Boylan/Hillsborough/Glenwood area project rumors

wfdude

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the deal killer is the Boylan Heights home owners, I'm sure they wouldn't like a new Thorough fare going right by their (relatively) quiet area.

I live in Boylan Heights and most of the people I know would welcome any new traffic patterns that would decrease the amount of rush hour traffic going north-south on Boylan Ave. Most of the residents would like to see Boylan Ave go to all stop signs and get rid of the timed stop lights that just encourage people to speed so they can make it through the next light. That won't happen until another north-south connector is built between Western Blvd and Hillsborough St. As it is now, Boylan Ave serves as the only n-s connector for emergency vehicles, which means the city has to maintain the stoplights.

I have heard talk of the city eventually extending Glenwood over the train tracks to the south, but it sounded like a pipe dream. Maybe if the Warehouse Dist, Depot Dist, and the Convention Center district all continue to grow then they might consider doing this.

The other plans that I have seen involve continuing Blair Dr from Centennial Pkwy, thru Dorothea Dix, where it would cross Western Blvd and continue north-west between the state prison and the school for the blind, it would then connect with Morgan St at Charlie Goodnights. That is probably more likely than the Glenwood scenario.

BTW, if Andrew Leager wants to open by May-June on his "Sidetrack Brewpub," he better get moving. I walked over there recently and it looked no different than it did last fall and certainly not close to those renderings on boylanheights.org.

I'm really looking forward to this place opening. It will be 2 blocks from my place and offer a superb view of DT.

BTW, if Andrew Leager wants to open by May-June on his "Sidetrack Brewpub," he better get moving. I walked over there recently and it looked no different than it did last fall and certainly not close to those renderings on boylanheights.org.

I'm really looking forward to this place opening. It will be 2 blocks from my place and offer a superb view of DT.

I've been thinking the same thing. I was walking by there last night with friends on the way to Hibernian and made the remark that it will be warming up soon and it will sure be nice to sit outside with a beer. I wonder if he has run into problems getting permitting for the food service aspect of the pub. It sure doesn't look like they have started doing any construction work. My guess is it will be late summer before it's open. Which is a shame, because a place like that really needs to take advantage of it's outdoor seating. There really aren't enough good outdoor eating/drinking spots in downtown.

Really? Not many good outdoor eating spots? I'll have to disagree with you there, however, I don't think you can have too much of a good thing, so I'm all for having more of them.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several bars and restaurants that offer outdoor seating:

Flying Saucer

White Collar Crime

Nana's

Woodys

Napper Tandy's

Blue Martini

Red Room

Armadillo Grill

Helios

Hard Times Cafe

Moonlight Pizza

Southend Brewery

Mellow Mushroom

MoJoes

Humble Pie

Really? Not many good outdoor eating spots? I'll have to disagree with you there, however, I don't think you can have too much of a good thing, so I'm all for having more of them.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several bars and restaurants that offer outdoor seating:

Flying Saucer

White Collar Crime

Nana's

Woodys

Napper Tandy's

Blue Martini

Red Room

Armadillo Grill

Helios

Hard Times Cafe

Moonlight Pizza

Southend Brewery

Mellow Mushroom

MoJoes

Humble Pie

You'll notice I said "There really aren't enough good outdoor eating/drinking spots in downtown." Thank God for the ones we do have. I just wish there were more. Most of those have only started popping up in the last few years. You would think with the great year-round weather that we have around here that there would be more. Thankfully restaurateurs and bar owners are starting to recognize that these types of places are in demand. Most new places that open in the downtown area have outdoor seating.

Don't forget the old-school original spot for outdoor seating......Sadlacks. :D

• 2 months later...
However, there will be another project announced in the coming months that will challenge the architectural status quo in downtown raleigh - it will be Quorum sized in height, and provide a density, if approved, that will cause the planning commission to gasp.
I'm curious - are you just making a prediction, or is this statement based on a project that we don't know about (or has drastically changed of late) that you've heard about through the grapevine?

N&O reports that Raleigh's planning director will be looking into changing Building Codes in the DT area. This is to keep up with current trends. The most exciting thing from the article is:

Alterations could help groups such as TME Investments and Boulevard Centro. The partners want to build residences above shops at the southwest corner of Hillsborough Street and Glenwood Avenue -- considered one of the city's prime development sites.

However, there will be another project announced in the coming months that will challenge the architectural status quo in downtown raleigh - it will be Quorum sized in height, and provide a density, if approved, that will cause the planning commission to gasp.
There is an article in the N&O today (already linked in another thread) that mentions a project at the corner of Hillsborough and Glenwood. I'm assuming this is what you're speaking of?

