I love Philadelphia thread

*Sweetkisses*

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love all the universities in the metro, the Penn campus is fantastic, I love the history of the city in many many ways its the "better boston" on these two counts. :)

As a weststater I love the taxbase you guys (regionally) provide to the rest of us as well . . . thats why as a black and goldster we can get away with saying "Goooo Philly", economically of course :)

I love the cheesesteaks and the fights at the famous Pat & Genos establishment area along Passyunk Street. No fights, theres always police there but whenever i see a fight, theres no police :shok:

I love I-95 because you can go 80mph and still theres someone going faster than you.

I love Ritas Ice Cream

I love Fairmount Park

I love City Ave

I love Roosevelt Blvd (at 2am, not 2pm)

I love Independance Hall

I love how its an hour and 10 minutes away

I love how its toll free to get there

I've got alot that I love about philly.

1. I like the Hard Rock Cafe

2. King of Prussia Mall

3. Independence Hall

4. I like who there is so much life on the streets

5. I like all of the mixture of new and old buildings that you all have I've always said One Liberty Place will always be my favorite building.

6. I love going on I-676 through downtown and going on the Ben Franklin Bridge into New Jersey.

7. I love Pats & Genos that place is the greatest.

8. I like the old houses that are in philly

9. I like the roads in philly alot.

10. I love going to see Phillies and Flyers Games.

There's a lot of stuff I hate about Phila (lack of diversity, lack of subway and commuter train coverage, lack of Caribbeans or Caribbean reataurants, etc.), but what I like about it is Fairmount Park, the Art Museum area, Love Park, South Street, Geno's, Tony Luke's, Jim's, Wawa, Belmont Plateau, the Action News theme, and the fact that it's strip clubs are on par with Atlanta's (Nite on Broadway, Club Moet, Rum Keg, etc. )and the city itself is at least better than Boston ;) .

Philadelphia has some diversity but just not at a large scale like New York.

I think Philadelphia is fine on the diversity count. I prefer that it would be more diverse but, compared to the vast majority of America, it is pretty diverse. I'm not referring to jsut the Black population either. I jsut got back from Washington Ave. and the level of Vietnamese stores and restaurants there that have opened in the *past few months* is pretty amazing. Then there's the whole Ethiopian scene in West Philly, the Russians in the NE, the Koreantowns along Cheltenham Ave., 5th Street, and in Upper Darby, the Indian area in Millbourne, the Brazilian area in NE Philly, the Cambodian area near Oregon Ave. in South Philly, the Puerto Rican area on 5th Street, the Mexicans in South Philly, etc., etc. Philadelphai ahs the diversity, you just have to look for it. Its not as apparent as it is in NYC and in some other major cities, but its there.

One thing about living on the East Coast is expecting all major cities to be like NYC, DC, or New Jersey but in reality most of America is pretty White with Blacks in the urban areas. Philadelphia is actually pretty diverse in comparison.

Hello Philadelphia Forumers,

I will be in your fine city this weekend and am interested in taking pictures of major construction projects and posting them here on UP. I will be staying near Walnut and 12th St. Could any of you give me an idea of where I could find major construction projects Downtown?

I think Philadelphia is fine on the diversity count. I prefer that it would be more diverse but, compared to the vast majority of America, it is pretty diverse. I'm not referring to jsut the Black population either. I jsut got back from Washington Ave. and the level of Vietnamese stores and restaurants there that have opened in the *past few months* is pretty amazing. Then there's the whole Ethiopian scene in West Philly, the Russians in the NE, the Koreantowns along Cheltenham Ave., 5th Street, and in Upper Darby, the Indian area in Millbourne, the Brazilian area in NE Philly, the Cambodian area near Oregon Ave. in South Philly, the Puerto Rican area on 5th Street, the Mexicans in South Philly, etc., etc. Philadelphai ahs the diversity, you just have to look for it. Its not as apparent as it is in NYC and in some other major cities, but its there.

One thing about living on the East Coast is expecting all major cities to be like NYC, DC, or New Jersey but in reality most of America is pretty White with Blacks in the urban areas. Philadelphia is actually pretty diverse in comparison.

