's the Burdine's logo, but I still like that it's there as homage to its roots. I'm sure it won't stay there much longer.

Another addition to TC...REALLY? Has this been approved by The City? You know the mall now IS in the city limits. For years it was not and the city always wanted it for the revenue. I use to work at the City of BR.

So are you saying that the old Friday's locale will have just one restaurant or many of them?

Hey Alexzero77 I forgot about that entrance way into Broward Mall. You are correct that's pretty cool. I mainly have visions in my head of Broward Mall's interior back in the 90's....that was some pretty boring, plain and suburban type stuff.

I've not noticed the outside of Sear's and Bloomies at TC. I'll have to check it out in 2 weeks when I'm back down. But I still hold true to my statement that the men's dept. on the first floor at Bloomies needs updating. Not sure why they did not do it when they did the entrance/perfume areas. That parque floor really dates the place.

I do think Macy's at TC is a little better than Sear's. I like the fact that they left the script "The Florida Store" in the tile as you enter from the mall. Yeah it's the Burdine's logo, but I still like that it's there as homage to its roots. I'm sure it won't stay there much longer.

Another addition to TC...REALLY? Has this been approved by The City? You know the mall now IS in the city limits. For years it was not and the city always wanted it for the revenue. I use to work at the City of BR.

So are you saying that the old Friday's locale will have just one restaurant or many of them?

I'm talking about the price ranges of Sears and Macy's. I like how they kept it, too.

I know Town Center used to be in the unincorporated part of the city and now it it... I don't know if it has been approved though...

There will be more than one resturant I believe...

I wonder how they can make an "L"-shaped extension without interfering with the parking??

Garages! :) There's already two garages at Town Center, and I'm sure they can add another. And hey, if you can't find a place to park, just drive to the Sears end. There's always an available parking spot outside Sears! :rofl:

I was sad to see TGIFs leave the mall. Oh well, bigger and better things, I'm sure!

And about the idea of a glass atrium in the food court: It sounds pretty impressive, but wouldn't a window that size make the room rather warm in the daytime? It would hurt energy costs. But perhaps the food court could have a skylight comparable to the other skylights in the mall....

Great thread!

Garages! :) There's already two garages at Town Center, and I'm sure they can add another. And hey, if you can't find a place to park, just drive to the Sears end. There's always an available parking spot outside Sears! :rofl:

I was sad to see TGIFs leave the mall. Oh well, bigger and better things, I'm sure!

And about the idea of a glass atrium in the food court: It sounds pretty impressive, but wouldn't a window that size make the room rather warm in the daytime? It would hurt energy costs. But perhaps the food court could have a skylight comparable to the other skylights in the mall....

Great thread!

So the stores would be on top.. hmm... My mom always want to park at Sears for the main reason. But strangly, I always tell her to park at an entrance that goes directly to the mall corridor. There's just some sort of... feel to walking in at a main entrance. They're nice doors and the entrance facde is awesome looking!

Well I was thinking actually... the should close that up and make the food court comparable to the one at Boynton or West Palm Beach.

I hate shopping so this isn't really the best thread for me but if I had to choose I'd say Boca TownCenter is the best one I've been to....its very nice inside and has tons of stores.

Pompano Citi Centre, formerly Pompano Fashion Square, is much better than it was but I just think the whole open air thing really ends up making it more of a strip mall than I real mall. If it starts to rain people arent going to want to go to a mall that isn't inside. Plus I was there recently and they have no stores really that young people would visit. The girls at my school don't go to the mall to shop at Lowe's, which I still don't understand why they put there, but hey it's Pompano. I wish they had more mainstream upscale stores which I don't understand why they don't since Lighthouse Point and Harbor Village are right across federal highway. My mom ends up going all the way out to Coral Square or Boca because Pno mall has no stores yet. Maybe in time some better stores will come.

I hate shopping so this isn't really the best thread for me but if I had to choose I'd say Boca TownCenter is the best one I've been to....its very nice inside and has tons of stores.

Pompano Citi Centre, formerly Pompano Fashion Square, is much better than it was but I just think the whole open air thing really ends up making it more of a strip mall than I real mall. If it starts to rain people arent going to want to go to a mall that isn't inside. Plus I was there recently and they have no stores really that young people would visit. The girls at my school don't go to the mall to shop at Lowe's, which I still don't understand why they put there, but hey it's Pompano. I wish they had more mainstream upscale stores which I don't understand why they don't since Lighthouse Point and Harbor Village are right across federal highway. My mom ends up going all the way out to Coral Square or Boca because Pno mall has no stores yet. Maybe in time some better stores will come.

Coral Square sucks, lol :D

As for Pompano, does the city even have a downtown? If so, where is it?

Archived