Publicity for UrbanPlanet.org

goodbye

Okay, most of the members on UrbanPlanet.org stumbled upon the site while searching for information about a city or development in general. We all know how very addicting this site is once we start to post our ideas, photos, comments, etc. I've been thinking for quite awhile about creative methods to attract potential members for the Greenville and Upstate forums, and would like as much help as you can give. Is there anyone you know who has a positive take on Greenville? Is there any way we can effectively get UrbanPlanet.org into the masses of the city and suburbs? I think it would be relatively easy to attract people, but they have to know about us first. ;)

Let's start setting the ideas, concepts, visions, and other thoughts on the table and get serious about making this site the information buzz hub of all other local sites. It will happen if we make it happen! :yahoo:

First off,

• Bumper stickers

• Hats (coming soon!)

• Shirts

• Flyers

These are some of the items we currently have available to buy (no nead to purchase the flyers, I believe, but it would be nice). If you have anything else in mind to attract the interest of others, let's hear it! :thumbsup:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To bring people into Greenville (or the Upstate forum), you would want to create a web site that directed them to here with an easy to remember address such as "UrbanPlanet.org/Greenville". From there they could navigate to the other forums.

If the site were to be viewed by a potential sponsor as feedback to their marketing effort, or treated as a focus group, you may be able to get some funding. For example, "UrbanPlanet.org/GreenvilleDrive" could be where fans get together to discuss games, players, parking, trolley service, the ballpark or whatever. The Drive would be able to get their finger on the pulse of the customer. You could probably get them to put up a banner in the outfield for nothing or next to nothing. Same with the Grrowl (or however you spell it).

Think about who might benefit from hearing the "chatter" about their product or service and create a forum dedicated to the subject. Pitch it as a vehicle for marketing feedback to groups with high public visibility and a good advertising budget.

My $.02 :D

This may be oversimplifying it, but I know TaureanJ posted flyers all about Tallahassee, Florida advertising the Tallahassee Forum on Urban Planet. Soon after, that forum exploded in population. There's a photo of the flyer/advertisement on their forum there somewhere. I just tried to find it, but I couldn't remember where exactly I had seen it.

Essentially, it says something along of the lines of, "Tallahassee!! We're talking about you ... at UrbanPlanet.org!!" It then goes on to explain how to find the Tallahassee forum on U.P. and asks people to get involved.

I agree with NYT that a quick "U.P. URL" would be a good thing to have:

It'd be cool if we could have some of the merchandise at the U.P. Store customized for Greenville or something, too.

Although, couldn't you see it?

847759.jpg/magnet.jpg

Think that would be too cryptic? Would people compare us to Google? LOL

I think the UrbanPlanet logo, with "GREENVILLE" written below it, would be really cool also. I would definitely buy one! :thumbsup:

P.S. I want to buy one of those Greenville box stickers for my car (above on the right). I have seen them around Greenville. Where can I get one?

P.S. I want to buy one of those Greenville box stickers for my car (above on the right). I have seen them around Greenville. Where can I get one?

http://www.cityblocks.net/ - they're free with each purchase. You can also get them (when you're in town) at Eden and Barefoot Comfort Company, both on Main Street Downtown.

Flyers would definitly help get the word out.I also like btoys's idea a article on UP would help work wonders.There was also mention of community service in the past, alot of people would take notice if more people were to get involved with the community.

Flyers would definitly help get the word out.I also like btoys's idea a article on UP would help work wonders.There was also mention of community service in the past, alot of people would take notice if more people were to get involved with the community.

I really think these are two wonderful ways we can get into the community and make a difference here. Btoy, if you would be willing to pitch the site in a BIG way to any writers and such, I will be glad to help you wherever you need it. I am rather astonished our local media has refrained from giving UP any publicity to date. This is exactly the type of site a city needs to get the public's creative juices flowing and improve the level of excitement about living here. :D

Now as for community service, I think we should figure out the best place to get involved as a team, but also just start helping everywhere we're able, and at the same time, let everyone know about UP. One of the services I feel would be most effective and necessary is the cleaning and long-term pride of I-85 through Greenville County. It is dispicable to say the least. Darw10 hit the nail on the head by announcing this trash as a local disgrace. We should do no less than hammer away at the city and county officials about this issue. It is time we made a visible difference and not only a verbal one! :thumbsup:

