Charleighboro?

cityboi

I have a feeling that Durham will eventually be number 4 again, or at least hopscotching back and forth with Winston Salem and possibly Fayetteville (wierd thinking about Fayetteville being over 200,000 people) even if it's temporarily bumped down a notch or two because the city is growing at a very fast rate, especially in it's southern areas near RTP and Southpointe. I'm sure that it will be interesting to see the competition playing out.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...
Fayetteville is making good strives to be the solid #4 metro area. Having a good central city is a good thing. After reading these post I can understand the reasoning behind I-295 better. I do believe these fayetteville should be moved to their own seperate topic. I believe someone mentioned earlier having a Fayetteville sub forum if it could substain good traffic. I've only been to Fayetteville twice. The first time I found out how spread out fayetteville really is when driving on NC 87 from the Sanford area. From Spring Lake on in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Even the DC/BWI/PHL/NYC/BOS megalopolis isnt completly connected. Once you get out of Baltimore on 95N there are some fairly rural areas on up into Deleware until you get near Wilmington. The thing is the cities up ther are all so huge. I cant imagine Charleighboro feeling like that area for decades to come.

I do agree that GSO and RDU will merge first. IMO that stretch of 40/85 already feels like one big city from RDU through GSO. Then its very rural until Salisbury. Just south of Salisbury its rural again and once you get to Kannapolis its pretty much developed until you get pass Gastonia which is a stretch of about 40-50 miles.

Once 85 through Cabarrus county(concord) is widened(supposed to start in 2011) it will really provide an urban feel from RDU through CLT. The stretch to be widened is about 15 miles I believe. After thats complete ,85 from south of Gastonia all the way to RDU will be at last 3 lanes in each diretion. Kinda like 95 or 75 in Florida and 95 in the NE. But even 95 is only 2 lanes each way north of Philly into NJ....

WIll be interesting to see how it all plays out

• 2 months later...

Part of this thread can be explained by Richard Florida's coined term, "Charlanta." If you actually look at the region at night you will see that the area is more connected than what you think. Also, the metro areas of RTP, Piedmont Triad, and Charlotte form what is called the Piedmont Crescent, it should also be noted that these are the CSAs and not just the MSAs. If you combine the metro areas of these regions (Triangle:1.6million, Triad:1.5million, Charlotte:2.2million) the region is approximately 5.3million. Atlanta's CSA is around 5.6million I think. Throw in the Upstate of 1.3 million, and you have a solid linear growth around I-85 of about 12.2million. I think that qualifies for a megalopolis. However, since this region is traditional south, this region will take time before it gets the respect of its Northern big brother.

I also think that the Piedmont Crescent, I will refer to it as the "Crescent", is actually quite connected. Salisbury and Statesville are close to the outskirts of the Triad. As mentioned before, the Triad and Triangle are arguably connected already. I think it would largely behoove the great state of NC if the State looked at uniting these metros. I strongly feel these metros drive the economy of NC. It would be nice to see how much of a percentage that is,

As far as the linking between Raleigh to Atlanta I think it depends on Upstate SC. The Upstate needs to connect to Charlotte and Atlanta. But just my two cents/sense.

After doing the math based on estimations, the Piedmont crescent contributed close 77% of the gdp of the state. This includes the gdp of Burlington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, Raleigh, and Charlotte. You can find their gdp at the BEA website. I did a search for NC gdp and I foound the estimation for 2006 to be 323billion. The estimations for the metros are also based on 2006 estimations. Subtracting Burlington and the contribution to the overall state gdp of the big 5 is still a whopping 75%. These regions also account for 60% of the population in NC in 2007. Interesting.

I wouldnt worry too much about all of the Crescent of North Carolina being eaten up by sprawl. Places like Randolph County (Asheboro-Archdale) and Davidson County (Thomasville-Lexington) are struggling to maintain their current population and economy (and not doing a great job at that). They will remain green and pastoral gaps in the New Jersey-ization of North Carolina's I-85 corridor for a very long time.

• 2 months later...

Anyone really analyzed the new census estimates for the "Charleighboro" region? Charlotte and Raleigh continue to be the fastest growing metro areas in the state and also nationwide. The Triad located just between them is growing at a decent rate. I think the legislative bodies of the state need to keep this in mind to start coordinating growth in this Piedmont "megaopolis" (I put in parenthesis for the critics). It doesn't make much sense that these areas are the fastest growing areas in the state, but Cumberland county seems to have received more DOT money than all five metro areas combined. If not combined definitely a lions share. Doesn't really add up to me.

Anyone really analyzed the new census estimates for the "Charleighboro" region? Charlotte and Raleigh continue to be the fastest growing metro areas in the state and also nationwide. The Triad located just between them is growing at a decent rate. I think the legislative bodies of the state need to keep this in mind to start coordinating growth in this Piedmont "megaopolis" (I put in parenthesis for the critics). It doesn't make much sense that these areas are the fastest growing areas in the state, but Cumberland county seems to have received more DOT money than all five metro areas combined. If not combined definitely a lions share. Doesn't really add up to me.

I see what you're saying about Fayetteville needing the money to complete I295, but it needed more money than Charlotte,Raleigh, and Greensboro combined?!? You gotta admit that, that is ridiculous. And by 2030, the population of Charlotte alone will be close to triple that not to even think about the metro area. And we're not even considering the rate of growth Raleigh is experiencing. I feel your love for the area, but the Piedmont Crescent, "Charleighboro", needs the funding more in order to stabilize the growth this area is experiencing.

• 3 months later...

I was checking out the North Carolina Strategic Highway Corridors between Raleigh and Fayetteville and i can rule out two things:

1. US 401 is planned to be no more than a four lane rural boulevard. It may not even bypass Lillington or Fuquay-Varina! With the completion of I-295 and I-540/NC-540, it could/may facilitate future sprawl if/when the economy returns. But i do not think it will swallow up the 401 corridor since it will not be a high speed road. Leads to #2

2. I-95 is most likely the preferred route for motorists getting between Fayetteville and Raleigh. If and when the state widens I-95 and possibly I-40 to Benson, would lead to more development since it would make it easier to get places faster.

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/tpb/shc/concept/graphics/SHC_Map.jpg

(note: NC 210 is not planned to be a freeway. See the next link.)

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/tpb/statewideplan/pdf/NCStatewideTransportationPlan.pdf

(More detailed on different types of roadways. NC 210 will be a rural boulevard to US 401 in Lillington. No bypass seems to be proposed on this map)

Archived