Richmond Events

burt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2006 Virginia Motor Trend International Auto Show

13logo.gif

From March 10-12, hundreds of cars will be on display at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. This is usually an extremely popular event with tens of thousands of attendees. I can't remember if Tommy included it already.

No, I don't see anything about it here. But if it were, I think it's a good idea to remind us, because items get buried and we forget about them.

Here is my list of performance venues in Metro Richmond either existing or coming (hopefully) on line. I may mis-name some of them because endowments, etc. may have provided new titles.

I start with the central city and move outward. Seating capacities are my estimates.

THE LANDMARK THEATRE - 3500 seats - at Laurel and Main on Monroe Park.

THE CARPENTER CENTER - 2000 seats - 6th and Grace.

THE MUSIC HALL - 1200 seats on Broad between 6th and 7th (proposed).

A jazz club in the 7th & Grace Thalhimer building (proposed).

A 200 seat black box theatre space in the 7th & Grace Thalhimer building (proposed).

NATIONAL THEATRE - 1100 seats at 7th and Broad (to undergo restoration).

THE RICHMOND COLISEUIM -14,000 seats bounded by 5th, 7th, Festival Park and Leigh streets.

THE BLUES ARMORY - 6th and Marshall. A potentialy large performance facility.

TOAD'S PLACE RICHMOND - 1400 to 1500 capacity club on the Canal Walk at Virginia street.

THE POWER PLANT - on the canal at 1100 Haxall in the Richmond-on-James complex. Capacity and use not yet determined - but very large.

THE HIPPODROME - 500 seats (est.) on 2nd street between Clay and Leigh

(proposed reconstruction).

THE EMPIRE THEATRE - 600 seats on Broad between Adams and Jefferson.

THEATRE IV Blackbox - 250 seat theatre space adjacent to THE EMPIRE.

(Proposed).

THE RENNAISSANCE - capacity unknown in the turreted building on Broad at Adams.

VCU performing spaces - THE RICHARD NEWDICK THEATRE - 150 to 200 seats formerly known as Shaefer Street Playhouse:

THE RAYMOND HODGES THEATRE - about 200 seats at Harrison and Park.

THE MUSIC HALL (the name of which I cannot spell, but it's middle European)

500 seats at Harrison and Park. (The 2 theatres are The Singleton Center).

THE GRACE STREET THEATRE - 250 seats on Grace near Harrison.

THE FIREHOUSE THEATRE - 100 seats - on Broad street just west of Lombardy.

FIELDEN'S CABARET THEATRE - 50 seats - at 2003 W. Broad.

VIRGINIA MUSEUM THEATRE - 500 seats in the Fine Arts Museum at The Boulevard

and Grove. (former home of Theatre Virginia but still a viable space).

THE AUDITORIUM - 200 seats in VMFA.

CARPENTER THEATRE AT THE SCIENCE MUSEUM - 100 seats on 3rd level of the

Science Museum of Virginia on Broad at Robinson.

BARKSDALE THEATRE - 220 seats in the Willow Lawn Shopping Center.

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND facilities - 600 seat JEPSON THEATRE:

CAMP MUSIC HALL - 500 seats (though it has a new name which I can't

remember)

COUSINS Blackbox Theatre Space - 150 seats.

GLEN ALLEN CULTURAL ARTS CENTER - 250 seats (est.) off Mountain Road in Glen

Allen.

THE SHRINER'S HALL - 500 seats (est.) on Hermitage Road near Bryant Park.

HENRICO THEATRE - 500 seats (est.) in Highland Springs on Nine Mile Road.

(under restoration).

That's all I can think of at the moment. But 30 venues isn't bad!

Hey All

Thanks Burt for the Listing

I'm the Chef/ Operations guy at the Renaissance Conference Center

Capacity Varies Plated 300, Cocktails 600, Built in 1894, Was Virginia's Masonic Headquarter until Cabinus of Cabo's Fame ;) rehabed in late early 90's. Victorian interior. current Renovation was 4 years ago

Hey All

Thanks Burt for the Listing

I'm the Chef/ Operations guy at the Renaissance Conference Center

Capacity Varies Plated 300, Cocktails 600, Built in 1894, Was Virginia's Masonic Headquarter until Cabinus of Cabo's Fame ;) rehabed in late early 90's. Victorian interior. current Renovation was 4 years ago

Welcome to the forum Jon. :thumbsup:

Jon. Glad you noticed I included The Renaissance in my listing of halls. One of my nephews had his wedding reception there a couple of years ago, and the party was a great success.

I believe the Richmond Symphony has used the space for a few of its Kicked Back Classic concerts. Has it ever been adapted to theatrical use?

Since the area includes The Empire and its Black Box space across the street from you, and with new residents moving into renovated Furniture Stores and the Emrick Chevrolet triangular building, and with new restaurants popping up all around (COMFORT, TWENTY SEVEN and the upcoming POPKINS), I would say you are in a hot location.

LISTEN UP FOLKS!!

Tomorrow, March 3rd, is First Friday Gallery Crawl along West Broad (near The Renaissance Hall) as well as across the James at Plant Zero. If the weather is good, get out and enjoy the conviviality.

Also on tap this weekend are two Richmond Symphony concerts - a Masterworks program and one of their popular Kicked Back Classics concerts.

