Richmond Events

burt

Here is my list of performance venues in Metro Richmond either existing or coming (hopefully) on line. I may mis-name some of them because endowments, etc. may have provided new titles.

I start with the central city and move outward. Seating capacities are my estimates.

THE LANDMARK THEATRE - 3500 seats - at Laurel and Main on Monroe Park.

THE CARPENTER CENTER - 2000 seats - 6th and Grace.

THE MUSIC HALL - 1200 seats on Broad between 6th and 7th (proposed).

A jazz club in the 7th & Grace Thalhimer building (proposed).

A 200 seat black box theatre space in the 7th & Grace Thalhimer building (proposed).

NATIONAL THEATRE - 1100 seats at 7th and Broad (to undergo restoration).

THE RICHMOND COLISEUIM -14,000 seats bounded by 5th, 7th, Festival Park and Leigh streets.

THE BLUES ARMORY - 6th and Marshall. A potentialy large performance facility.

TOAD'S PLACE RICHMOND - 1400 to 1500 capacity club on the Canal Walk at Virginia street.

THE POWER PLANT - on the canal at 1100 Haxall in the Richmond-on-James complex. Capacity and use not yet determined - but very large.

THE HIPPODROME - 500 seats (est.) on 2nd street between Clay and Leigh

(proposed reconstruction).

THE EMPIRE THEATRE - 600 seats on Broad between Adams and Jefferson.

THEATRE IV Blackbox - 250 seat theatre space adjacent to THE EMPIRE.

(Proposed).

THE RENNAISSANCE - capacity unknown in the turreted building on Broad at Adams.

VCU performing spaces - THE RICHARD NEWDICK THEATRE - 150 to 200 seats formerly known as Shaefer Street Playhouse:

THE RAYMOND HODGES THEATRE - about 200 seats at Harrison and Park.

THE MUSIC HALL (the name of which I cannot spell, but it's middle European)

500 seats at Harrison and Park. (The 2 theatres are The Singleton Center).

THE GRACE STREET THEATRE - 250 seats on Grace near Harrison.

THE FIREHOUSE THEATRE - 100 seats - on Broad street just west of Lombardy.

FIELDEN'S CABARET THEATRE - 50 seats - at 2003 W. Broad.

VIRGINIA MUSEUM THEATRE - 500 seats in the Fine Arts Museum at The Boulevard

and Grove. (former home of Theatre Virginia but still a viable space).

THE AUDITORIUM - 200 seats in VMFA.

CARPENTER THEATRE AT THE SCIENCE MUSEUM - 100 seats on 3rd level of the

Science Museum of Virginia on Broad at Robinson.

BARKSDALE THEATRE - 220 seats in the Willow Lawn Shopping Center.

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND facilities - 600 seat JEPSON THEATRE:

CAMP MUSIC HALL - 500 seats (though it has a new name which I can't

remember)

COUSINS Blackbox Theatre Space - 150 seats.

GLEN ALLEN CULTURAL ARTS CENTER - 250 seats (est.) off Mountain Road in Glen

Allen.

THE SHRINER'S HALL - 500 seats (est.) on Hermitage Road near Bryant Park.

HENRICO THEATRE - 500 seats (est.) in Highland Springs on Nine Mile Road.

(under restoration).

That's all I can think of at the moment. But 30 venues isn't bad!

• 5 months later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy, I'm so glad you're aboard with threads like this. But like Coupe, it's doubtful the VAPAF concert hall will ever see the light of day. See if you can find fotos of The Carpenter Center, The Landmark, The Empire, The Modlin Center, VCU Hodges Theatre and Concert hall, The National, Toads Place and other venues.

Hope you don't object to my suggestions. I'm just so glad to see this thread. I started the Dining Out topic and it has grown to the second most popular thread on the Richmond forum. But, warning! It takes a lot of work!

Tommy, I'm so glad you're aboard with threads like this. But like Coupe, it's doubtful the VAPAF concert hall will ever see the light of day. See if you can find fotos of The Carpenter Center, The Landmark, The Empire, The Modlin Center, VCU Hodges Theatre and Concert hall, The National, Toads Place and other venues.

Hope you don't object to my suggestions. I'm just so glad to see this thread. I started the Dining Out topic and it has grown to the second most popular thread on the Richmond forum. But, warning! It takes a lot of work!

