Brookside/Glascock St.

livinDT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching this development go up as well. It's a small mixed use of retail below and condos above - looks like less than 10 condos from the rendering. I called the phone number posted on the sign and spoke with the developer - hoping to get condo pricing - about two weeks ago. He said the condos were in the process of being priced and that he would email me when they were complete. I'll post if and when he emails me. I also put a plug in for a take-out chinese restaurant and he said they were looking at some businesses like this.

There are some great little homes over that way across from Mordecai. That area does have a bit of potential with its relation to Oakwood and Peace College. I think the Blount Street project could really make this area along Person an up and coming area.

This intersection may be closer to St. Augs than it is to Peace College. The corner used to have a barber shop and other businesses until it burned down in the mid-late 90s. It does seem like they have been taking their time with this... i drive by it sometimes cutting through from Capitol to my house. Oakwood Park is being considered to be a dog park, so it could have have something to support that -- dog groomer/botique, etc. Or maybe a coffee shop for the humans they bring with them. The closest retail is the Circus burger/gas station on wake forest, and the north person area, which is a good half mile away.

Blount street will be nice, but this is project/location is just far enough away from it.

This intersection may be closer to St. Augs than it is to Peace College. The corner used to have a barber shop and other businesses until it burned down in the mid-late 90s. It does seem like they have been taking their time with this... i drive by it sometimes cutting through from Capitol to my house. Oakwood Park is being considered to be a dog park, so it could have have something to support that -- dog groomer/botique, etc. Or maybe a coffee shop for the humans they bring with them. The closest retail is the Circus burger/gas station on wake forest, and the north person area, which is a good half mile away.

Blount street will be nice, but this is project/location is just far enough away from it.

It is a different area, but I feel it will have a bleeding effect on the area. Just as Glenwood South, Boylan Heights and the Warehouse district have some direct benefits from any proposals and/or construction in those areas, I feel that Oakwood, Blount Street and Mordecai have the potential to have the same type of positive revitalization.

The dog park is a go. A woman in the neighborhood has a yahoo list that provides updates on the status. She posted yesterday

"Word on construction from Parks Planner David Shouse:

Purchase orders both fence and concrete are being submitted this

week, but it could 3 to 5 wks before work starts."

I think the dogpark will really help this development and could make a coffee shop, cafe, or combo work there. My thinking being that the dog-park will make Oakwood park more of a destination. I could be wrong on this - anyone out there know what the traffic is like at the other dog parks in Raleigh?

The dog park is a go. A woman in the neighborhood has a yahoo list that provides updates on the status. She posted yesterday

"Word on construction from Parks Planner David Shouse:

Purchase orders both fence and concrete are being submitted this

week, but it could 3 to 5 wks before work starts."

I think the dogpark will really help this development and could make a coffee shop, cafe, or combo work there. My thinking being that the dog-park will make Oakwood park more of a destination. I could be wrong on this - anyone out there know what the traffic is like at the other dog parks in Raleigh?

Do you have the link to that yahoo list?

I would have to agree with your thoughts about the dog park really being a positive factor in the development of the area.

The Dog Park will be great for the community. I always see people walking or jogging with their dogs in the morning and afternoon on Glascock. It seems to be a very active doggie area!

I just wish the buidling that is going up at the corner of Glascock and Brookside would actually start taking more shape. There doesn't seem to be any progress at all on the structure!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE TO BROOKSIDE/GLASCOCK MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT.

I got sick and tired of wondering whether the rumors were accurate or not so I called the developer.

Here's what I heard:

1. In the one story section, a Community Grocery Store is planned. It is similar in scale and product range to a Harris Teeter Express. Also, it will have a deli counter with a separate entrance.

2. An neighbor has plans to open an Internet-type Cafe at the other end of the block with openings overlooking the park. Outdoor seating is planned both on the parking lot side as well as the Park side.

3. Two offices are also possibilities but the developer implied that nothing was cast in stone. He stated they could be a Real Estate Office and a Nutritional Consulting buisiness. An Antique Store is also a possibility. All this was very loose talk.

4. Residential Units will all be two bedrooms with about 1200 sq. ft. of space. The corner unit over the park is slightly larger and a third office/bedroom could be a possibility.

5. Delays of late have been a result of material selections, particularly in the choice of a high-quality brick for the facades.

6. A new sign with additional information is planned for posting on site in the next week

I rode by here over the weekend and it doesn't look any different than it did weeks ago. Whatever the commercial equivalent to home wrap on the outside, dividing walls between units but no store front walls.

My camera isn't doing any good sitting at home, but I'm not in the take it with me habit yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It seems the next to last line in the April 25th N&O story on this project was a tad optimistic:

He anticipates the first stores, including the grocery, will open this summer, with the entire project being completed by the end of the year.

At the rate they were going in April, they could have opened *this* summer. With the change of seasons a month a way, and no windows installed as of last weekend, summer will be over before anything opens there.

I know. I've noticed there's not much going on there- Is it me, or are a lot projects in Raleigh just super slow-going? Is it government bureaucracy? Or financial issues on the part of the developer? Another nearby project that comes to mind is the Person Stret Plaza--I heard about that proposed redevelopment 2 1/2 years ago and did hear that something was supposed to roll this past spring since they cut down all of those trees at the apts. across from Peace's softball field (but the mini mart there is closed, so maybe that's an early sign).

• 3 months later...

I haven't been by the site lately, but it still seems to be stalled. Anygody heard anything new?

I drive by it almost every day and the site has been completely still in that scary, someone ran out of money sort of way. Some glass is in, most window frames, some interior sheetrock etc., buts thats it for the last two months or so.

I drive by it almost every day and the site has been completely still in that scary, someone ran out of money sort of way. Some glass is in, most window frames, some interior sheetrock etc., buts thats it for the last two months or so.

Some workers on site this morning, putting in sheetrock before the building is dried in. For those of you who are not builders and architects: this is not the best idea. This encourages the propagation of mold if the building shell is then completed before the walls can dry out. In this environment, nothing ever FULLY dries out.

This guy does NOT know what he's doing. Period. Its become a huge eyesore. Worse than the grassy field that was there before construction began.

All__

I think it is important that the neighborhood does what it can to communicate to the owner what an unsightly burden this unfinished project is. Steve Fitzpatrick of Genford (the developer) can be contacted at 422.1749.

Through the City of Raleigh Inspections Department, citizens can lodge a complaints regarding unsafe and unsigtly practices in New Construction.

I spoke with an individual yesterday and made these few points:

1. The construction site is not secured (i.e. fenced off) providing access by any and allowing for injury to children or others who get too curious.

2. The sidewalk remains unfinished on Brookside and closed off along Glascock preventing safe pedestrian travel.

3. With the lag in construction, its an eyesore.

If others are equally concerned as I am, I recommend calling 516.2500 and lodging similar complaints. I am not sure a single complaint by one individual will stir the City enough to cite the Owner/Developer, so I would appreciate any effort to help by others.

Drove by the site myself this morning and there were two workers installing sheetrock while the building remains half-open. Agreed, this place is becoming an eyesore. I hope the Owner had a failure to prosecute the work in a timely manner clause with the Contractor, because no doubt it would apply (unless it's the owner who's been the problem).

Who knows how it'll end up looking, but this would have been a nice little corner shop spot for that outer oakwood neighborhoood.

Archived