gjoseph

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Me:

South Florida = Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade

Keys = Monroe

SWFL=Mainland Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte

Southern Florida = From the keys up to and including Charlotte County on the Gulf side and up to and including Indian River County on the Atlantic side.

*It's more tropical and warmer further north on the Atlantic side (thanks to the gulfstream) and Indian River County is part of the Treasure Coast, is in the new area code for the area (what is it????770) and has more in common w/Ft. Pierce/Stuart/WPB than Orlando. On the Gulf side Sarasota looks more to Tampa which IS Central FL and Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda looks more to Ft. Myers for goods and services.

I'd say its Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach Counties and the Keys. I don't include the Naples area in "South Florida" though I would in "Southern Florida". Similar to how I wouldn't conside South Florida in the "South" but I would consider it in the "Southeast U.S". "South Florida" is a specific region, "Southern Florida" is a geographic description.

Ocala to Vero Beach on the East coast and Sarasota on the West coast, I would consider Central Florida. Anything above Ocala I would consider North Florida. All areas South of Port Charlotte on the West Coast and Fort Pierce on the East coast I would consider South Florida. It's around Fort Pierce and Port Charlotte that you start to notice the plants change, and some of the more tropical plants survive because of the lack of frosts you get in Central Florida.

Although us Floridians know "South Florida" as Miami Ft. Lauderdale-W Palm Beach, I think the lines are blurred for many non-Floridians. They could easily think Naples is South Florida and they are geographically correct. Perhaps the name for the greater Miami Metro needs to be referred to as the "Gold Coast" or "West Ft Miamidale Beach" or even "East Everglades".

It is confusing...University of South Florida in Tampa...Florida Southern College in Lakeland!!

Maybe USF needs to change to the University of Tampa Bay or the boring University of West Central FL!!

Although us Floridians know "South Florida" as Miami Ft. Lauderdale-W Palm Beach, I think the lines are blurred for many non-Floridians. They could easily think Naples is South Florida and they are geographically correct. Perhaps the name for the greater Miami Metro needs to be referred to as the "Gold Coast" or "West Ft Miamidale Beach" or even "East Everglades".

It is confusing...University of South Florida in Tampa...Florida Southern College in Lakeland!!

Maybe USF needs to change to the University of Tampa Bay or the boring University of West Central FL!!

There was an article about that in the Gainesvilel Sun a while ago. It said that USF is know calling themselves USF instead of the University of South Florida to avoid confusion

Well the so called "south FL" to me is Mia, Fort lauderdale, palm beach. I consider the keys the keys and the gulf coast anywhere on the gulf coast. I am tempted to start calling Naples and Marco Island and Fort Myers etc SW Florida. The Tampa Orlando area is central FL, and Daytona Beach to me can be either central or northern FL. I call northern FL anywhere between Jax and Tally, including Gainesville, and I call the Panhandle the Panhandle. Basically, whatever the area is, that is what I refer to it as, and nothign else.

I mostly agree, but imo I would break down FL as such:

South Florida - Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Pam Beach

South West Florida - Naples, Fort Myers

Tampa Bay - Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Lakeland, Bradenton/Sarasota

Central Florida - Orlando, Daytona Beach

North Florida - Jacksonville, Gainesville, Ocala

The Panhandle - Tallahassee, Pensacola, Panama City

The Keys - Key Largo, Key West, Dry Tortugas

I mostly agree, but imo I would break down FL as such:

South Florida - Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Pam Beach

South West Florida - Naples, Fort Myers, Port Charlotte

The Keys - Key Largo, Key West, Dry Tortugas