Malls

Alexzero77

Pompano has no central downtown. There have been plans to make Atlantic Blvd into a pedestrian downtown area for years, but as usual Pompano never can seem to get its act together like other cities. The only reason there is development going up on the East side of town is because the land has became so valuable that developers are now coming even with the hassles of city hall, like the WCI project Oceanside. Aslo there are plans being drawn up to renovate and redevelopment old downtowon Pompano, which is lightyears away.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been to alot of these malls too...

Palm Beach Mall is ghetto. I would never recommend it to an out-of-towner. Palm Beach Gardens Mall is an entirely different story. That being said, what criteria do we judge these by? How nice and posh the mall is, or by it's clientele?

Boca TC is nice.

Cityplace is AWESOME.

Aventura Mall-- thumbs up.

Bal Harbour Shops-- fru fru and very recommendable to a northerner looking for nice stores; same for Merrick Park.

Sawgrass and Dolphin-- also nice; very touristy.

Dadeland-- might be the best based on its location now, with all the new development and all surrounding it.

Broward Mall-- isn't that ghetto as well? last I checked. (not that that's a bad thing. to each their own).

My take is that malls are malls, period. each has its strong suits and weaknesses. location plays a big role too. convenience and accessibility. for instance... parking decks to help with parking. Cityplace and Boca and Bal come to mind.

Whichever mall one likes, the fact is, Miami metro might have more than any other place in the US (within reason)...

Midtown Miami--- I just saw those photos: OMG! Just look at this place. that is incredible.

The Galleria in Fort Lauderdale is very nice, although it is generally a very expensive place to shop. I have heard good things about Aventura, but must admit that I rarely get down to that area at all. Any reports would be welcome. Las Olas Boulevard has a few good shops, but is hardly a place to look for bargains.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

IKEA Opening in Sawgrass on Wednesday...Preparing for a Stampede?

Wednesday's anticipated grand opening of the new IKEA store brings the possibility of a stampede. While the chances of a repetition of the scene a few years ago in London are slim, the event is sure to draw a big crowd. I'm not much on this whole Sawgrass Mills thing, but it's undoubtedly a huge attraction for many visitors. I have been out there once, and I'll admit that I did find some impressive bargains. The whole setup seems deeply anti-urban on so many levels that it almost disturbs me. Perhaps it will grow into a properly urban center if given time and good planning.

The Sun Sentinel

IKEA Opening in Sawgrass on Wednesday...Preparing for a Stampede?

Wednesday's anticipated grand opening of the new IKEA store brings the possibility of a stampede. While the chances of a repetition of the scene a few years ago in London are slim, the event is sure to draw a big crowd. I'm not much on this whole Sawgrass Mills thing, but it's undoubtedly a huge attraction for many visitors. I have been out there once, and I'll admit that I did find some impressive bargains. The whole setup seems deeply anti-urban on so many levels that it almost disturbs me. Perhaps it will grow into a properly urban center if given time and good planning.

The Sun Sentinel

Archived