Detroit Zoo to Close?!

Jonzo

Is the Detroit metro area considering a "wildlife park"? They seem to be the latest rage, and tend to be a bit more humane to animals, and a lot more exciting, than a traditional zoo.

That could (might still) have worked here in GR, where there are huge tracts of Twp open space only five miles from downtown. The Detroit Zoo is actually in Royal Oak, at the northwest corner of 10 Mile/I-696 and Woodward.

http://terranode-180.cs.fiu.edu/launch/ter...k&state=mi&zip=

HTH

--Veloise

still has a DZ talking storybook key

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*please forgive my tone, i'm just getting fed up with watching everything I love about my home fading.

When you care so much, you tend to get overemotional. I know I have and I am still fuming. Especially with the racist comment. I'm seriously not sure how much longer I can sanely stand to put up with this anymore. And we in Michigan scratch our heads as to why we're suffering from a "brain-drain". Anyone with a lick of dignity and common sense recognizes the pitiful ways of our polarized differences, that they just can not do this. I set my standards above that mentality, but they are quickly being knocked down.

The Detroit Zoo is actually in Royal Oak, at the northwest corner of 10 Mile/I-696 and Woodward.

http://terranode-180.cs.fiu.edu/launch/ter...k&state=mi&zip=

HTH

--Veloise

still has a DZ talking storybook key

Yes, I've been to the "Royal Oak" Zoo a few times (probably everyone in Michigan has at one time or another). I personally think zoos and cities don't mix. They're usually walled-off compounds (for obvious reasons). The only urban zoo that I think works well that I've seen is Lincoln Park Zoo.

I'll stay away from the racial discussion...

When you care so much, you tend to get overemotional. I know I have and I am still fuming. Especially with the racist comment. I'm seriously not sure how much longer I can sanely stand to put up with this anymore. And we in Michigan scratch our heads as to why we're suffering from a "brain-drain". Anyone with a lick of dignity and common sense recognizes the pitiful ways of our polarized differences, that they just can not do this. I set my standards above that mentality, but they are quickly being knocked down.

This isn't directed at you, but people really need to start making it down to council that are offended by these comments, and remind them, if with only you presence, that they represent you, as well. These comments are allowed to be made, because they don't go unpunished. No speaks up to people like Collins and says with conviction "You represent ALL of Detroit, including me." It's the silence that makes these comments easier and easier to say. And this goes for any racial quote coming from anybody be it a Detroiter or Livonian. The truth is, many Black Detroiter's that don't necessarily agree with that statement (and there are a lot) don't see anyone getting offended, so they are more able to let it go and forget about it. Until we see White Detroiters, and Chaldean Detroiters, and Mexican Detroiters, making this an issue, the likes Collins and Watson will keep getting elected, and will continue to make those comments. Sometimes, it is silence and seeming indifference that reinforces those types of comments, be it 1950's segregated Southern America, or 2006 Segregated Metropolitan Detroit. She's a bully (and a pretty dumb one, at that, from what I've heard), and someone needs to stand up to her.

If you all would like, here is Ms. Collin's city email address. Give her a piece of your mind, that is, if she even knows how to use a computer (lol), but actually, it goes to a contact in her office:

[email protected]

And, on the actual issue as a whole, you can write other city council members:

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/legislative/Ci...cil/Default.htm

Although I graduated HS more than 10 years ago....and really don't keep up with anyone I went to HS with....I can not think of anyone from my class that still lives in Michigan.

Really....it is not like this anywhere else.....

All we ever here about down in FL is "we are growing too fast" and "there are not enough people to fill all of the jobs"

Gov't seems to work....it has to....there are too many people down here (population was equal to MI in 1970, is now double)

The schools are not great, but they are getting better (and considering even in Orange Co 40% of the population speaks another language, can not be easy being a teacher)

Cities can work...just not Detroit.....as the right people will never be elected there.

I don't want to turn this into something nasty, but apart from its weather, Florida is really nothing to brag about. Actually, despite the growth (or maybe even because of it), it ranks right up there with Michigan in terms of dysfunctionality. A nice place to visit, I'd assume, but I definitely wouldn't want to live there. It reminds me of Nevada...with a beach, and that's not saying much. I'm really only saying all of this because you are perpetually negative towards the state, even when it doesn't deserve (even if it deserves it, here). :)

I don't agree, that the right people can never be elected in Detroit. I thought Dennis Archer, did a great job, in fact, during his administration in the 90's Detroits population decline slowed dramatically, When Kwame took over, and started having raves at the mayors mansion, the Decline picked up at a rapid rate. Perhaps I'm misinformed.

huh? I think you are. What type of "decline" are you talking about, exactly? Archer is definitely a lot more professional and experienced than Kilpatrick. Are you talking moral decline? You can't be talking physical, becauase even apart from the things that Archer put in place that Kilpatrick is reaping the benefits of, the greater downtown is seeing more private and public investment than it's seen in quite some years.

I don't agree, that the right people can never be elected in Detroit. I thought Dennis Archer, did a great job, in fact, during his administration in the 90's Detroits population decline slowed dramatically, When Kwame took over, and started having raves at the mayors mansion, the Decline picked up at a rapid rate. Perhaps I'm misinformed.

I guess you have to ask yourself, was Archer the "exception" or the "rule"....his terms was sandwiched in-between Coleman Young and Kwame.....

