Richmond Events

burt

I found it, Guy (took forever). It's on the Richmond Development thread, page 32, my entry dated Sept. 12 at 12:01am. It starts with "Here is my list of performance venues...."

Do you think you can move it over here? Thanks for your help.

By the way, is there a quick way to go to a page number in a popular thread?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you mean this one?

Here is my list of performance venues in Metro Richmond either existing or coming (hopefully) on line. I may mis-name some of them because endowments, etc. may have provided new titles.

I start with the central city and move outward. Seating capacities are my estimates.

THE LANDMARK THEATRE - 3500 seats - at Laurel and Main on Monroe Park.

THE CARPENTER CENTER - 2000 seats - 6th and Grace.

THE MUSIC HALL - 1200 seats on Broad between 6th and 7th (proposed).

A jazz club in the 7th & Grace Thalhimer building (proposed).

A 200 seat black box theatre space in the 7th & Grace Thalhimer building (proposed).

NATIONAL THEATRE - 1100 seats at 7th and Broad (to undergo restoration).

THE RICHMOND COLISEUIM -14,000 seats bounded by 5th, 7th, Festival Park and Leigh streets.

THE BLUES ARMORY - 6th and Marshall. A potentialy large performance facility.

TOAD'S PLACE RICHMOND - 1400 to 1500 capacity club on the Canal Walk at Virginia street.

THE POWER PLANT - on the canal at 1100 Haxall in the Richmond-on-James complex. Capacity and use not yet determined - but very large.

THE HIPPODROME - 500 seats (est.) on 2nd street between Clay and Leigh

(proposed reconstruction).

THE EMPIRE THEATRE - 600 seats on Broad between Adams and Jefferson.

THEATRE IV Blackbox - 250 seat theatre space adjacent to THE EMPIRE.

(Proposed).

THE RENNAISSANCE - capacity unknown in the turreted building on Broad at Adams.

VCU performing spaces - THE RICHARD NEWDICK THEATRE - 150 to 200 seats formerly known as Shaefer Street Playhouse:

THE RAYMOND HODGES THEATRE - about 200 seats at Harrison and Park.

THE MUSIC HALL (the name of which I cannot spell, but it's middle European)

500 seats at Harrison and Park. (The 2 theatres are The Singleton Center).

THE GRACE STREET THEATRE - 250 seats on Grace near Harrison.

THE FIREHOUSE THEATRE - 100 seats - on Broad street just west of Lombardy.

FIELDEN'S CABARET THEATRE - 50 seats - at 2003 W. Broad.

VIRGINIA MUSEUM THEATRE - 500 seats in the Fine Arts Museum at The Boulevard

and Grove. (former home of Theatre Virginia but still a viable space).

THE AUDITORIUM - 200 seats in VMFA.

CARPENTER THEATRE AT THE SCIENCE MUSEUM - 100 seats on 3rd level of the

Science Museum of Virginia on Broad at Robinson.

BARKSDALE THEATRE - 220 seats in the Willow Lawn Shopping Center.

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND facilities - 600 seat JEPSON THEATRE:

CAMP MUSIC HALL - 500 seats (though it has a new name which I can't

remember)

COUSINS Blackbox Theatre Space - 150 seats.

GLEN ALLEN CULTURAL ARTS CENTER - 250 seats (est.) off Mountain Road in Glen

Allen.

THE SHRINER'S HALL - 500 seats (est.) on Hermitage Road near Bryant Park.

HENRICO THEATRE - 500 seats (est.) in Highland Springs on Nine Mile Road.

(under restoration).

That's all I can think of at the moment. But 30 venues isn't bad!

I think I read recently that the coming months will offer lots of dance options in Richmond.

LORDS OF THE DANCE will move into The Landmark for a split-week engagement soon, followed soon after by the great Broadway musical MOVIN' OUT featuring thre choreography of famous Twyla Thorpe.

I have a friend named Frances Wessells who, at age 86, is still dancing in Richmond and, if not officially on staff, giving instruction at VCU Dance Department.

I should have used quotes. The seating capacity of the theatres and all. Well the existing ones that is.

That's interesting. Since I'm not in Richmond, I was just estimating. And I thought the info might be of interest to other out-of-towners.

