A Vision for Spartanburg

Spartan

It IS the Catholic church looking to build on the vacant land. Don't ask where I got Advent out of it. Brain Freeze.

What do you guys thinks about closing the Broad street extension at the Denny's tower? Drivers would have to turn left onto Converse then right to get on Main. The curve into Main is OK, but it is tough for pedestrians.

I support the closing because it will slow eastbound Broad Street traffic.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Broad St would be a great side street. It needs a lot of work- like being narrowed and seeing more investment in smaller shops and such. Of course, one could also make the arguement that doing so would cut off Broad St from any significant traffic flow- thus reducing customers.

Another option would be to extend Broad St to Dean.

Another would be to create room for shops and such along the Broad St connector and just extend the current shopping environment around in that direction. Traffic will have to become less of an issue once they narrow E Main (which would include that section of Broad St I assume). Once that happens it only makes sense to remove that section of road... Of course then you have the Richardson Park retaining wall.

What would really help Broad St is to close off the semi-circular parking lot infront of the Broadwalk and turn it into a plaza that compliments Denny's Plaza. It could have some cool restaurants with outdoor seating- and there is plaenty of room there to accomodate a restaurant.

I had a new idea for a park system. Someone suggested that the old Spartan Mill site shoudl be used for the new City Hall, but it occured to me that the site would be better used (IMO) as a park that is part of a larger park system. If done correctly, with my previous idea, this system would rival the Reedy Falls Park in Greenville.

Park.jpg

Oh, and Wakefield will have to move.... sorry about that :)

I had a new idea for a park system. Someone suggested that the old Spartan Mill site shoudl be used for the new City Hall, but it occured to me that the site would be better used (IMO) as a park that is part of a larger park system. If done correctly, with my previous idea, this system would rival the Reedy Falls Park in Greenville.

Park.jpg

Oh, and Wakefield will have to move.... sorry about that :)

You'd also have to move two major railroad lines including the one that runs through the tunnel under church street. Thats a pretty tough neighborhood around the Spartan mill site too, but your idea has merrit. It would certainly make for a nice greenway and inhance that rather run down part of town.

You'd also have to move two major railroad lines including the one that runs through the tunnel under church street. Thats a pretty tough neighborhood around the Spartan mill site too, but your idea has merrit. It would certainly make for a nice greenway and inhance that rather run down part of town.

Yeah the railroads are a huge problem... however wide pedestrian bridges could be the work around for that. That neighborhood is indeed tough, but the area around downtown will have to be cleaned up sooner or later if they expect people to live there.

I've been MIA for awhile but always good to come back on and read Spartan's positive posts. I, too, love Spartanburg and I am so proud of where we're headed. I also appreciate all the positive plugs for Hampton Heights! We're working hard over there.

The Preservation Trust that you mentioned is doing a lot to revive Carlisle Street. They had their first buyer a couple of months ago...a young guy who works downtown and who, I've heard, in addition to walking to work, wants to be able to walk home from Wild Wings on the weekend. :) They are also working with Hub-Bub to attract artists to the area...because we're just a stone's throw from their building. We have quite a few new young couples that have bought on Perroneau...which now if we could just get rid of the one slumlord on that street that keeps it down. Which leads me to another positive thing the City has been doing...they started the livibility court and started doing code enforcement sweeps through the neighborhoods. This really helps those of us that try and take care of our property feel like it matters when the City holds everyone else responsible for not doing their part!

I totally agree with Spartan that the City has to invest in it's neighborhoods!! I love being in the City. And I love the neighborhoods. If I didn't live in HH the only other neighborhoods I'd be interested in would be Duncan Park and Park Hills. But the City seems to have forgotten about them too and they are way cool.

Have y'all ever been down Victoria Road? I think that is the name....between 29 and Reidville Rd. It comes out across from the Beacon...well, west of the Beacon a bit...but in that area. I discovered it not long ago...it is a beautiful street with many unique homes.

Anyhoo...anyone heading back to the area...do choose Spartanburg. My hubby and I grew up here, moved away and are glad we chose to return to our roots!

take care!

:-) t

I've been MIA for awhile but always good to come back on and read Spartan's positive posts. I, too, love Spartanburg and I am so proud of where we're headed. I also appreciate all the positive plugs for Hampton Heights! We're working hard over there.

The Preservation Trust that you mentioned is doing a lot to revive Carlisle Street. They had their first buyer a couple of months ago...a young guy who works downtown and who, I've heard, in addition to walking to work, wants to be able to walk home from Wild Wings on the weekend. :) They are also working with Hub-Bub to attract artists to the area...because we're just a stone's throw from their building. We have quite a few new young couples that have bought on Perroneau...which now if we could just get rid of the one slumlord on that street that keeps it down. Which leads me to another positive thing the City has been doing...they started the livibility court and started doing code enforcement sweeps through the neighborhoods. This really helps those of us that try and take care of our property feel like it matters when the City holds everyone else responsible for not doing their part!

I totally agree with Spartan that the City has to invest in it's neighborhoods!! I love being in the City. And I love the neighborhoods. If I didn't live in HH the only other neighborhoods I'd be interested in would be Duncan Park and Park Hills. But the City seems to have forgotten about them too and they are way cool.

Have y'all ever been down Victoria Road? I think that is the name....between 29 and Reidville Rd. It comes out across from the Beacon...well, west of the Beacon a bit...but in that area. I discovered it not long ago...it is a beautiful street with many unique homes.

Anyhoo...anyone heading back to the area...do choose Spartanburg. My hubby and I grew up here, moved away and are glad we chose to return to our roots!

take care!

:-) t

The city HAS forgotten about Park Hills. My hope is that Park Hills will in time become gentrified with young married couples. The housing stock is pretty solid and affordable for the most part and the neighborhood is wooded and attractive. $3 plus for a gallon of gas may convince some folks to take a closer look at this area.

Duncan Park is a great neighborhood with a fine homes. I hope the city will keep a close look because blight has begun to encroach on this area.

Glad to see that you're back!

Yes, welcome back tdreamweaver! I am glad that you come to read my posts, but I hope that you and others will stay and post as well- this forum is not just for me! I know that there are other people out there who care about Spartanburg (and want to talk about it) too :)

I dont go into Park Hills very much. And by that I mean I never go there. In fact, I'd say I've only been through there once or twice in my life. I am not clear on where its boundaries are. Does it to back up to the Joe Gibson dealership? How ar west does it go?

It is unfortunate that Spartanburg has forgotten its neighborhoods. Like I said, I think that its neighborhoods are its greatest asset. If they can be reviatlized (especially those near downtown), they would help instill a better sense of community in the city, and perhaps change the opinion about living in the inner neighborhoods. You hear about Converse Heights, Duncan park, and maybe a couple of others all of the time, but these smaller neighborhoods are jsut as important. I think that the Hanburg Heights name should be reused in that area that they want to call 'midtown' between Wofford St and W Main.

• 4 months later...

Billboards? No. There is actually County Ordinance that limits signs on the new 85- where you would see signs for downtown- to 19 (the pre-existing signs), and decreasing as signs are taken down for whatever reason.

There are, however, wayfinding/directional signs on 85 that point travelers to Spartanburg via the old 85, and from there signs indicate which exists to take for downtown.

I have, however, seen billboards around the city advertizing downtown.

And they have added in the past few years wayfinding signs on East and West Main Streets pointing travelers to downtown instead of using US-29, which is a quicker alternative to get through downtown by taking St John St, much like Church St in Greenville bypasses Main St.

Archived