Is Detroit only going to have 1 good leader every 20-30 years?

I don't want to turn this into something nasty, but apart from its weather, Florida is really nothing to brag about. Actually, despite the growth (or maybe even because of it), it ranks right up there with Michigan in terms of dysfunctionality. A nice place to visit, I'd assume, but I definitely wouldn't want to live there. It reminds me of Nevada...with a beach, and that's not saying much. I'm really only saying all of this because you are perpetually negative towards the state, even when it doesn't deserve (even if it deserves it, here). :)

It sounds like you may have a hard time with reality.

So...what is so fantastic about the current state of Michigan.....I would just love to know.

It sounds like you're here to stir up nothing but trouble. You've made it your job to be an antagonist and bully, here, and you're going to get called on it. I'm sure there is more than enough activity on the Florida subforum, here, to occupy your time. Why are you so obssessed with Michigan, anyway? Since there is so much good going on down in sunny Florida, I can't imagine why you'd be over here in the Metro Detroit forum, in the first place. That is, unless you get off on picking fights, and drawing the negative out of people.

You offer very little to these discussions besides a bad attitude, and a spiteful spirit. You're a distraction, and one I think we can all agree we'd rather not have to bother with.

It sounds like you're here to stir up nothing but trouble. You've made it your job to be an antagonist and bully, here, and you're going to get called on it. I'm sure there is more than enough activity on the Florida subforum, here, to occupy your time. Why are you so obssessed with Michigan, anyway? Since there is so much good going on down in sunny Florida, I can't imagine why you'd be over here in the Metro Detroit forum, in the first place. That is, unless you get off on picking fights, and drawing the negative out of people.

You offer very little to these discussions besides a bad attitude, and a spiteful spirit. You're a distraction, and one I think we can all agree we'd rather not have to bother with.

I would love to see good things happen in Detroit. I would love to see Detroit become a world class city......like it once was. A few good things have happened in Detroit, but just like I remember from 20+ years of living in the Metro area, it is always one step forward, two steps back. It is the blame game between the leaders of Detroit and the suburbs. It is racist attitudes that are only in people's minds. It is a bunch of crap....overall. So again.....some good things have happened, but as much as good things are happening, situations like the zoo, are always going to happen. I would love to see the day that the city has good leadership in both the Mayoral and Council positions.....but I honestly think I will see the Lions win the Super Bowl first.

So, I will continue posting here, and I ask that if you don't care to read what I say, please put me on "ignore".

--------------

Oh, and to answer your question about Florida. Even though I live here, it is not "home" to me.....it never will be. It is funny....very few people are from FL, and if you ask anyone where home is, the answer is always something like "Manhatten, but I live in MetroWest" or something of the like.

One quite ironic thing is that after the Tigers won the 1984 World Series, there was talk for YEARS about moving them to the Tampa Area...what is now called Tropicana Field was built for the Tigers originally......but luckily the deal fell through.....unfortunately, the Devil Rays will be moving out of Tampa soon....as FL residents always root for their "home team"

Also....FL is not without problems....the problem I see is major overbuilding right now......people don't have a lot of faith in the stock exchange, so they are investing here in real estate.....FL used to be a bargain, but home prices have grown 45%+ each year the last 3 years. Also, there are 12or more condo towers planned for just downtown Orlando.....which is probably WAY too many.....if the bottom ever drops from this market, there are going to be a lot of people out a lot of money.

------------

And feel free to join us in the Orlando forum.....your POV will always be welcome

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showforum=122

The zoo deal

Key elements of a plan to rescue the Detroit Zoo:

The private nonprofit Detroit Zoological Society would manage the zoo for 15 years. The city retains ownership of the zoo. All 150 city employees become employees of the Zoological Society.

The deal saves Detroit $5.2 million a year in zoo operating funds. But the city agrees to pay $900,000 per year for two years for security guards and insurance at the zoo.

The city must give $10 million in capital improvement tax dollars to the Zoological Society by July. That money does not affect the city's general fund or deficit but could have been used for city improvement projects.

The deal hinges on a $4 million grant from Michigan to pay for zoo operations this year. The city lost that money when it missed a Saturday deadline to turn over the zoo management to the Zoological Society, but state legislators are working to reinstate the funding.

Would it not be better for the city to sell the zoo to the society, and be off the hook for any future payments. Although this may not be very popular with some residents in the city (pride or something) it would get rid of the liability, and over time, the zoo would not have its future tied to the cities finances.

Although the society may not have the cash for this now, perhaps the state could offer a loan of sorts.....or, the society has previously been successful with fundraising...perhaps that could work.

Well I guess the Detroit Zoo will be saved. Congrats to CC for finally doing something after all of the bickering and the racist comments. I am so glad this is finally over. I am just worried that the Zoological Society won't manage it well enough.

Detroit Council Approves Zoo Rescue Plan

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/603010426

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NEWS99/60301006

Patterson is a decent leader...for his constituents. He would be a horrible Detroit mayor. He's never had to be on the other side of the fence, and deal with the issues the central city has had to do with. I think we would then see how "good" his leadership would be. He gets FAR too much credit from some, IMO. Oakland County has run itself, and only in recent decades has it become relatively self-sustaining. Before that, it was prospering off of the decline of the central city.

Archived