And Cadeho, Ididn't mean to be ugly. But the subject to which you referred was seven items above.

Here is my list of performance venues in Metro Richmond...

Since we're talking Metro Richmond and not just in the city, I can add one more. The Paul R. Cramer Center at The Steward School seats 500 and, while primarily intended for school productions, has begun hosting a fair number of local theater companies as well as the Richmond Symphony.

Since we're talking Metro Richmond and not just in the city, I can add one more. The Paul R. Cramer Center at The Steward School seats 500 and, while primarily intended for school productions, has begun hosting a fair number of local theater companies as well as the Richmond Symphony.

BGW, I have heard that the Cramer Center is an excellent facility. Do you know where I can get further information on its facilities? Does it have a website?

I have also heard varying figures on its seating capacity. One time I read a story about some student production there that got a bit of publicity in the RTD and they said it had 3600 seats!!!! Well, of course, I knew that was off the wall, but when I e-mailed the TD reporter, he had no idea and was not inclined to check his sources. You're the first to set the figure at 500.

There's also the Oates Theatre at Collegiate School way out on River Road. When it first opened, they used to rent it out to various groups. Now, I think the rentals are limited to the Jewish Forums.

Also, there is (or was) a playhouse on the St. Catherine's School campus called McVey Hall. I wonder if it's still there?

BGW, I have heard that the Cramer Center is an excellent facility. Do you know where I can get further information on its facilities? Does it have a website?

It does indeed: Cramer Center information. It's quite a facility, especially for a K-12 school.

I have also heard varying figures on its seating capacity. One time I read a story about some student production there that got a bit of publicity in the RTD and they said it had 3600 seats!!!! Well, of course, I knew that was off the wall, but when I e-mailed the TD reporter, he had no idea and was not inclined to check his sources. You're the first to set the figure at 500.
Oh, it's definitely 500. They can actually fit a few more in (maybe 50) for certain productions with temporary seating over the lowered orchestra pit, but that's a rarity.

Also, there is (or was) a playhouse on the St. Catherine's School campus called McVey Hall. I wonder if it's still there?

It's still there, but I've no idea if it's used for any external functions.

WOW! What a neat Arts Complex for K-12 and beyond. I wish there were more fotos of the theatre and support areas on the Cramer website. How many dressing rooms? Is there a scene shop, loading dock, etc?

For all its adaptability, it would not seem to be over-used judging by its performance callendar; only 5 events between 2/24 and 4/7 and all school related.

Thanks BGW. :good:

WOW! What a neat Arts Complex for K-12 and beyond. I wish there were more fotos of the theatre and support areas on the Cramer website.

I'll see what I can do ;)

How many dressing rooms? Is there a scene shop, loading dock, etc?
2 dressing rooms (the adjacent Black Box theater occasionally becomes a 3rd dressing room), a fully-functioning scene shop with loading dock, a large costume/prop collection, the whole deal.

For all its adaptability, it would not seem to be over-used judging by its performance callendar; only 5 events between 2/24 and 4/7 and all school related.

That particular calendar only shows school/school-run events. I know the Richmond Symphony Youth Orchestra has a public performance there in a couple weeks and Richmond CYT will perform "Pocahontas" at the end of March. It's only in the last year/year-and-a-half that they've really started to lease it out.

Also, BGW, a big multi-juristictional student production of GREASE will go up during the summer at Cramer Center. I think it's under the auspices of Theatre IV.

If it's in for a long run, that particular show would not suffer from double casting. They might even bring in well known local actors/personalities in adult roles for a night or two to spice up box office sales. The latest Broadway run did just that.

I just read in the TD's Sunday Theatre/Dance callendar that its run will cover 11 days in July.

I liked perusing Hopewell's Beacon Theatre website provided by coupe. Quite a bit has been done to public spaces at the lobby end of the building. There's also a neat foto of the theatre itself in one of the threads of the website. It needs a lot of work, but could become a jewel. Maybe work has been going on since the site was posted. :unsure::thumbsup:

the theatre itself should be completely restored by year's end... :)

Did you get this info from the website, or do you have an inside source? :)

I noticed that their callendar of events (mostly wedding receptions) goes right up to 2007 and doesn't mention any theatre offerings.

Archived