Minnesota Twins stadium

Snowguy716

The idea for a new Twins stadium was brought up 11 years ago, only 13 years after the completion of their current stadium, the Metrodome.

Many Minnesotans want 0% public funding for the stadium. As it stands, the most recent deal would raise the sales tax by 0.15% in Hennepin county to pay the public portion of the stadium. I find this fair, because if I'm really that against paying for the stadium, I can leave the county to shop. The rest would be funded by the team, owner, and other sources. No state funding would be involved and Carl Pohlad wouldn't be able to sell the team right after the stadium was completed. I think this is a fair deal, but I don't know that the old geezers in other parts of Minnesota will buy the deal. They're still pissed about Met. Stadium being ripped down for a giant mall... but with it comes perks. Ikea, which sits on the former site, offers cheap swedish meatballs.. something all Minnesotans can appreciate.

What do you think about this? Should the public be responsible for a portion of the bill? How much? How much should the team pay for? The owner?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a tough cookie. Baseball parks are very expensive and building one with tax money could be a bust (as it has been in the past). It would be ideal for the Twins to build it themselves, but that would be highly unlikely. The city should give them some money, but I doubt it will be anything that can even put a dent in towards the building budget. Minnesota is in a soft spot right now and in my opinion you guys will have to let either your NFL franchise or MLB franchise go to accomodate the one you want to keep, since the Vikings need new digs too. If it was up to me I'd choose to keep the vikings over the Twins.

That's a tough cookie. Baseball parks are very expensive and building one with tax money could be a bust (as it has been in the past).

I don't see the newest proposal as being a bust because the stadium won't be surrounded by a sea of parking lots. Instead, there will be a mixed-use neighborhood, with housing, offices, restaurants, bars and stores. It will be similar to the LoDo district in downtown Denver.

The city should give them some money, but I doubt it will be anything that can even put a dent in towards the building budget. Minnesota is in a soft spot right now and in my opinion you guys will have to let either your NFL franchise or MLB franchise go to accomodate the one you want to keep, since the Vikings need new digs too. If it was up to me I'd choose to keep the vikings over the Twins.

Our elected officials need to stop stalling. The people who voted them in had confindence that they would make right decisions for the city and its taxpayers. Therefore, there's no reason to have the people vote over and over again for these stadiums. Either help build a descent place for these teams to play in or watch them leave.

If it was up to me I'd choose to keep the vikings over the Twins.

Most would agree with you but, the Vikes have been an embarrassment year after year. I'm surprised people in the TC area and throughout Minnesota still want to support them. At least the Twins have won 2 World Series titles and have been somewhat competetive throughout the years whereas the Vikes tend to let their fans down by off-field stupidity, choking during the playoffs, or dropping a bomb in all four of their Super Bowls.

Are they back to this again? It doesn't seem that long ago the Twins threatened to move to Greensboro, NC to get a better deal from the local taxpayers. I thought the threats had worked as the team ended up staying in Minneapolis.

Yeah I remember team officials saying they never intended to leave the TC area. The claim was that they were just listening to an offer that was put forth. Yeah right.

Wonder if I would be able to throw together a render with the Nicollet in that last picture..

Or if someone who doesn't suck wants to that would be great too.

"Or if someone who doesn't suck wants to that would be great too."

What does that mean?

We really are blessed with a beautiful skyline.

• 1 month later...

Pretty impressive renderings.

I notice that this is very idealized. It includes the Northstar commuter rail, the Hiawatha line (seems to be extended, or am I seeing it wrong?) and the Southwest corridor LRT.

It would definitely be an improvement to downtown, however.

Archived