Electric streetcars to be restored, returned to service

vicupstate

Electric Streetcar Trolleys to be restored, returned to service

This is exciting. This same type thing was the precursor to Charlotte's own light-rail system, which is being developed now.

PLUS Charleston already has a sales tax in place for transit! This could be a great demonstartion project for mass transit.

Anybody know where the exactly line is that is being referred to?

GO Charleston !! Lead the way in SC!

:yahoo:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see a historic trolley working in Charleston. In fact it would be a nice upgrade to the rather touristy horse drawn carts that are pulled around the town now as they might do something to help with the traffic and parking situation on the Pensiula. I would like to see the smelly horses removed or maybe limited to Battery St. for photo taking.

Light rail would be nice if they could get it going down there as it may help to slow down some of the really sprawl based development that is taking place now. If the trolley helps this, as it did in CLT, then I am all for it. It definately helps that Futrex is based there as well. It will be a race to see which city in SC will get it first as there is a proposal in the 2007 Bush Budget for $400K to study putting an electric trolley in Rock Hill. This system could eventually connect via commuter rail to CLT's system.

Here are a couple of photos of the actual trolley car mentioned in the above article. I took this shortly after the line opened an as you can see it is well used. This particular car operated in Charlotte in the 1920s & 30s, was actually built in CLT, after the line shutdown in 1938 it was moved to Huntersville where it was converted to a house. In the late 80s, like the cars in Charleston it was converted to a house. Later it was discovered, restored and brought back to service which sparked CLT's interest and now plans to build a passenger rail system. Lets hope something similar happens in Charleston.

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

That is very exciting. I like the idea of having these running around again. I don't think they should, or would, replace the horses- which have a special place in Charleston.

I wish they would say how far into Charleston they would go. Will it be just from Chas to N Chas or will it be to circulate tourists?

I agree with you on the horses, Spartan. The horse carriages provide a romantic venue and atmosphere which doesn't exist in any other SC city.

As for where the trolleys will be, I've read on plans for the trolleys to start at the Visitor's Center DT, then proceed up to the Neck developments around The Promenade and Magnolia projects. I don't know if it would go up to the coliseum and convention center in the north area, because there is no old or current rail that goes there.

I agree with you on the horses, Spartan. The horse carriages provide a romantic venue and atmosphere which doesn't exist in any other SC city.

As for where the trolleys will be, I've read on plans for the trolleys to start at the Visitor's Center DT, then proceed up to the Neck developments around The Promenade and Magnolia projects. I don't know if it would go up to the coliseum and convention center in the north area, because there is no old or current rail that goes there.

Or very many cities in America for that matter.

I guess thats good too. It will be more useful when there is more stuff to do north of the visitor's center. I'd like to see it circulate downtown too though :)

Archived