NWA: "The geographic center of the economic universe"

KJW

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the classic case of 'figures don't lie, but liers figure.' I'm not calling him a lier, or implying he's one, but if you're familiar with statistics and how they are 'compiled' and taken out of context by the public/media, people can just about say anything without citation and sound credible... especially if it reinforces people's stereotypes. Let me remind you that in the 90's, 70% of people believed everything they read in the newspaper. Today, that figure is 50%. By 2050, that percentage is expected to drop to 5%.

I like that. And I wish these kinds of threads would be posted in the Northwest Arkansas Skybar because they don't pertain to any ongoing project or development or attraction in Northwest Arkansas.

Interesting article. But even if people want to argue the figures mentioned in the article there's still a point to be mentioned. Most of the coutries that have a large amount of caucasians have very low birth rates. Europe is a very good example of that. I'm not about to say that caucasians are about to shirnk down to nothing but I do think there is something to think about none the less. I really do like the mention of diversity too. I think most of the world's great cities and metros past and present had a lot of diversity. Personally I'd certainly like to see more of this for our area, a place for people no matter what race or religion to live side by side with each other and help further the economic miracle that has happened here.

I can see the point of this being 'off topic' but I'm also not sure how many 'off topic' subjects just one topic can handle very well without things getting lost. I'm curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for taking care of more of our topics including ones that are off topic as well.

But anyway thanks for bringing this up KJW it was an interesting read. It's also nice to see people having positive things to say. I hadn't exactly thought of this area as 'congenitally friendly' but it's a great attribute to have if it's true. :D

I can see the point of this being 'off topic' but I'm also not sure how many 'off topic' subjects just one topic can handle very well without things getting lost. I'm curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for taking care of more of our topics including ones that are off topic as well.

I do see your point and I'm not trying to be demanding or anything... I just think this Forum could get really messy if people post new topics every time thay find an "off topic" read or something. The Northwest Arkansas Skybar is a great place for "off topic" discussions that have little or no relation to Northwest Arkansas. I like to think of it as a place to "shoot the breeze" about anything in particular. I hope I'm not sounding to analytical or anal retentive about it. :D

I do see your point and I'm not trying to be demanding or anything... I just think this Forum could get really messy if people post new topics every time thay find an "off topic" read or something. The Northwest Arkansas Skybar is a great place for "off topic" discussions that have little or no relation to Northwest Arkansas. I like to think of it as a place to "shoot the breeze" about anything in particular. I hope I'm not sounding to analytical or anal retentive about it. :D

I do see your point, I've wondered in the past about which way to do things. Try to have as few topics as possible so they're easier to find. Although individual subjects might get lost in these topics. Or to have a lot of topics which would mean many would get pushed back and not be viewed or seen by as many people and also in a sense be lost as well. To be honest I'm not sure which way works best. In some ways I"m a bit used to not posint a lot of new topics because I was trying to limit things when all of this was in the Arkansas forum. I know a lot of people were feeling overhwhelmed with so much NWA topics so I tried to limit them so the whole top page wasn't just filled with NWA topics. I guess I tend to stay in that habit.

Sorry, everyone!

The only reason I posted this is because of the words he said which I put in the title...if that's how others are starting to perceive this area as the "geographic center of the economic universe"...those are VERY strong and incredible words.

Sorry, everyone!

The only reason I posted this is because of the words he said which I put in the title...if that's how others are starting to perceive this area as the "geographic center of the economic universe"...those are VERY strong and incredible words.

No worries. :D I'm glad you posted the article, as I said before it was a very interesting read.

Sorry, everyone!

There's nothing like a speaker who can easily please the local crowd.

Sorry, everyone!

BTW, we do not allow the posting of news links without commentary. Please review the rules on this. Your cooperation will be appreciated

Sorry, everyone!

Like Mith said, no worries... besides the title of the topic is actually a good one to use for NWA economic discussions.

JB Hunt is a pretty big, granted not anywhere like the others.

No offense intended, because I know posters are pretty protective of their regions, but why is that quote impressive? Who really cares if you are in the geographic center of the economic universe? It says nothing to how successful a region is, just where it is located.

Once again, no offense intended - I'm even considering a relocation to the area so I'm not biased against it.

No offense intended, because I know posters are pretty protective of their regions, but why is that quote impressive? Who really cares if you are in the geographic center of the economic universe? It says nothing to how successful a region is, just where it is located.

Once again, no offense intended - I'm even considering a relocation to the area so I'm not biased against it.

The quote actually has nothing to do with Northwest Arkansas... it came from the article that this thread started with. But it just seemed to be fitting for Northwest Arkansas since Wal-Mart is the driving force of America's economy. I'm kind of tired so if anyone chooses to challenge this statement, have at it. :P

Well I think sometimes we all have to take things with a grain of salt. But this happens in many forums. But some of us have a hard time containing our excitment for the area. :D I know I've heard some mentions of some of our forumers locating here to NWA but I don't think I've heard you mention it yet CentralArkansas.

Well I think sometimes we all have to take things with a grain of salt. But this happens in many forums. But some of us have a hard time containing our excitment for the area. :D I know I've heard some mentions of some of our forumers locating here to NWA but I don't think I've heard you mention it yet CentralArkansas.

Oh I'm not trying to put anything down - NWA certainly warrants excitement. It's just that I didn't understand the significance of the quote; not that NWA isn't an economic powerhouse - it certainly is.

Yes, I may be relocating to NWA in the next year. At first I was apprehensive, but after several visits I have really starting liking the idea. It's a beautiful area with lots to do - but I love the Little Rock area and what is happening there also.

Oh I'm not trying to put anything down - NWA certainly warrants excitement. It's just that I didn't understand the significance of the quote; not that NWA isn't an economic powerhouse - it certainly is.

Yes, I may be relocating to NWA in the next year. At first I was apprehensive, but after several visits I have really starting liking the idea. It's a beautiful area with lots to do - but I love the Little Rock area and what is happening there also.

Yeah NWA is a nice area but it's no Little Rock either and NWA just doesn't offer some of the urban feel that Little Rock can provide. Both are nice in their own ways. Although I suppose perhaps one day some areas of NWA might be a bit more urban if this growth keeps going.

Yeah NWA is a nice area but it's no Little Rock either and NWA just doesn't offer some of the urban feel that Little Rock can provide. Both are nice in their own ways. Although I suppose perhaps one day some areas of NWA might be a bit more urban if this growth keeps going.

It's no LR in the sense that LR has a developed urban core, but they offer completely different things. NWA offers a smaller town feel (to me), but due to the high paying jobs in the area it still offers a great selection of places to eat and things to do. I really like the area, I almost wish growth would level off so that it wouldn't turn into a large area.

It's no LR in the sense that LR has a developed urban core, but they offer completely different things. NWA offers a smaller town feel (to me), but due to the high paying jobs in the area it still offers a great selection of places to eat and things to do. I really like the area, I almost wish growth would level off so that it wouldn't turn into a large

Archived