FSU Master Plan

stjoe

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Yeah that's what I meant. Knowing how competitive FSU is with UF, I didn't know if that was also a measure they were duking over. "

Neither school cares about size other than how it affects state funding.

The state funds higher ed basically based on size.....because we all know bigger is better in higher ed right (note sarcacsm). So that is why Florida Universities are so huge....they do it to keep the dollars rolling in.

FSU being the most dense campus in the state (maybe the nation, I don't know), they could care less about size....the do care about funding.

The Board of Regents needs more power IMHO. In many states like Michigan and NC they control almost every aspect of their Universities from curriculum to setting tuition. It would take a lot of the politics out of the game and make for a more efficient system. However lately our Legislature and JEB! have weakened the BOR b/c they feel real estate agents and hairdressers know more about higher education than trained professionals.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Student Success Center has begun construction. It will rise on Woodward Ave on the sites of the former convenience store and frat house, across from the Student Life Building. It will become the new home to the Career Center, Lead Center and Center for Civic Service and Education. Anticipated opening is Fall '08.

going to nitpick taureanj......what about fsu would you take over uga and athens? the campus borders and amazing little downtown. studied there......after class i would take a short walk through old campus cross one street and there sat restaurants, cafes, music stores, bars, theatres, and clothing shops....it is ideal and gaines st. ....i hope....ends up like this.....you would take fsu over that?.....would you be referring to crossing over tennessee st and eating at mcdonalds? or would it be miami subs? :D

all in good fun :lol:

AWESOME NEWS & OPPORTUNITY

A can't miss opportunity has surfaced from FSU. On May 11, the university's administration presented the FSU Board of Trustees with plans to construct a new Materials Research Building set to be completed in Fall of 2008.

This 44,000 square foot building will be home to the Center of Excellence in Advanced Materials located near the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory. This building will be used to develop new materials based on carbon nanotubes and other materials. It will have 13 laboratories for research of the design, processing, and characterization of advanced materials according to the FSU View.

What I am excited about is that they already have a material that they are working on called buckypaper. This material is supposed to be 10 times lighter than steel and 250 times stronger!!!!

IT COULD BE USED FOR MAKING BULLET PROOF VESTS OR ARMOR FOR TANKS, OR CARS, OR HUNDREDS OF OTHER PRODUCTS!!!! This is an incredible opportunity for COT and the Leon County Commission to partner with FSU and make this into a can't miss proposition.

I get giddy just thinking about what this technology could do for FSU (bring in millions) and its numerous spin off companies could do for Tallahassee.

Here are the links:

http://www.fsu.edu/news/2005/10/20/steel.paper/

http://media.www.fsunews.com/media/storage...g-2902658.shtml

Hey Guys, surely they can't screw this up..... can we??????? :dontknow:

"I get giddy just thinking about what this technology could do for FSU (bring in millions) and its numerous spin off companies could do for Tallahassee."

"Hey Guys, surely they can't screw this up..... can we??????? "

It takes a LOT to attract spin off companies and research. Very little of which Tally is actually doing. We have had articles detailing the failing points of Innovation Park, dollars to attract research companies, lack of a research park (University Park died), helping FSU instead of fighting with them, etc, etc.

Can good things happen? Yes, but will the area ever reach a critical mass of research to make really exciting things happen? Almost certainly no I would say having followed research efforts (or lack of them) the last 10 years or so.

That said, I would love to be proven wrong.....not by words...but by production.

I just don't get it St. Joe. Why are the city and the county not on board with this idea and collaborating with FSU? Will FSU eventually look to St. Joe Co. and try to do something near Southwood? Who are the players that must come to an agreement to get this thing going? What role does the Chamber and EDC play in this piece?

Lots of questions.

"I just don't get it St. Joe. Why are the city and the county not on board with this idea and collaborating with FSU? "

Too much bad blood maybe? Politics maybe? The idea that FSU, FAMU, and TCC have to be equal partners on everything hurts all these ideas for more reasons than I can detail (bottom line, this makes zero sense).

"Will FSU eventually look to St. Joe Co. and try to do something near Southwood?"

No, I think FSU isn't aggressive enough and St Joe gave up on this area making smart moves.

"Who are the players that must come to an agreement to get this thing going?"

Basically, everyone. All govt. groups, St Joe, FSU, etc. I think this is just unlikely to happen though...I have watch too many obvious opportunities pass to believe something will change.

"What role does the Chamber and EDC play in this piece?"

None as far as I can tell. Just political mumbo jumbo. Don't bother. These groups were part of the reason St Joe gave up on the areas (as far as bringing in BIG economic changes), they are just old school Tally....lots of talk, but basically WAY behind the times and just happy with state jobs.

Equal partners? Is that why the once proposed research park failed? When will Tally realize that it is FSU driving this area! It seems Gainesville and UF are light years ahead. It is frustrating that our city leaders cannot see the benefit of giving FSU the support it needs.

If the city is proposing an 80 million dollar effort to lure Piper, then I expect to see no different in bringing more research industry to the area.

• 2 months later...

The Democrat ran an article about the new master plan for FSU's SW campus.

Here's that link

My question is: Has anyone seen a copy of that master plan for this area and if so what's on it exactly? I know it includes the IM fields but what else and what is the specific area of this expansion? Yes I know the general area and the general streets I was looking for specifics. And even better, does anyone know a link that shows the master plan for this area?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow SJ, that monster file is full of useful info. Thanks a bunch for posting it. I think it will serve as a great reference tool.

I won't bore you w/all I saw, but I did learn that the intramural fields on the SW campus are going on the far western edge of it along Rankin Ave. I also was unaware that a lot of the land west of the golf course, FSU does not own and wants to buy just like they do for the main campus in the areas south and east of it.

Looks like they want to do a formal gate at Woodward and Gaines one day.

Question: Where is the Shores bldg? I know most bldgs by name on campus, but that one escapes me at the moment.

Thanks again. I will look at that file often in the future.

Archived