Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CanesFan98

Newark Arena

I don't know much about the new arena apart from the fact it will be in downtown Newark and have an extension of the Newark City Subway to serve it.

Newark city press release with more info: Newark Breaks Ground on Devils Arena - Oct 3, 2005

From the NJ Devils website, City Unveils Model of Newark/Devils Arena. Click on ""View the Arena Unveiling Photo Gallery" link underneath the first set of photos.

arena5.jpg

I don't know much about the new arena apart from the fact it will be in downtown Newark and have an extension of the Newark City Subway to serve it.

Newark city press release with more info: Newark Breaks Ground on Devils Arena - Oct 3, 2005

From the NJ Devils website, City Unveils Model of Newark/Devils Arena. Click on ""View the Arena Unveiling Photo Gallery" link underneath the first set of photos.

arena5.jpg

Man that's great news for Newark. That is a beautiful arena. I hope this all works out as my family is from Newark, E. Orange, and Montclair. Now if we could only get our plan together and get a team up here everything would be great.

Man that's great news for Newark. That is a beautiful arena. I hope this all works out as my family is from Newark, E. Orange, and Montclair. Now if we could only get our plan together and get a team up here everything would be great.

Will it be near Penn Station?

Will it be near Penn Station?

Yeah, the arena will be on Lafayette Street between Mulberry and Broad Streets, or about 3 blocks from Penn Station.

Not to be off topic but i have bene hearing about the Xanadu project that it is just about killed, does anyone else know whats going with that? If this project does get killed, perhaps it could encourage Newark to host additional venues.

Xanadu isn't killed. It's limping, but not off the table. But there will be a problem with having two big arenas in NNJ (Newark Arena and Continental Airlines Arena) with only one professional sports team that can use an arena. With the Nets moving to Brooklyn after 2010 we'll have too much arena space in NNJ.

Here are some pictures of the progress on the new downtown arena. Pics taken 10/30/06.

289904144_bf424a0b2f_o.jpg

289904147_83e3632f64_o.jpg

289904148_6ecdfb2c9f_o.jpg

289904150_d6b4b22085_o.jpg

289904157_02ffbd618b_o.jpg

289909813_3a8cb7283d_o.jpg

289904162_de76446b40_o.jpg

289909815_4c6c207046_o.jpg

289909817_361bd0f6ec_o.jpg

289909820_51ce1042ed_o.jpg

The signage along Broad Street......tacky, tasteless and trashy. Hopefully it will be cleaned up one day; these old buildings deserve better.

289909821_a302f94ba9_o.jpg

289909823_de42a101f5_o.jpg

Skyline shot

289912075_9fdbfc6dd0_b.jpg

I'm inclined to agree. Broad Street has this rough-around-the-edges, hard-working, "real people" beat to it, and I think that signage partly represents that. It's part of what makes Newark NOT Hoboken or NOT the East Village.

Newark, especially downtown reminds me of areas of Brooklyn. High density, but with sort of a ramshackle look , the embodiment of the living, breathing urban district whose identity is changing rapidly. There seems to be very few (none that I could see in these photos?) empty storefronts.

To each his own. But I stand by my opinion...the signage, the boarded up windows, all make this area look seedy and run down. Newark needs an image change, and these storefronts are reinforcing the negative stereotypes of the city.

At least they can clean up the tops of the buildings. Geez.....

To each his own. But I stand by my opinion...the signage, the boarded up windows, all make this area look seedy and run down. Newark needs an image change, and these storefronts are reinforcing the negative stereotypes of the city.

Anyone have new pics or been inside yet? I'm trying to schedule a trip up to see a game sometime in Nov. Although I'll miss the Meadowlands with all the memories, I'm looking forward to the Devs having a new home and being part of a city. (and lets hope for a good season, Atlantic division is going to be pretty competitive this year.....)

Great pic, JerseyBoy! You can see portions of the arena between downtown buildings from the Morris-Essex rail line. It looks good. I saw a story in AM New York about security concerns because the arena is very close to the street. I think it said they'll have to put concrete barricades on Mulberry Street and Edison Pl. Can't wait to see crowds gathering for games!