Richmond Events

burt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday-Saturday, March 31st-April 1st Macabre Bazaar

Haunts of Richmond, 11 N. 18th St.-Shockoe Bottom, 2pm-11:30pm

This dark themed art show and sale will feature arts, crafts and merchandise with a haunting, spooky flair! Visitors will be able to peruse and purchase the artwork, and go through the walk-through haunted attraction that brings local ghost stories and legends to life with actors and special effects. For more information call 343-3700 or visit www.hauntsofrichmond.com. Haunts of Richmond is open from April through January and blends our area

Sunday, April 2nd Walking Tour of Shockoe Bottom

Meet at the corner of 17th & East Main Streets, $10 fee, $9 in advance, $5 for History Center members, 2-4pm

Shockoe Bottom is Richmond

I didn't know it but the French Film Festival being held in Carytown and other locations around town this weekend is actually the largest in the country!

What I have heard is that it is the only one in the country.

What I have heard is that it is the only one in the country.

I love the Charlotte Observer column posted on RCW about the French Film Festival and forwarded it to Daniel Neman, the RTD film critic. I think he was quite pleased with the story which, in short, said how jealous Charlotte was of not having it there. Dan, in an e-mail, said he has often envied Charlotte for having cultural events which Richmond doesn't.

And sadly, some of the people who post here and on the other forum would as soon see the Symphony and other cultural and sports activities leave Metro Richmond. Very shortsighted and not representative of Richmond at-large, IMO.

And sadly, some of the people who post here and on the other forum would as soon see the Symphony and other cultural and sports activities leave Metro Richmond. Very shortsighted and not representative of Richmond at-large, IMO.

No, we'd just rather not be stuck with huge tax burdens and shortfalls in education, infrastructure and the like just so the Jim Ukrops, J. Stewart Bryans and Booty Armstrongs can profit. I don't recall anyone suggesting the symphony leave town, except perhaps that VAPAF themselves, whose actions are what drove the symphony out of the city proper in the first place.

No, we'd just rather not be stuck with huge tax burdens and shortfalls in education, infrastructure and the like just so the Jim Ukrops, J. Stewart Bryans and Booty Armstrongs can profit. I don't recall anyone suggesting the symphony leave town, except perhaps that VAPAF themselves, whose actions are what drove the symphony out of the city proper in the first place.

BGW, you and I are not going to agree on this issue.

BGW, you and I are not going to agree on this issue.

I don't care to rehash it either, but please don't go labeling those who oppose the VAPAF's project as people who are trying to drive the cultural arts out of town.

I don't care to rehash it either, but please don't go labeling those who oppose the VAPAF's project as people who are trying to drive the cultural arts out of town.

Agreed. I think we would all do well not to label people generally or individually.

I've just been browsing thru some of Richmond dot com's photo galleries. Some of them are quite colorful and interesting. The Irish festival at the Farmer's Market looked like fun.

Was the St. Patrick's Broad Street celebration a success?

The RTD is full of coverage of the Monument 10K but I wish I knew how to pull up more fotos of the event. A video is offered, but I don't know how to access that - just as I don't know how to fix my clock to DST on UP! This posting is posted on my screen an hour earlier than it actually is (1:24PM).

Was the St. Patrick's Broad Street celebration a success?

Seemed to be. It was chilly and cloudy, so the crowd seemed a little down compared to last year (when it was short-sleeve weather). That said, I only caught a brief bit of it, due to a last-minute family situation, so it could have just been my timing.

Michael Paul Williams has a great column in today's RTD about last Friday's Art Walk. His header is "Making a City a Portrait of Vitality".

He says the streets were mobbed with "...a diverse palette of people...Musicians filled the streets with music...connoisseurs and the clueless crowded brightly lit galleries".

Said Jeremy Parker of Gallery 5 in the Steamer Company No. 5 building at Marshall Street and Brook Road: "Richmond is a city on the brink. It's been brewing for a few years now, and it's about to bubble over. I give it another year and we're going to be a force on the East Coast".

COMFORT, TWENTY SEVEN and lesser eateries were crammed with diners.

According to Style's Arts & Culture page (and I wish Coupe would link the story), The VCU French Film Festival attracted more than 18,000 filmgoers to the Byrd Theatre whilst another 20,000 were racing up and down Monument Avenue.

Events like these bring out of town visitors who spend big bucks in the City. That's reason enough for the Carpenter Center's reconstruction to get underway as soon as possible. With every delay, the cost rises.

According to Style's Arts & Culture page (and I wish Coupe would link the story), The VCU French Film Festival attracted more than 18,000 filmgoers to the Byrd Theatre whilst another 20,000 were racing up and down Monument Avenue.

Events like these bring out of town visitors who spend big bucks in the City. That's reason enough for the Carpenter Center's reconstruction to get underway as soon as possible. With every delay, the cost rises.

Burt, and crew. wow it really seemed to be a success by all accounts. Where I work has recieved quite a few calls just from traveling people during the Friday affairs.

I've gotten several call from folk that knew I worked on Broad but had no idea how exciting the downtown was.

Check out the Slideshow from Richmond's annual Easter on Parade on Monument Avenue!

Easter on Parade... Richmond style!

Yesterday's warm and sunny weather attracted plenty of people. An estimated 40,000 to 50,000 people and their pooches poured into Monument Avenue yesterday to enjoy street performers, crafts vendors and people-watching.

I also heard that thousands came out for festivities at both Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden and Maymont on Saturday....

Not to mention, thousands headed to Colonial Downs for Richmond's annual Strawberry Hill Races!

WOW!! Monument Avenue was thronged!

Wonder what the head count was at Strawberry Hill Races at Colonial Downs? By the way, are the pari-mutuel windows open for betting for this event?

I'm putting this under "Events", though it might also apply to New Development.

WRIR is kicking off its 2006 Pledge Drive with a floating concert. Where else but in the Canal beside Lady Bird Hat Factory.

TOAD'S PLACE plans an opening in early Fall of '06. Manager Jeff Sadler says the restaurant will be open pretty soon and the venue is booking events for the Fall and Winter. Meanwhile, he says he is excited "to bring life back to the Canal Walk. This will be the first of many out-door events this season.

"Stars above you; water right next to you. Great music...a boat ride...a special friend. All this and great access to the Interstate and about 3000 parking spaces within 3 blocks."

This WRIR pledge kick-off concert will begin at 3PM on Saturday, April 29th on a floating stage. Admission is a $10 donation.

Food and beverages will be available.

The bands are all from Richmond, except where noted:

Georgeous

The Cheap Seats

Red Anthem

The Deviltones

Octane Saints

and Las Gitanas from Charlottesville.

:yahoo:

Archived