115 Winthrop Square/Trans National Place

Cotuit

Well.....there's about 1:45 left until bids are due. I would imagine it will be a few days before the details of any bids are released.

What do people think will be proposed? Straight office? Mixed-use with residential? Hotel? Any large retail anchors?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Mumbles doesn't let the race to 1,000 feet get in the way of a solid proposal. With development needed on the South Boston Waterfront, and proposals to deck over most of the Boston section of the Mass Pike with towers, I'd hate to see this take the steam away from those areas. Whatever is built it needs a solid retail base. I don't know though that I'd like to see a Time Warner Center like mall in the base. That would take away from efforts to revitalize Downtown Crossing and the proposed mall in the South Boston Waterfront area.

I agree that the idea of a mall a la TWC is a bit much for that location. Not the easiest to access via the T, and the roads around there reall don't need lots of additional delivery trucks. Some moderate priced food places (please no more "bar" food joints) and semi-luxury retailers (jewelry, men's fashion, luggage) would be a safe bet. As much as downtown needs a grocery, this isn't the right spot.

I think upper floor residential would be really desireable, since there would be amazing views of the harbor, blue hills, and of course the city itself, but there would need to be a pretty sophisticated system to control sway, for someone to consider living 1,000 feet up in the middle of a nor'easter.

Well....we already have an answer. Belkin was the only one to submit a proposal. He was considered to have the inside track, so maybe this is no surpirse.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2006...bidder_for.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

All that has been released so far is that it will be 1,000 feet high and have significant ground floor retail. Renzo Piano is the lead design architect.

Here is the rendering.

post-1289-1163459789_thumb.jpg

It's not quite what I was expecting, and it does look a bit odd, since everything else is relatively the same height. It looks like the new NY Times tower with a spine and attached spire.

A few more details were released in the Boston Business Journal.

Belkin's team has proposed 1.3 million square feet of commercial office space, 40,000 square feet of retail and restaurant uses and 55,000 square feet of public space including a one acre "Town Green" and a rooftop garden called "Lookout Garden."

Here is the rendering.

post-1289-1163459789_thumb.jpg

It's not quite what I was expecting, and it does look a bit odd, since everything else is relatively the same height. It looks like the new NY Times tower with a spine and attached spire.

A few more details were released in the Boston Business Journal.

• 2 months later...

This thing has taken its next baby-step forward......I think that over the next 90 days, we will really have a sense of if this will happen or not. That's when the BRA will examine the financials of the project.

Menino Announces First Official Step in Realization of Winthrop Square Tower

Says Trans National

I think the excitement about this project is growing. As we get better looks at the proposal, it is a really first class building. When you consider that Russia Wharf is under construction and the SST is set to break ground in a couple of months, the Financial District is going to look vastly different in a few years.

Businessman Steve Belkin was designated by the Boston Redevelopment Authority today to build the city's tallest building.

The tower would be on the site of a parking garage in the Financial District.

Belkin has proposed an unusual 1,000-foot tower, perched on columns three stories above Federal Street, with a public park underneath, restaurants, and a gathering area called a town green.

Elevators on the outside of the glass building would whisk tenants and visitors skyward; atop the 80 stories would be a half-acre "look-out park."

"Boston's known for its revolution," Belkin told the BRA board. The building, he said, "will revolutionize skyscrapers. We

• 3 months later...

Archived