Building Rules May Loosen

"Raleigh is ripe for an off-the-charts, modern, contemporary, cool high-rise that has units that are relatively small by conventional standards and more affordable," said David Furman, principal of Boulevard Centro, a Charlotte design and development firm.

The partnership may be faced with offering the units at a high price -- perhaps too high for the market to bear, considering the number of other pricey projects in the pipeline. Or building nothing.

"If those are our two options, then we'll stay in Charlotte," Furman said.

^That quote right there hurts. I really hope they can get these archaic rules changed, pronto.

Wow, it's exciting to hear about a project by a developer with a track record like Furman and Boulevard Centro. This may be the project that dwntwnraleigh alluded to in this post.

As someone in the Charlotte forum stated (dubone, I believe), Furman has a history of setting an attainable goal, ending up with reasonably priced units that sell well, and then moving on to the next project. He's the one who got the ball rolling in Charlotte with Courtside; hopefully the planning commission will listen. And lordy, what a location! This is right on top of the future TTA station (don't know how far in the future, but I'm still certain it will get built - eventually). I wonder if they would go for the address '2 South Glenwood', or '601 Hillsborough'?

The folks who think the Reynolds tower at 301 Hillsborough will be out-of-place will disagree, but I think this is a great place for something large. 20, even 30 stories... I say bring it on!

I wonder how ChiefJoJo feels about this, since he lives right across the street.

The folks who think the Reynolds tower at 301 Hillsborough will be out-of-place will disagree, but I think this is a great place for something large. 20, even 30 stories... I say bring it on!

I wonder how ChiefJoJo feels about this, since he lives right across the street.

Here's the site. It's across from Snoopy's hotdogs. I looked on the Wake Co iMap GIS page and it appears that Centro is looking to put together 4 small parcels that are bordered by Hillsbrough, Glenwood, and Morgan St.

I like the idea of a project there, but wow, 20+ stories??? If that's the case, I'm a bit shocked. I figured the area would be developed sooner or later, but 20+ stories seems a bit out of character to me. That's my first reaction. On the other hand, it is within spitting distance of the TTA DT station, so density should be encouraged, and it's only 0.75 acres according to the article. Actually, I like that proximity to transit was mentioned in the article, as it should be WAY up on the list of density bonuses. Hmm... I think as long as it has plenty of amenities, lots of on street retail, and appealing architecture, I'll support it. It can only enhance the area. Heck, my bldg has 12 units on ~0.4 acres.

I did get a bit scared that it might be on the SE corner (the little sign shop)--that would block my beautiful DT skyline view!!!

I think the changes mentioned for the codes is definitely a positive step. I say bring on a 20+ story tower. Let's face it, this part of the city is hot with Glenwood South and Cameron Village so close. That is why it is attracting so much interest. I say let them build up. The gap will close in time between here and Fayetteville Street.

dwntwnraleigh did say it would be in the Quorum height range - so around 15 or so stories. I think that would be awesome for that area. That end of downtown is going to be awesome once the Reynolds' towers fill it in. Here's hoping this gets done!

Soon we'll get to see a phenomenon perhaps unique to Raleigh: 'free market' conservatives talking about the dangers of relaxing density laws.

Our zoning laws are in many ways responsible for the high unit prices, lack of architectural diversity, and misplaced projects like the Soleil Center.

I did get a bit scared that it might be on the SE corner (the little sign shop)--that would block my beautiful DT skyline view!!!

I've always thought it would be cool to have some build-over above the tracks on that lot... but that will be such an expensive proposition that it won't happen for quite a while yet.

In the same neighborhood, I hope that Edenton and Morgan are converted to two-way traffic, so the Edenton-Hillsborough connector can be removed. It makes an entire block of otherwise prime real estate unbuildable.

interesting location. I actually stare at this property from my bathroom window. I always thought that someday someone will come in there and build some dense residential. I figured the guy is sitting on the surface lots until a reasonable offer came along to buy them up. I assume the hairdresser and chiropractor would get first dibs on the retail street level. this should help real-estate in this area even more. great news.

I'd crap my pants if they did something like Trademark. Please please get these zoning laws changed.
Thanks Charlotte,NC for leading the way for bigger and better things everybody can afford in downtown Raleigh,NC, these out of date zoning laws should have been changed, this is that LEADERSHIP! void in this city that i always talk about on this forum because it's their, watch how the city drags it feet on this thing, just watch people. :angry:

I actually talked with a person in Furman's firm. He said the prospects of them really developing in Raleigh are growing pretty slim.

The zoning was an issue, but they said in reality there is not as much downtown employment as Charlotte and they are real spooked about being able to find enough pre-sales.

And I have to agree. I find it so silly that Raleigh is fighting development when they are starting with a big disadvantage. The truth is we do not have a huge population of downtown white collar jobs that would flock to high rise opportunitites.

Archived