Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DruidCity

Professional sports in Alabama

Tuscaloosa is getting its first minor-league team in something called the "World Basketball Association."

The team name will be "Dragons."

What other current and future pro sports teams (however minor) do we have statewide ?

Didn't BHam have a minor league hockey time at one time???? They should give it a go again!!!! LOL!!!

I went to a Huntsville Stars game last year and had a good time. It rained like crazy, but I loved the city and it was a great place to watch a game. I recently read the stadium will receive $1 million for repairs and improvements.

I'm still hoping that the Alabama Steeldogs (formerly the Birmingham Steeldogs) will be upgraded to the AFL league from the AFL2 when the BJCC is finally expanded. It is a shame that our arena football team is stuck in the farm-system league of the AFL when we are comparable in size to AFL franchise cities like Grand Rapids, Oklahoma City, and Austin.

Is there a significant difference in terms of attendance for AFL vs. AF2? I think the Steeldogs average like 6,000-7,000 per game last year. Just curious how much the attendance factors into the equation... or whether it's media market size or what.