2010 urbanized area figures

krazeeboi

I think that statement says it all! There are sevearl jobs for anyone under or over 21 at the coast (ie MB) but the majority are low wage service jobs that can be filled by practically anyone with little too no education. ...

Well no, that was 1/2 of what I posted. I said there were high demands for job applicants of all educational levels. The point of it was to counter the earlier dismissals of Myrtle Beach as nothing but tourist town that is only suited for old people and young people need not apply. I fully believe it has already surpassed Spartanburg in size, and if the growth continues, will eventually become the #2 metro in the state. Especially if the upstate keeps losing manufacturing jobs, and the government in Columbia starts cutting back.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well no, that was 1/2 of what I posted. I said there were high demands for job applicants of all educational levels. The point of it was to counter the earlier dismissals of Myrtle Beach as nothing but tourist town that is only suited for old people and young people need not apply. I fully believe it has already surpassed Spartanburg in size, and if the growth continues, will eventually become the #2 metro in the state. Especially if the upstate keeps losing manufacturing jobs, and the government in Columbia starts cutting back.

USC's research campus will more than make up for any government cutbacks. Besides, government cutbacks never last long due to an ever increasing population that needs government services. And small businesses, with a strong interchange between USC, Midlands Tech and other colleges here, are really what the future of Columbia is all about anyway. The USC small business incubator has just moved into a new building that increases its capacity exponentially. This city is continuing full steam ahead in putting on a new face, preservation-wise and in new architecture. It is really starting to turn visitors' heads.

Seriously now. Myrtle Beach is not going to do that ANY time soon.

Census numbers:

Greenville Co increased by 21,558 people between 2000 and 2004...

Horry Co increased by 20,979 people between 2000 and 2004...

Granted that these aren't the only counties in the metros, but we can agree that most growth occurs in these counties respectively. Greenville's still increasing by a larger number. What's going to slow that? ICAR? Millenium Campus? Some of SC fastest growing companies? 10 out of SC's 25 fastest growing companies call Greenville home. More than half of SC's fastest growing companies (13 to be exact) call the Upstate home (defined by 10 counties). I'm not sure how this is going to stunt Greenville's growth... Besides by the time MB does become a more competitive size, the Upstate will have one main metro that will be GSA- and no one's going to knock it out of first in any time in the near future. MB can shoot for 3rd then, but I doubt Columbia is going to be moved out of the top 3 metros.

I read South Carolina Employment Trends monthly and the latest jobs figures show that Columbia is emerging from the slump of the past few years. Last month the Columbia metro gained 1500 jobs, the most of all the metros. It has been trending up for that last year according to that magazine. It gives jobs increases and decreases from one month to the next and from last year to the same month this year. And Columbia MSA's job market is about 40,000-50,000 workers larger than the others according to the magazine.

Keep in mind that "the BIG 3" includes a city (Greenville) which is at the center of the region with the largest population (Upstate), and has many more jobs not accounted for on your chart because of the "metro" statistic boundaries, which are quite worthless in the matter of overall strength. The Upstate is every bit as economically strong as the other two major regions. No matter how the numbers are attempted to be reshaped, all three major metro areas are currently growing at the same pace.

You'll have to show your source, because I was under the impression that the Charleston metro area has more jobs than the others. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this is a Columbia publication. Numbers can be turned in anyone's favor quite easily in this state.

Keep in mind that "the BIG 3" includes a city (Greenville) which is at the center of the region with the largest population (Upstate), and has many more jobs not accounted for on your chart because of the "metro" statistic boundaries, which are quite worthless in the matter of overall strength.

I disagree. The metropolitan area is the preferred entity when measuring economic strength; it is municipal boundaries which are practically useless in this case. However, the Upstate is a CSA, which, like an MSA, is based on commuting patterns, thus demonstrating economic ties.

You'll have to show your source, because I was under the impression that the Charleston metro area has more jobs than the others. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this is a Columbia publication. Numbers can be turned in anyone's favor quite easily in this state.

CorgiMatt is referring to a state publication. Here's the source. Note that this is for December 2005 (although the trend was the same several months before then). Also, we're speaking of labor force, which isn't necessarily number of jobs, but is a strong indicator of such.

krazeeboi, I was refering to regions once again, instead of the boundaries set by stats collectors. I know many people all around the Upstate region who do most of their business in Greenville, but who you'll never find in these concentrated numbers. BTW, I had read that same publication and did not get the same impression as CorgiMatt. I also noticed that their job outlook page had the counties of the state sectioned into groups of 4 or so, except Greenville County, which was the only one by itself No explanation was given for this, so I don't know what to assume the makers indended. In any case, show me where the growth rate is stronger in one of the regions, because I don't see it.

As usual, the publication forgets some facts. Chas and MB have gained more jobs than other metros in the state according to numerous other articles and business journals.

Yes it has, and that was for 2001-2004; the article I posted documents more recent information, although there is no reason to believe that Charleston and Myrtle Beach have cooled off as far as job growth is concerned. Secondly, this is a monthly state publication, and therefore does not document trends as far as metro areas are concerned. It simply categorizes monthly trends by metro areas and counties.

krazeeboi, I was refering to regions once again, instead of the boundaries set by stats collectors. I know many people all around the Upstate region who do most of their business in Greenville, but who you'll never find in these concentrated numbers. BTW, I had read that same publication and did not get the same impression as CorgiMatt. I also noticed that their job outlook page had the counties of the state sectioned into groups of 4 or so, except Greenville County, which was the only one by itself No explanation was given for this, so I don't know what to assume the makers indended. In any case, show me where the growth rate is stronger in one of the regions, because I don't see it.

