FSU Master Plan

stjoe

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"i would like to see tally with a research hospital.....write the university, the president, the board, the city and county....st. joe and express the need for our community to move forward with this

why not tally?"

It would take massive donations from the local area (UCF has more than $93 Million in donations for their new COM). The state won't do it unless such support exists. FSU has been unable to find this kind of support. Although St Joe has offered land for such a hospital.

"Also, the Ajax page says the budget is $60M, and the FSU page says the budget is $42.5M."

FSU's says $54 Million when you include all costs. I imagine Ajax just rounded up.

• 1 month later...

fsu projects keep me excited about development... they seem like they will piece together the parking garage on tennessee pretty quickly... they have already topped out the sw corner, if not a bit of concreate anywhere else on it... and the project across tennessee by mcD's is an eyeful from DT on tennessee... Its an important lil piece of build-up.

The cranes are really flying over there on FSU's campus. It's like watching the development of a small city - just check out the view while driving west on Tennessee Street from Monroe.

I feel so proud to be a Tallahasseen at this moment because it's all about progress. Hopefully, some of the high tech industries will actually see that we are starting to show some definite signs of becoming a major player in the Panhandle.

Side note: Gosh, Tennessee and Monroe Streets really need more trees.

I feel so proud to be a Tallahasseen at this moment because it's all about progress. Hopefully, some of the high tech industries will actually see that we are starting to show some definite signs of becoming a major player in the Panhandle.

Side note: Gosh, Tennessee and Monroe Streets really need more trees.

AMEN to both those points!

As part of the Downtown Connectivity plan, the city plans to install landscaped medians for both streets. I agree, more greenery/vegitation is needed for both streets.

I hear ya! The South Monroe Sector plan is a real gem, if it comes to fruition. I'm not too familiar with the Downtown Connectivity plan, but landscaped medians are a perfect solution for softening all the asphalt and concrete along these corridors. Tennessee Street - between Brevard and Dewey - is just absolutely beautiful and the landscape should be extended to span from Ocala to Monroe Street. Can you imagine driving east on a landscaped Tennessee Street and seeing the future downtown highrises pointing skyward above the trees. What a beautiful postcard to send to some family and friends.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, here is a thought and I may need some input from some of you who have a much better memory that I do:

Back in January, FSU had proposed a new parking garage in the southwest corner of the Civic Center property and based on Carnaghi's (FSU's senior vice president of finance...) comments - FSU was ready to proceed with the project immediately. However, there were some concerns expressed by Paula Smith (chair person for the Performing Arts Center) that the "L-shaped" garage was too massive and would visually impair (block) the PAC which was planned (at that time) to be at the Civic Center site. So the details of the proposed garage project had to be ironed out with the PAC before construction could proceed.

Now that the new location for the PAC has been redesignated to be along the Gaines Street corridor, this should allow FSU to proceed with the proposed parking garage at the Civic Center. I think Copeland and Tennessee was the alternate location for the parking garage, but FSU chose the Civic Center site as the #1 priority due to its proximity to the southeast corner of FSU's campus.

Based on my understanding the parking garage would be at least 5 stories and able to accommodate at least 1000 parking vehicles. I realize FSU's garage is not the same as the proposed's Civic Center hotel's underground garage, but it may be just what's needed to get the hotel off the drawing boards and into reality. If the Civic Center Authority cannot finance the underground garage, then shouldn't they collaborate with FSU and the Hotel Association and try to make one massive garage? Any thoughts on this idea? The Civic Center hotels is undergoing some redesign so this is the perfect opportunity to combine the two projects.

Seminole,

I believe made the offer to save space and share the costs, but when the PAC was moved, the costs to help pay for the garage moved also. I believe FSU is moving forward with the parking garage in another area at this point now.

FSU also originally wanted to split the PAC and some of the cost with it (FSU had about $10-15 Million in hand for it), but that didn't work out either for some reason.

• 10 months later...

This has been discussed here on UP in the past. I believe stjoe initially told us about this, or perhaps it was someone else. My question, will this surge in campus parking translate into more campus housing, or more classrooms for extra students?

This has been discussed here on UP in the past. I believe stjoe initially told us about this, or perhaps it was someone else. My question, will this surge in campus parking translate into more campus housing, or more classrooms for extra students?

Archived