I don't expect Phila to be like freakin' DC, but I do expect it to compete with NYC and Boston in all areas (diversity, business, economy, transportation, recreation, affordability, even sports ;) ). I still think that Phila needs to work on becoming more diverse, even though there's some ethnic spots. What really gets me is that there's not a major Caribbean (not Hispanic) presence in this city. You have some restaurants on South St, Broad and Olney, and 52nd St, but it doesn't pale in comparison to NYC and Boston, or even Hartford and East Orange for that matter. It's pitiful when I think of that. I think we have a lot of Asians coming into this city and we can work on getting more Hispanics (Dominicans and Colombians, specifically) to Phila. Most of the PR's, even though it's slightly growing, are moving out either to the island or to FL. The reason why I stated more Dominicans and Colombians is because I want the Hispanic community to be more diverse than what it is right now.

I don't expect Phila to be like freakin' DC, but I do expect it to compete with NYC and Boston in all areas (diversity, business, economy, transportation, recreation, affordability, even sports ;) ). I still think that Phila needs to work on becoming more diverse, even though there's some ethnic spots. What really gets me is that there's not a major Caribbean (not Hispanic) presence in this city. You have some restaurants on South St, Broad and Olney, and 52nd St, but it doesn't pale in comparison to NYC and Boston, or even Hartford and East Orange for that matter. It's pitiful when I think of that. I think we have a lot of Asians coming into this city and we can work on getting more Hispanics (Dominicans and Colombians, specifically) to Phila. Most of the PR's, even though it's slightly growing, are moving out either to the island or to FL. The reason why I stated more Dominicans and Colombians is because I want the Hispanic community to be more diverse than what it is right now.

Compared to DC I think Philadelphia is very diverse with many ethnic neighborhoods offering a very eclectic mix of sights, sounds and tastes. DC on the other hand really does not have much ethnic diversity. Mostly there are just three races in this city Black, White and Hispanic (mostly El Salvadoran, Honduran and a smattering of Mexican).

One of the things that I love about Philly that makes it a great place is its ethnic diversity. Not only does Philly have Carribeans, Dominicans, and Hispanics, they have Italian, Greek, Irish, and black enclaves as well. On the Diversity front Philly is well covered believe me.

I don't expect Phila to be like freakin' DC, but I do expect it to compete with NYC and Boston in all areas (diversity, business, economy, transportation, recreation, affordability, even sports ;)

When was New York ever affordable? Hell, many New Yorkers are calling Philadelphia home and commute to NYC because Phila is that much cheaper and the city life is still there! A lot of gentrification is taking place in the southside of town below center city.

Phila does not have an extensive city-wide subway system so no way you can compare that to NYC.

Philly should keep concentrating on being the "anti-NY" . . . it has done wonders in luring many companies, institutions and commuters from the apple who yearn for something different!

I will be in your fine city this weekend and am interested in taking pictures of major construction projects and posting them here on UP. I will be staying near Walnut and 12th St. Could any of you give me an idea of where I could find major construction projects Downtown?

The good news is that center city Philly is a fantastic walkable city, the bad news the construction sites are scattered all over center city. Hope you are in good shape.

Broad(14th)+ Pine(Symphony House)

Broad(14th) +South(1352 Lofts)

12th+ Locust(Western Union Condos)

11th+Locust(Thomas jefferson Univ expansion)

15th + Chestnut(Residence at Ritz Carlton)

17th+ JFK (Comcast)

18th+Walnut(10 Rittenhouse)

21st +Market (Murano)

23rd + Market(23)

23rd+race(Edgewater) Take a walk along Schulkill River park here, it runs up to the Art Museum.

22nd + Arch (2200 Lofts)

34th + Chestnut (Domus)

34th +Convention Center Blvd(Center for Advanced Medicine)

Marina View(Columbus Blvd.+ Race) Along the Delaware River)

Waterfront Square(Columbus BLVD + Spring Garden)

Check out the area behind the Art Museum, there is a cool recreation path that will be swamped with people if the warm weather holds out. It runs all the way from Center City to Valley Forge.

Hope you have a good time in Philly. For lunch Grab a bite to eat and enjoy beautiful Rittenhouse Square(18th + Walnut)

The good news is that center city Philly is a fantastic walkable city, the bad news the construction sites are scattered all over center city. Hope you are in good shape.

17th+ JFK (Comcast)

21st +Market (Murano)

23rd + Market(23)

23rd+race(Edgewater) Take a walk along Schulkill River park here, it runs up to the Art Museum.

22nd + Arch (2200 Lofts)

34th + Chestnut (Domus)

Check out the area behind the Art Museum if you get the chance, there is a cool recreation path that will be swamped with people if the warm weather holds out. It runs all the way from Center City to Valley Forge.

