The Dome at Lake Eola

Tim3167

• 1 month later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Come on guys, anything new on this at all?

Anything beyond what's in the thread?

I must know

I can add a *little* more info to this, since I did the rendering. Hahaha. I was approached last year to do a drawing with the only guideline being the rough floor count(about 35, but no more) and that it should be congruent with the style of the church. The church's architecture lent itself far more toward a heavy building then a modern glass one, so I tried to do a design that rose from the church instead of seeming to lean over it. They seemed interested in just using it to show potential investors to get funding. I was frankly surprised to learn that they actually printed a poster and put it up downtown, I just figured it was a quick illustration gig. Some people like it, some people don't... eyh, I know I'll laugh if it goes up. :P One word though - never underestimate the pockets of the religious orgs. in this area! Oh, and I had *nothing* to do with the website...good lord.

I can add a *little* more info to this, since I did the rendering. Hahaha. I was approached last year to do a drawing with the only guideline being the rough floor count(about 35, but no more) and that it should be congruent with the style of the church. The church's architecture lent itself far more toward a heavy building then a modern glass one, so I tried to do a design that rose from the church instead of seeming to lean over it. They seemed interested in just using it to show potential investors to get funding. I was frankly surprised to learn that they actually printed a poster and put it up downtown, I just figured it was a quick illustration gig. Some people like it, some people don't... eyh, I know I'll laugh if it goes up. :P One word though - never underestimate the pockets of the religious orgs. in this area! Oh, and I had *nothing* to do with the website...good lord.

antsin, did you think about going with the neo-classical elements and doing something along the lines of the Wrigley Building? It would be anachronistic, but if done well would work and look 100 years old.

antsin, did you think about going with the neo-classical elements and doing something along the lines of the Wrigley Building? It would be anachronistic, but if done well would work and look 100 years old.

I'm not really a big fan of that particular building(Wrigley) myself, I kinda feel like its not aging as gracefully as some of the other towers of that era. My design here has grown on me since I did it, sort of like a persistent fungus, and now it brings a bit of an amused smirk to my mouth when I look at it. In the eventuality of it being built I would probably find a good deal of fun in the inevitable controversy over its design and over the impact it would have on the Lake Eola rim. I would argue against it being terribly ugly, but as with all things aesthetic I accept everyone's opinion as valid. :]

I'm not really a big fan of that particular building(Wrigley) myself, I kinda feel like its not aging as gracefully as some of the other towers of that era. My design here has grown on me since I did it, sort of like a persistent fungus, and now it brings a bit of an amused smirk to my mouth when I look at it. In the eventuality of it being built I would probably find a good deal of fun in the inevitable controversy over its design and over the impact it would have on the Lake Eola rim. I would argue against it being terribly ugly, but as with all things aesthetic I accept everyone's opinion as valid. :]

wow. you are the actual person who designed it. that is pretty cool.

but, how can that be considered to have a "design;" it looks like 3 levels of superimposed pattern of the Roman Coliseum with a dome on top; a makeshift rendering for the sake of timeliness; moreso a composite vision than anything else.

and how can it be considered ugly as well? it looks like a basic prelim. drawing, along the same lines as Ridgely Manor-- except Ridgely was a model or 3-D rendering with a real finite height, width, etc... THe Dome hasn't even gotten that far... or did I miss something?

anyway, welcome to the forum...

Well let's say this project hypothetically has the chance to see light of day, how would it fit into that lot with the Rosalind potentially being built on the same block?

Taken into consideration about the Rosalind, does the Dome really have a realistic shot?

Well let's say this project hypothetically has the chance to see light of day, how would it fit into that lot with the Rosalind potentially being built on the same block?

Taken into consideration about the Rosalind, does the Dome really have a realistic shot?

With all due respet to the artist of said project, I am positive it was not drawn with realistic expectations of being built.

If you read the notes from the June MPB Meeting there is this interesting set of comments in relation to the Rosalind proposal:

- The pastor of the Orthodox Church expressed concern to the board that the landmark building would be surrounded by huge towers

- The owner of the Rosalind property showed the board a photo of a poster outlining the Church's plan to build thier own tower (Our famous Dome poster?)

-The pastor then clarified that the tower proposal is no longer under consideration

oh well, I was kind of counting o the Dome to pull through <_<

If you read the notes from the June MPB Meeting there is this interesting set of comments in relation to the Rosalind proposal:

- The pastor of the Orthodox Church expressed concern to the board that the landmark building would be surrounded by huge towers

- The owner of the Rosalind property showed the board a photo of a poster outlining the Church's plan to build thier own tower (Our famous Dome poster?)

-The pastor then clarified that the tower proposal is no longer under consideration

oh well, I was kind of counting o the Dome to pull through <_<

Thanks for the info

Shame really, I'm certainly not in love with the Dome but to have that kind of density along Lake Eola along with all else going up there, I would have lived with the Dome design

Would have looked great standing next to the Rosalind, Vue, Dynetech, TT and Cap Plaza 3

Oh well, can still dream

wow. you are the actual person who designed it. that is pretty cool.

but, how can that be considered to have a "design;" it looks like 3 levels of superimposed pattern of the Roman Coliseum with a dome on top; a makeshift rendering for the sake of timeliness; moreso a composite vision than anything else.

and how can it be considered ugly as well? it looks like a basic prelim. drawing, along the same lines as Ridgely Manor-- except Ridgely was a model or 3-D rendering with a real finite height, width, etc... THe Dome hasn't even gotten that far... or did I miss something?

anyway, welcome to the forum...

You're right, it was obviously an idea sketch type of rendering - but all things of that nature come under the heading of 'designs' irrespective of their completeness or complexity. One has to admit that the church would have no choice but to appear commercialized with such a large tower nearly surrounding it.

• 3 months later...

I hate to bring this thread back because it's probably not being built anyway, but I noted that in the version downtown they chopped off the right side of the building. This is the original design, which I think doesn't look quite as bad as the one they ended up with :P Sort of an artistic integrity thing you know, even though most people don't like the design anyway! ^_^

3d_03.jpg

I wouldn't mind it being all that commercialized there if we get yet another tower

Crossing my fingers but not holding my breath

The ultimate Catch 22

Archived