Charleighboro?

cityboi

As others have stated, The Greensboro to Raleigh corridor will develope first. That is the most rapidly growing area in the state. We may even see some sort of Triangle/Triad combined regional commuter rail system at some point in the future. A person may live in Greensboro and take a commuter train to work in Raleigh. Such a system would contribute to making the Triangle and Triad one metro. But if that were to happen, tv markets would be affected. A few cities would lose their tv affiliates because you cant have two CBS affiliates or two ABC affiliates in the same market. Greensboro would lose its status from being the largest city in the metro to the second largest.

I do see this happening within 20-25 years. However at todays current growth patterns Durham would soon be #2 and is close to being #3 in the state as we speak

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viewing census Urbanized Areas - there is a 5 mile gap between Durham & Burlington (though 10 miles of the UA that comes closest is very linear, running parrallel to a highway). From Greensboro to Burlington the gap is 6 miles, but that isn't too much of a stretch.

On the Lexington side, the distance between Salisbury & High Point is far less, only 2 miles between either. Again though, some of the UAs on both sides 'stretch' linearly along highways.

But I don't think the existence of a single mass of 500 people per square mile warrants the existence of a megalopolis. I think it's assumed it should at least be 1000 people per square mile. In that case it is very far from happening. That is probably a good thing. Though the suburbs of the northeast are denser than they are in the southeast, the megalopolis of the northeast is still made up largely by medium density suburbia.

But I still say it's definitely in the making, perhaps in 50 years something recognizable should exist.

Viewing census Urbanized Areas - there is a 5 mile gap between Durham & Burlington (though 10 miles of the UA that comes closest is very linear, running parrallel to a highway). From Greensboro to Burlington the gap is 6 miles, but that isn't too much of a stretch.

On the Lexington side, the distance between Salisbury & High Point is far less, only 2 miles between either. Again though, some of the UAs on both sides 'stretch' linearly along highways.

But I don't think the existence of a single mass of 500 people per square mile warrants the existence of a megalopolis. I think it's assumed it should at least be 1000 people per square mile. In that case it is very far from happening. That is probably a good thing. Though the suburbs of the northeast are denser than they are in the southeast, the megalopolis of the northeast is still made up largely by medium density suburbia.

But I still say it's definitely in the making, perhaps in 50 years something recognizable should exist.

You're right. Many of the cities along I-85, such as Concord, Salisbury and the like are urbanized in the vicinity of the highway. You can travel five miles to the south of Concord, off I-85, and be in farm and woodland country. Similarly, you can do the same with Kannapolis to the north of I-85. The areas of the Triad along I-85, such as Archdale, Thomasville, etc. are narrowly urbanized along the interstate. Beyond a few miles, it's very rural. The North Carolina megalopolis might as well be called the I-85 megalopolis, as the vast majority of the development is occurring within close proximity to this interstate. It doesn't offer the thick, deep, miles from the interstate development that places like Atlanta offers, as well as the northeast, in terms of a true megalopolis.

I really don't see the Georgia portion of I-85 being developed beyond the southern-end of Jackson County, at least not for another fifty year. Places like north Jackson County, Banks County, Franklin County, and Hart County will remain largely rural for a long time. There simply is a lack of small cities between Atlanta and Anderson/Greenville, SC to allow any type of connection within twenty five years. I'm fortunate for that.

On the other hand, in North Carolina and South Carolina, there is a real probability that the cities will merge into one continuous city. The only exceptions I might see include the peach grove area around Gaffney and the northeast end of the SC upstate, perhaps the area around the western end of Kings Mountain in North Carolina, and maybe a slight bit of undeveloped area between Lexington and Thomasville. Other than that, the signs are clearly showing that the area between Anderson, SC and Raleigh is slated to be one massive city. Metro Atlanta is likely to enter the megalopolis in perhaps 50 years, a full twenty-five years after I believe the other parts of the megalopolis will come into existence.

^ Unfortunately Cherokee County, home to Gafney, will be developed, there are little to no regulations there to curb any developing of agricultural land. As evidanced, many of the peach orchards along 85 have been out of business for nearly a decade. As on one site there is now an outlet mall.

Literally Thomasville to Raleigh will be connected in 10 years (or less) this isn't always evident from Interstate 85 especially near High Point, but when you go off the highway you see more development. I only fear the traffic problems on the way from this. I-85/40 is already one of the most heavily travelled stretches in the state around 2000 it was ranked around 7th. From Greensboro to Durham there is no real alternative except for 70 which can't seem to get widened. in the late 90's there were talks of I-40/85 getting widened to 10 lanes but we know with the way funding is that will not happen for many many years to come.

I do see this happening within 20-25 years. However at todays current growth patterns Durham would soon be #2 and is close to being #3 in the state as we speak

I was thinking the same thing...Greensboro won't be 3rd - but 4th or 5th. I just hope that Greensboro - like all of North Carolina's cities and regions - continues to focus on it's unique qualities and strengths.

You're right. Many of the cities along I-85, such as Concord, Salisbury and the like are urbanized in the vicinity of the highway. You can travel five miles to the south of Concord, off I-85, and be in farm and woodland country. Similarly, you can do the same with Kannapolis to the north of I-85. The areas of the Triad along I-85, such as Archdale, Thomasville, etc. are narrowly urbanized along the interstate. Beyond a few miles, it's very rural. The North Carolina megalopolis might as well be called the I-85 megalopolis, as the vast majority of the development is occurring within close proximity to this interstate. It doesn't offer the thick, deep, miles from the interstate development that places like Atlanta offers, as well as the northeast, in terms of a true megalopolis.