The Masterworks programs move around so much due to temporary closure of The Carpenter Center that I cannot tell you where they are, but I'm pretty sure the Kicked Back concert will be at The Science Museum of Virginia in the old Union Railway Station at 2500 West Broad.

LORDS OF THE DANCE, the Irish step dancing spectacle is at The Landmark Theatre thru Sunday.

The Grace Street Theatre hosts VCU Dance students and faculty with invited guest dancers for three nights. The theatre is in the 900 block of West Grace Street.

And don't forget the CAA Basketball Tournament at Richmond Coliseum (the finals will be televised live Monday night on ESPN).

Why not get out and support the static and live arts as well as sports in Richmond this weekend?

Jon. Glad you noticed I included The Renaissance in my listing of halls. One of my nephews had his wedding reception there a couple of years ago, and the party was a great success.

I believe the Richmond Symphony has used the space for a few of its Kicked Back Classic concerts. Has it ever been adapted to theatrical use?

Since the area includes The Empire and its Black Box space across the street from you, and with new residents moving into renovated Furniture Stores and the Emrick Chevrolet triangular building, and with new restaurants popping up all around (COMFORT, TWENTY SEVEN and the upcoming POPKINS), I would say you are in a hot location.

And Jon, I think Cabinis is the guy who did the cosmetic restoration of the Empire Theatre back in the late 1960s or early '70s. Major reconstruction followed when Bruce Miller and Phil Whiteway of Theatre IV bought it.

05fest.gif

Thanks for the link, Coupe

And since this is not a link, let's not fail to remind our readers that the French Film Festival, featuring actors, directors, writers and producers live on stage introducing and discussing their new French films will be at the Byrd Theatre in Carytown. :)

Bigger cities than Richmond would be thrilled to host this annual event. Vive La France et Vive le Universite de VCU! - and pardon my inaccurate French!

Sorry about that not linking, I tried to do it so you could click on the picture and would direct link it, but I guess it didnt work. Thanks for the info, Burt :thumbsup:

USHRA Thunder Nationals Monster Truck Show

March 17th-19th

The Richmond Coliseum

8:00 PM Thunder Nationals Monster Truck Racing- on the 17th and 18th

2:00 PM Thunder Nationals Monster Truck Racing- on the 19th

French Film Festival

05fest.gif

There ya go. it should work now if you click the picture.

Thanks for the info Burt. And the Comments from the Wedding. We've been there going in our 6th year. So if ya had a great time / affair twas me and the crew. We live it for sure.

The only drawbacks we hear are parking and security. We met with parking officials today to try and work something out but it seems status quo is fine with most.

thanks Coupe for the comment on the building, we're pretty happy with it

Burt ? did'nt you say youre in NYC ?? How are you keeping up with this stuff??

I did'nt realize that the Triangle was the old Emerick Chevy. It really should be nice when complete. Kormans Apts are pretty nice. Popkins should be nicer, They are plowing $$ to the exterior brick and we hear the Tag for the Restaurant may be 2 LArge ! wow !

Sorry Burt Catching up

Adapting to Theater or theatrical ?

We host quite a few Concerts during a year

Symphony seemed happy with sound with no equipment to manage for sound

Kicked back went well then they moved to the Center

movie crews have used us several time when needed, Iron jaw and Va lottery have used us but no Drama productions as holding our facility over long periods would be costly. But we're always open to new ventures ...

Jon, I've been a Richmond junkie since pre-teens. For some reason, I just got my fix on dreams about what my old home town could be even though half my life has been spent in New York, Los Angeles and elsewhere.

And the sad thing is that until my return to Richmond at age 20 after a year and half of military service, I always considered Richmond to be an ugly town. I had no idea, compared to other places, the City was the beauty that it is and always has been. Despite my total fascination from childhood with everything about Richmond, I was a late-bloomer in appreciating its beauty. :)

The Virginia Motor Trend International Auto Show has over 300 cars on display at The Greater Richmond Convention Center between Marshall, 3rd, Leigh and 5th streets. The show runs thru Sunday March 12th.

Would you like a Lamborghni Gallardo Spyder? Or how about a Ferrari 575 Maranello for a mere $275,000? Or perhaps you're in a modest mood and will settle for a 3-wheel Treo. They're all there in the 180,000 square foot exhibition hall. :thumbsup:

Yeah, Im headin over there too. I have friends from NC comin' up for the show, weve been goin for the past three years. Amazing cars :w00t: Mini Cooper is still a personal favorite, even with all those fancy shmancy cars out there :D

Tommy, was there a big turn out for The Auto Show?

The Richmond Coliseum is joining the Nation-wide "cutdown" practice of reducing capacity for certain musical attractions.

Instead of playing to 13,000 seats, the hall will be "cutdown" to 6000 for the Nine Inch Nails show tonight. At present, a 45 foot black drop turns the space into more of a theatre arrangement by pushing the stage forward and making fewer seats available.

The Patriot Center at Coupe's school has the proper 85 to 100 foot black curtian necesssary to properly reduce size as will the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville. Richmond Coliseum is looking for a sponsor to install the much larger curtain, since smaller venues are more in demand than in the past.

But just you wait 'til TOADS PLACE and THE NATIONAL open!

Archived