Boylan/Hillsborough/Glenwood area project rumors

wfdude

The Boulevard Centro/TME Investments project at Hillsborough and Glenwood is still a possibility.

I hope so! I live across the street, and think that is a perfect site (near TTA) for something urban (grd flr retail), dense (100+ units/ac) and tall (10+ stories) and maybe semi-affordable too. I am sort of assuming you have a connection to TME, so if you ever need any public support at CAC's or anything, let me know via PM. I'm sure my HOA would be supportive of a quality development on that site.

FYI: Blvd Centro's website... I really like their portfolio... design, vision, etc :thumbsup:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Boulevard Company and Boulevard Centro are 2 different companies. The Boulevard Centro/TME Investments project at Hillsborough and Glenwood is still a possibility.

Good point!

Never put two and two together (or, in this case, pulled one and one apart)... but re-reading the article, it seems that there were two distinct plans in play for the area. Boulevard Co.'s scrapped project was at Hillsborough & Boylan, while Boulevard Centro's plan is at Hillsborough & Glenwood. It's more than a bit confusing, though - were these projects going to be on the same block? Or was Boulevard Co going to build on the west side of Boylan?

Both companies are based in Charlotte. I myself live in a complex developed by Boulevard Centro. Ya'll will be glad to know that the architect/owner of Boulevard Centro is a graduate of the NC State School of Design.

But in Charlotte to keep the companies from being confused we refered to The Boulevard Company simply as "Boulevard" and Boulevard Centro we refer simply as "BLVD Centro" Ya'll might find those helpful for future reference.

O,

Both developments are in fact proposed for the same block bounded by Hillsborough, Glenwood, Morgan, and Boylan--Blvd Co (who has pulled out) on the west side near Boylan, and Blvd Centro on the east side near Glenwood. Very confusing! I think that entire block is ripe for redevelopment... is very near TTA DTR station, has some great skyline views, and would fill in the gap between Glenwood South and the Boylan/Hillsborough area (towards Bloomsbury Estates).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No details that I've heard. Just that Blvd Centro has looked at the property and has interest in developing it into retail and condos. It's a perfect spot for redevelopment... basically nondescript small offices and lots of surface parking, it's between GlenSo and Depot district, is near future TTA station, and it offers great views of DT. Blvd Centro wanted to see new density requirements in place (they are now--click here) to make the project cost-effective since the property would be expensive to purchase--lots of units = cheaper, smaller units that can be absorbed into the market more easily given demand is very high for those type of units. I would guess Blvd Centro/TME is looking at whether to pursue the project at this point. I hope they do as they have a very good track record of building unique and affordable urban projects.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^ I'm really excited about the prospects for that site. It's going to be very near the planned Multimodal Transportation Center (which will likely have access from an extended Glenwood Ave bridge over the RR), and the TTA DTR station, and have some of the best views in the city of the Raleigh skyline. It's close to NCSU & Cameron Village, blocks from Glenwood South and the Warehouse district, and a 10-15 min walk to Fayetteville St. On top of that, the city altered it's density rules to allow for more flexible unit arrangements and hopefully better prices. The only concern is that the market may be saturated with all the new projects coming online near the same time.

C_harmons, keep the updates coming!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I noticed yesterday that Tao's facade (was it cheesy sheet metal?) has been stripped away, revealing the cool, retro, 1950's service station building underneath...I think it looks nifty, and would make a cool restaurant (there is a pizza place in an old service station in uptown Charlotte). also noticed the American Cancer Society sign has been taken down from their old building at Morgan and Boylan, and some state offices have taken up (presumably temporary?) residence...

this kind of architecture will be rare and historically significant someday, if it isn't already. (imagine the 22nd century, when there are no more gas stations...) Any chance the service station will be saved?

• 3 months later...
I noticed yesterday that Tao's facade (was it cheesy sheet metal?) has been stripped away, revealing the cool, retro, 1950's service station building underneath...I think it looks nifty, and would make a cool restaurant (there is a pizza place in an old service station in uptown Charlotte). also noticed the American Cancer Society sign has been taken down from their old building at Morgan and Boylan, and some state offices have taken up (presumably temporary?) residence...

• 2 months later...

BTW, I heard from an engineer friend of mine that a developer is working on the design of a new 16-story condo building where the old Tao Auto is now. The Boulevard Company bought the property in recent years, but held off due to other priorities. It is possible that they could have other development interests with purchase options on the site.

Again, this is not to be confused with One Glenwood on the eastern end of the same block.

Archived