First, the "thick", "deep" development you refer to is "anti-urban sprawl" not "Urban". Second, why don't we appreciate the fact that you can travel only a few miles from the interstate and be in a rural countryside? Is it a negative if development is focused around existing or new urban cores? Don't we WANT development to have an edge - dropping off quickly to rural areas?

This is why I hate the "Urban Area" definition. In order to give any credibility to a place like Charlotte you have to accept that rural lands between cities must be obliterated.

Orange County is the only firewall keeping the North Carolina I-85 megalopolis at bay. The county's anti-growth policies have retarded growth in what would otherwise be an attractive booming county. Instead, developers and people have been forced to take development to Wake, Durham, Chatham, and even Johnston Counties. Without its anti-growth policies, Orange would rival Johnston and Union's torrid growth rates.

Although there are some new brick McMansions spotted about in Cherokee county, I'd still call it rural... not exurban. Lots of cows, modular homes, rusting old trailers, and forest. It is a good hour's drive from Charlotte and you REALLY have to want to avoid the city, to move out there.

However, SC 5 is being 4 laned. I wouldn't think there's really THAT much traffic between York and Blacksburg, but I suppose this is an example of widening in order to spur growth.

Orange County's growth can be viewed as a double edged sword. It's slowing down the spread of sprawl within the county, allowing many many acres of farmland and woods to be preserved, at least for the present. On the other side since the county as a whole is so anti-growth what does develop residentially tends to be very expensive, b/c of the whole supply and demand factor. Affordable housing in the county has been an issue for years now.

But if that were to happen, tv markets would be affected. A few cities would lose their tv affiliates because you cant have two CBS affiliates or two ABC affiliates in the same market.

Washington, DC and Baltimore have their own network affiliations being 38 miles apart from each other. Actually, if Cable or Satillite did not exist, the Triad would not have a problem picking up television signals from Charlotte, Raleigh and maybe even Roanoke too.

Washington, DC and Baltimore have their own network affiliations being 38 miles apart from each other. Actually, if Cable or Satillite did not exist, the Triad would not have a problem picking up television signals from Charlotte, Raleigh and maybe even Roanoke too.

In Albemarle, NC, 50 miles east of Charlotte, you can pick up stations from Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Lumberton, NC/Darlington, SC.

However, SC 5 is being 4 laned. I wouldn't think there's really THAT much traffic between York and Blacksburg, but I suppose this is an example of widening in order to spur growth.

I'm glad it is being widened. That's the route I take from Rock Hill to I-85, and it's dangerously narrow as is. Haven't really noticed an increase in traffic since I've been taking the route, however.

I will disagree with that one, with some reservations that you are right - it will attract greater unneeded growth. But the widening, which has been in the planning stages since the early 80's is due to safety reasons. There have always been an abnormal amount of car accidents, as it is a primary connector to I-85 for a large population. Additionally, with the safety reasons the traffic has grown to neccessitate widening.

I've seen some horrific car crashes in my days on Hwy 5, especially back when the sharp curves were poorly marked which directly followed long straight ways, people often drove straight down a deep ravine.

I understand that it is only about an hour and a half drive from Chicago up to Milwaukee.

I would call the Charlotte to Raleigh sprawl a suburbanoplis. THe most formiddable gap in the development is between Salisbury and Greensboro. Thomasville and Lexington aren't very developed along I-85.

It is, a little moreso, if you were to follow the "Green" (Original) 85.

The "newer" 85 does a good job of bypassing.

Me neither. Yet sprawl still is evident in town, it's not moving towards T-ville or Salisbury. It's moving along the NC 8 Corridor. It leads up threw town into Welcome and also down into Southmount and the lake. Our major shopping centers like Plaza Parkway and Wal-mart are along this strip. It's the most develped area of Lexington along the new 85. The 64 interchange with old 85 is being reconstructed, but going down old 85 takes you right threw town.

• 4 weeks later...

Durham is growing fast but I dont see Durham passing Greensboro in population anytime soon becasue Greensboro continues to grow as well.

I agree. If WS's annexation goes through as planned, Durham will drop to number 5 in the state in June of this year. It will take some time and a exodus of GSO for Durham to top it anytime soon.

This is true, Fayetteville and Spring Lake are both annexing Ft. Bragg. Fayetteville will gain about 30,000 bringing it's population to 212,000 and Spring Lake will gain about 5,000 giving it roughly 13,000. Keep in mind that a lot of the new military housing is being built in Harnett County along Hwy 87. I have to wonder how Fayetteville will play into the picture. I know all the growth is along I-85, but if you look at the latest population info from the census bureau, both Hoke and Harnett counties are among the top 50 counties in the U.S. in terms of population growth. By the way, Hoke county and southern and western Harnett county are considered part of the Fayetteville Metro now. I believe that the I-40 corridor to the I-95 corridor will end up in that grouping. Fayetteville and Raleigh's metro areas are now in Harnett county which I predict will be meeting each other within the next 10 years. Come on, over 20,000 military and civilian jobs are going to be created by 2011. They are predicting at least 30,000 new people in the Fayetteville area by 2011. Don't underestimate Fayetteville, I have lived here most of my life and Fayetteville has taken great steps in improving itself over the last 10 years. I think that Fayetteville will end up surprising many.

Is Charlotte or Raleigh planning to annex this summer? If so how many sq mi. and pop.

The City of Charlotte has a policy of annexing with an effective date of June 30th of every odd-numbered year--therefore the next annexation will be in 2007. There is very little area left within Mecklenburg County to annex--here is a link to a post by monsoon in the Charlotte forum with a map showing the remaining land where the city can annex:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=338199

Archived