I understand that you were speaking of regions, which is why I brought up CSAs, which is essentially a region. But when looking at economic trends and labor workforce, MSAs are stronger indicators of such. These aren't arbitrary designations. But if we took the Upstate as a whole, it is obvious that as far as regions in the state go, it would come out on top. Also, I don't think that CorgiMatt was saying that growth was stronger in the Midlands as opposed to any other region, just that the Columbia metro area has started to rebound a bit as far as jobs go.

Let reports say what they say. If a particular one doesn't put your city/metro/region on top, I'm sure there are others that do.

Do y'all think that Lancaster will ever become one of SC's largest cities? With the growth of the Charlotte Metro, and the possible move of Continental Tire and Lending Tree to northern Lancaster county. I think hwy. 521 (if I'm not mistaken) will become one of SC's fastest growning areas in the next 10 years or so. I wonder if the Sun City developments will catch on and help to make the upstate as large a retirement area as say the NC mountains or the Lowcountry.

The Sun City development received mention in the Charlotte Observer as one of the region's next big things to look out for. It's a retirement community, which is being developed by the same company that did Sun City Hilton Head. The one in Lancaster, Sun City Carolina Lakes, will have 3,300 homes and is scheduled to open in August if I'm not mistaken.

Most of these developments in Lancaster County are occurring outside of Lancaster city limits. Also, that sliver of the county wedged between Mecklenburg and York counties is pretty much the only part of the county experiencing such investment (aside from Sun City Carolina Lakes), even though it certainly is significant investment. So with that said, while Lancaster County will continue to benefit from its proximity to Mecklenburg County, specifically the well-to-do Ballentyne area, the city of Lancaster itself won't really experience much population growth, IMO.

The Sun City development received mention in the Charlotte Observer as one of the region's next big things to look out for. It's a retirement community, which is being developed by the same company that did Sun City Hilton Head. The one in Lancaster, Sun City Carolina Lakes, will have 3,300 homes and is scheduled to open in August if I'm not mistaken.

Most of these developments in Lancaster County are occurring outside of Lancaster city limits. Also, that sliver of the county wedged between Mecklenburg and York counties is pretty much the only part of the county experiencing such investment (aside from Sun City Carolina Lakes), even though it certainly is significant investment. So with that said, while Lancaster County will continue to benefit from its proximity to Mecklenburg County, specifically the well-to-do Ballentyne area, the city of Lancaster itself won't really experience much population growth, IMO.

Ahh yeah the Post and Courier said they (Sun City) were looking for land in Berkeley County... Is this company making any real big plans for expansion????

I think if there is any city within my lifetime that could challange the big three it will be Myrtle Beach. Horry County is huge and most of its population is 10 miles from the ocean. It has alot of room to grow and its lucky enought to be on the ocean. Anybody that's been to southern california knows that you don't have to have a "city center" to be considered a major metro area (ie orange county), seriously the future of much of the southern US.

• 3 months later...

I have searched the census bureau's website for urbanized area figures, and I can't find anything. Can one of you guys post a link or something so I can look at these numbers for myself? I would like to investigate the numbers in some cities in other states. Also, does anyone do estimates on these figures (I noticed all of you cited the 2000 census) or do we have to wait until 2010 to get an update?

• 2 years later...

I didn't know this, but I just discovered that the Census Bureau, by way of the American Community Survey, releases annual urbanized area estimates. Here's what we have for 2000:

1) Charleston--North Charleston: 423,410

2) Columbia: 420,537

3) Greenville: 302,194

4) Spartanburg: 145,058

5) Myrtle Beach: 122,984

6) Mauldin-Simpsonville: 77,831

7) Anderson: 70,436

8) Rock Hill: 70,007

9) Florence: 67,314

10) Sumter: 64,320

And here are the 2007 estimates:

1) Charleston-North Charleston: 466,402

2) Columbia: 451,792

3) Greenville: 321,221

4) Spartanburg: 156,840

5) Myrtle Beach: 138,005

6) Mauldin-Simpsonville: 94,948

7) Anderson: 72,250

8) Rock Hill: 88,730

9) Florence: 70,448

10) Sumter: N/A (estimates are only for UA's with a population of 65K+)

So I suppose one could use the rate of growth from 2000-2007 for each UA to obtain rough estimates for 2010.

When will Mauldin-Simpsonville be added to Greenville's figures? Is there anywhere that you can find a map of these areas? Does anyone know if Greer is included in Greenville's? If so, then M-S has no excuse to be separate.

Greenville with Mauldin-Simpsonville:

2000 -- 380,025

2007 -- 416,169

When will Mauldin-Simpsonville be added to Greenville's figures? Is there anywhere that you can find a map of these areas? Does anyone know if Greer is included in Greenville's? If so, then M-S has no excuse to be separate.

Greenville with Mauldin-Simpsonville:

2000 -- 380,025

2007 -- 416,169

Greenville_suburban_UA.jpg

That was from one of Spartan earlier posts; not sure what year it is, but it's probably not connected to Greenville's UA yet due to the land where ICAR/Verdae sits. But for all practical purposes, it's all one area.

Archived