Hope you have a good time in Philly. For lunch Grab a bite to eat around beautiful Rittenhouse Square(18th + Walnut)

17th+ JFK (Comcast)

21st +Market (Murano)

23rd + Market(23)

22nd + Arch (2200 Lofts)

34th + Chestnut (Domus)

Check out the area behind the Art Museum if you get the chance, there is a cool recreation path that will be swamped with people if the warm weather holds out. It runs all the way from Center City to Valley Forge.

Hope you have a good time in Philly. For lunch Grab a bite to eat around beautiful Rittenhouse Square(18th + Walnut)

Thanks for the information, I really enjoyed myself this weekend in Philly. I am not much of a flower or plant person, but I enjoyed the flower show still the same. I was able to take some pictures which I will post in one of the Philly discussion threads. I look forward to visiting very soon!

Compared to DC I think Philadelphia is very diverse with many ethnic neighborhoods offering a very eclectic mix of sights, sounds and tastes. DC on the other hand really does not have much ethnic diversity. Mostly there are just three races in this city Black, White and Hispanic (mostly El Salvadoran, Honduran and a smattering of Mexican).

One of the things that I love about Philly that makes it a great place is its ethnic diversity. Not only does Philly have Carribeans, Dominicans, and Hispanics, they have Italian, Greek, Irish, and black enclaves as well. On the Diversity front Philly is well covered believe me.

the DC metro area is actually considerably more diverse than the philly area. DC and Philly are opposite, where most of the diversity in Philly is in the city and in Washington, it is mostly in the suburbs.

DC has very large East Asian, South Asian, African and Arab communities and a decent Hispanic community.

However, Philly has a much larger Italian, Polish, Jewish, Irish (i.e. ethnic white) population.

As far as African-Americans, both cities have large black populations.

BillHouseman, welcome to the forum, hope you like it here!

As far as the diversity question, I think you have a point though I would point out that it is one thing to have metro stats on paper, but another to have the kind of rich ethnic communities that Philly (as well as Pittsburgh and NYC and Baltimore to a lesser extent) displays. I am sure that DC has some of the same amentities (if you wanted to get great Thai or Italian) but the type of "Little Italy" or generations deep German, Irish, Chinese communities just don't exist with DC that I have seen.

Who gives a crap about diversity...all races have good looking women!!

As far as the diversity question, I think you have a point though I would point out that it is one thing to have metro stats on paper, but another to have the kind of rich ethnic communities that Philly (as well as Pittsburgh and NYC and Baltimore to a lesser extent) displays. I am sure that DC has some of the same amentities (if you wanted to get great Thai or Italian) but the type of "Little Italy" or generations deep German, Irish, Chinese communities just don't exist with DC that I have seen.

DC is more of a goverment center than a cosmopolitan center. In other words, everybody wants to work there and it attracts everybody from different parts of the world as well as in America. Phila jus tnever established themselves after the 18th century and that's why you see a lot of Italians, Irish, and Polish but very little West Indians and Hispanics.

DC is more of a goverment center than a cosmopolitan center. In other words, everybody wants to work there and it attracts everybody from different parts of the world as well as in America. Phila jus tnever established themselves after the 18th century and that's why you see a lot of Italians, Irish, and Polish but very little West Indians and Hispanics.

Actually, I think alot of it has to do with how relatively new most of the DC area is. They really grew for a mid- to small sized metro area in the early 20th century to a major metropolis today. Since they were small, they missed out on much of the late 19th century immigration from Europe and the early 20th century Black migration from the South (DC itself is majority Black but the metro area as a whole isn't). Thus, they attracted alot of immigrants to service the new needs of the new metropolis.

By contrast, Philadelphia grew mostly in the late 19th and early 20th centuries - it attracted many immigrants from Europe and Black migrants from the South. then growth levelled off and, as a result, many of the jobs out there are adequately filled by the present population.

In any event, it bears to note that DC itself is not particularly diverse. Its mostly a Black and White city. As a city, Philadelphia is more diverse. What makes the DC area diverse is the diversity of the population in the suburban areas. By contrast, the suburbs around Philadelphia are mostly White.

Very true DC really does not have ethnic enclaves like NY, Philly, and Baltimore. As for cuisine DC has passable Thai or Italian restaurants, we really do not have the authentic ethnic restaurants that you see in NYC, Philly or Baltimore. Philadelphia strikes me as a very diverse and lively city. This why when I need to get away from DC and go to a real city with real people doing real things I love to go to Philadelphia.

^^Well said Skyline,

As far as the hispanic population, Philadelphia from what I have seen has a pretty good core, nothing like NYC or Chi or some of the border metros but a nice mix I think.

Archived