I really think these are two wonderful ways we can get into the community and make a difference here. Btoy, if you would be willing to pitch the site in a BIG way to any writers and such, I will be glad to help you wherever you need it. I am rather astonished our local media has refrained from giving UP any publicity to date. This is exactly the type of site a city needs to get the public's creative juices flowing and improve the level of excitement about living here. :D

Now as for community service, I think we should figure out the best place to get involved as a team, but also just start helping everywhere we're able, and at the same time, let everyone know about UP. One of the services I feel would be most effective and necessary is the cleaning and long-term pride of I-85 through Greenville County. It is dispicable to say the least. Darw10 hit the nail on the head by announcing this trash as a local disgrace. We should do no less than hammer away at the city and county officials about this issue. It is time we made a visible difference and not only a verbal one! :thumbsup:

I agree Skyliner! If we made a visible difference, the media and the local officials would take notice.

Great suggestions all. Iv'e been out all day and came home to this. RT, I like the idea of the UP logo being incorporated. I agree with Greenville, the UP logo with Greenville below it could be the hot ticket. Take some of the photo of the day shots, or send everyone out "on assignment" and create a flyer like TaureanJ.

TaureanJ, great job on your flyer BTW. Very simple and to the point. I can see why it was effective. :thumbsup:

I can help out with the flyer or at the very least lend any phtos that I've taken if anyone wants to use them. I've played around with a few of the "flickr tools" that allow you to print posters/etc. from your photos, too. This makes me think that a few larger posters may be a good idea to place in strategic locations (perhaps in the Falls Park in the display window on the back side of the map stations, etc.).

Although we can't perform interstate cleanup ourselves, we should probably pick a rather high-traffic stretch of road (other than interstate highway) and do a road-side cleanup. You can definitely count me in for any road-side cleanup as long as I live here. :thumbsup: I can see it now - all of us in our Urban Planet long-sleeve t-shirts (short-sleeves aren't a good thing when cleaning and clearing, trust me) walking along the side of the road picking up rubbage.

Perhaps we can, as a group, go through the orientation and get involved in Hands on Greenville, too? I'm not sure how many of us may already be involved through their places of business, etc. though. HOG Day should be coming up soon.

I think Myspace Groups would be a good way to spread the word about UrbanPlanet.org.

A lot of members here already have a myspace account. All they would have to do is start a new group, or join a pre-existing one and promote UrbanPlanet.org.

Here's a link to a pretty active Greenville group: http://groups.myspace.com/greenville

^^That's not a bad idea. I belong to that MySpace group and a couple other local groups:

http://groups.myspace.com/gvegassc

http://groups.myspace.com/upstatesouthcarolina

http://groups.myspace.com/OCHAteabar

The only concern I have is that many of us are well into our adult years and most of the folks that hang out on MySpace seem to be in their teens and early 20s. I'm not saying we wouldn't be able to find lots of people interested in Greenville's Development Issues on MySpace. I guess I'm just concerned that's not our best target crowd, maybe? Only one way to find out.

The only concern I have is that many of us are well into our adult years and most of the folks that hang out on MySpace seem to be in their teens and early 20s. I'm not saying we wouldn't be able to find lots of people interested in Greenville's Development Issues on MySpace. I guess I'm just concerned that's not our best target crowd, maybe? Only one way to find out.

RT, judging by the first reply in the Greenville forum, you hit the nail on the head. <_<

Man, I missed alot these last couple of days.

I think the idea of the flyers done by Tallahassee is great idea! Simple, direct. To position these flyers in the stands of "free" literature at local restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. The same places you pick up Link, Critter, (at one time MetroBeat), etc, etc. A solid group of urbanites pick these up regularly. This would get a good local core. The airport would be an additional positive location and would help "spread" Greenville.

I agree the more simple and direct the better.....Greenville block merchandise to out of state relatives and friends for holiday presents works wonders.

I have a long flight in about an hour....giving this some serious thought. Will post some ideas this evening.

Archived