Thanks, Burt! I posted some new things and I plan to stay on top of updating this forum and keeping it running along with everyone else! :thumbsup:

Schedule of the Main Events of Richmond

February

WWE Wrestlemania XXI Richmond Coliseum

Richmond, VA February 21, 2006

Tuesday at 7:30 pm

March

Michael Buble Landmark Theater

Richmond, VA March 7, 2006

Tuesday at 8:00 pm

Motley Crue Richmond Coliseum

Richmond, VA March 11, 2006

Saturday at 8:00 pm

Nine Inch Nails Richmond Coliseum

Richmond, VA March 14, 2006

Tuesday at 7:30 pm

Lewis Black Landmark Theater

Richmond, VA March 19, 2006

Sunday at 8:00 pm

Harlem Globetrotters Richmond Coliseum

Richmond, VA March 26, 2006

Sunday at 3:00 pm

April

John Prine Landmark Theater

Richmond, VA April 21, 2006

Friday at 8:00 pm

May

Funai 250 Richmond Intl Raceway

Richmond, VA May 5, 2006

Friday at TBA

Chevy American Revolution 400 Richmond Intl Raceway

Richmond, VA May 6, 2006

Saturday at TBA

June

SunTrust Challenge Richmond Intl Raceway

Richmond, VA June 24, 2006

Saturday at TBA

September

Emerson Radio 250 Richmond Intl Raceway

Richmond, VA September 8, 2006

Friday at TBA

Chevy Rock & Roll 400 Richmond Intl Raceway

Richmond, VA September 9, 2006

Saturday at TBA

Excellent, Tommy. Somewhere in one of the threads coupe wrote about a big sports event coming to Brown's Island this summer. It should be included in your events because I think it will be of National importance. If you can't find it, I'm sure Coupe will add it to ur events column.

And don't forget the National Folk Festival returning to the riverfront in October.

Great work!

Richmond Region 2007

Events Planned for Richmond!

African-American Trailblazers

This made-for-television special similar to the "Kennedy Center Honors" will salute distinguished African-Americans from around the nation for their trailblazing accomplishments in the world of business, banking, civil rights, education, entertainment, medicine, politics and more.

Democracy and Diversity Forums

As Virginia and the nation celebrate Jamestown

You're getting better with every posting, Tommy! :thumbsup:

Do you want to include music, art, dance and theatre goings on? I'll help you. I think every city should be proud of its culture.

At one time, Richmond was known as "The Florence of the South", and even now is considered in the top eschelon of artistic communitees in its population category.

Hey i'm sort of confused here. What is the National Theatre really going to be? If i'm not right on this someone please correct me isn't it going to be like a concert venue and if so what types of concerts?

Yes, Joey. It and Toads Place each will be concert venues which means Richmond's music scene will offer must bigger attractions than it has at places like Alley Katz and Canal Club. Are you familiar with the 9:30 Club in D.C. and The Norva in Norfolk? Richmond's two new concert clubs will bring in the kind of acts that appear in those cities.

The Toads Place interior is being designed from scratch. The National's interior will have no theatre-type seats but will instead provide vast space for crowds to mingle, dance and do whatever youngsters do these days.

At least, that's my interpretation of the owners' intent. :lol:

I can't look for it now as I am at work but if you do find it let me know and I can move it for you. :)

Thanks, Guy. If I can find it, I'll let you know. But I can't remember where or when I posted it. Will keep looking, but have to go out for the evening now.

Here is one I found so far from looking. If this is the one let me know and I will move it.

As adamant as I have been about "The Richmond Look" (red brick), I have to say that I've always liked the look of The Coliseum. IMO, it fits. A bit gloomy, maybe, but impressive in my eye. It was designed by a noted Philadelphia architect and was considered the "best of show" among Virginia arenas opening at about the same time (SCOPE in Norfolk, The Hampton Coliseum and the Roanoke Civic Center).

The interior has recently been brightened by new seating and concourses have been enlarged.

Competitively, it seldoms sells out its generally less than stellar attractions despite the fact that it's the largest arena in Virginia until Charlottesville opens the John Paul Jones Arena very soon. Richmond Coliseum can accommodate up to 14,000 for certain events. Hampton Coliseum, at about 11,000 seats, does better box office for concerts. SCOPE suffers from poor interrior design, and Norfolk needs a new arena which I think it will get sooner than later.

Meanwhile the Richmond Coliseum compliments the Convention Center, IMO.

But I'm glad to hear about the landscaping!

Archived