Riverfest

mcheiss

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard some great news for Riverfest, and the bands that are going to perfrom at it.

1) The Doobie Brothers

2) Kool and the Gang

3) Country Singers Dwight Yoakam and Pat Green

4) A New Orleans Band The Neville Brothers.

This sounds like great news for Little Rock!!

Looks like the Doobie Brothers are taking a tour of Arkansas. The played at the AMP here in Fayetteville last summer.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They set a record for Fridy night attendence at over 50,000. I was there Sat. afternoon/night and the crowd was very large. The trolleys were standing room only and there was a waiting line to get across the river. They also had trams(tractors pulling 16ft trailers with benches from the state fair) transporting people across the river. The line for these extended for two blocks on the NLR side. They divided the Main St. bridge with the east side for the trolleys and trams and the west side for people to walk. At times there were a mass of people crossing the bridge on foot. It looked like LR's version of when there is a power failure in New York City and people have to walk across the bridges. The only problem I saw was when you went from one side to the other you had to leave the Riverfest grounds and then had to go back through check-in. Part of this problem should be fixed next year with the opening of the Junction Bridge.

Here are a couple of pictures and these don't due justice to the amount of people there. Most of them did not turn out due to sun angle.

dscf26694bz.jpg

dscf267016wq.jpg

Last night Dwight Yoakam played at the Amphitheatre. He packed the place. Riverfest only supposed to be open until 11 p.m. but Dwight kept the place open late by playing until 12:15. Riverfest officials said they had pre-sold tickets to people in 29 states. For the price of $7.50 its had to find something better to do for three days.

Yeah thanks for the pics skirby. I certainly know what you mean about the angle of the sun messing up pics.

It was getting late and every picture I wanted to take happened to be looking to the west.

That's awesome, thanks for sharing those pics! Originally my trip to Hot Springs would have been during Riverfest and I would have driven over to L.R. for it. I hate that I missed it, but it sounds like it was a cool event with great music and big crowds.

The official count has not been released but it has been announced that a record was set over the weekend for attendance.

It's interesting the approach Little Rock has taken. As opposed to Jazzfest or Memphis in May, LR has stuck with a more modest but very diverse lineup to keep ticket prices affordable to virtually everyone. Because of that attendance is always spectacular, but far more locoregional than national like New Orleans and Memphis.

They are talking about using Dickey-Stephens Park(new ballpark) as part or Riverfest next year. It is located outside of the main entry to the NLR side of Riverfest. It would be a good place for concerts as well as a place to watch the fireworks.

They are talking about using Dickey-Stephens Park(new ballpark) as part or Riverfest next year. It is located outside of the main entry to the NLR side of Riverfest. It would be a good place for concerts as well as a place to watch the fireworks.

Since the park is being built with taxpayer money, it would be nice for it to hold occasional concerts; though, I don't think the folks that run the Riverfest Amphitheatre would like the competition for concerts on the river.

Ray Winder Field has hosted concerts, such as the Bob Dylan one last summer. Does anyone know how the money was distributed at Ray Winder events, and how oftern events were held there?

• 1 year later...

It's interesting the approach Little Rock has taken. As opposed to Jazzfest or Memphis in May, LR has stuck with a more modest but very diverse lineup to keep ticket prices affordable to virtually everyone. Because of that attendance is always spectacular, but far more locoregional than national like New Orleans and Memphis.

Archived