Carson Pierre Scott

Nitro

My wife and I were in Chicago this weekend and had a chance to get out a do a little shopping before catching the train back to Michigan.

Walked down State St. to Marshall Field's and was very impressed. Walked back up Wabash to Carson Pierre Scott, one of my favorite Sullivan buildings, and was about mortified with the place.

The interior looks beat up and very tired. What is the deal? It's like they don't care anymore.

What a dissapointment.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I were in Chicago this weekend and had a chance to get out a do a little shopping before catching the train back to Michigan.

Walked down State St. to Marshall Field's and was very impressed. Walked back up Wabash to Carson Pierre Scott, one of my favorite Sullivan buildings, and was about mortified with the place.

The interior looks beat up and very tired. What is the deal? It's like they don't care anymore.

What a dissapointment.

Realy?

I've never been inside past the round vestibule, but the building's exterior ironwork is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

I was there back in December and I agree. Carson's has always been on my to-go list when in town. The store had absolutely no energy about it whatsoever. I hope that Bon-Ton introduces some major changes to that store. It really reminded me of the Kaufmann's in downtown Pittsburgh - just there because.

The service there was good though - even better than at Field's this last time.

I think that Carson's has been under pretty bad management in the past - at least once Proffitt's bought it. Proffitt's was okay at running a mall-based department store but they just didn't really have the talent to pull off a flagship - especially one the size of Carson's.

I am not sure that BonTon has the needed talent either but maybe - just maybe they can pull some talent from Field's as it becomes macy's. Carson's has the opportunity to now become the hometown store and if they don't aggressively jump on that then they'll be doomed. JMO

I think that Carson's has been under pretty bad management in the past - at least once Proffitt's bought it. Proffitt's was okay at running a mall-based department store but they just didn't really have the talent to pull off a flagship - especially one the size of Carson's.

I am not sure that BonTon has the needed talent either but maybe - just maybe they can pull some talent from Field's as it becomes macy's. Carson's has the opportunity to now become the hometown store and if they don't aggressively jump on that then they'll be doomed. JMO

True. Several years back Proffitt's (actually they were already Saks Inc) did a mini facelift to the Carson's flagship, but put in the same wall covering, flooring, fixtures, etc. as they had been putting in all the McRae's, Proffitt's, Younkers, Herberger's, etc. They did nothing special. Always found that sad as this flagship is a beautiful building and should compete head on with the Chicago flagship for Macy's (Marshall Field's). Still hurts to call it Macy's. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wonder if Carson's will see an uptick in sales once the Marshall Field's nameplate is officially gone? If expected, does bon-Ton realize the chance they have to make a mark on Chicago and change Carson's placement in the retail food-chain? It really makes you wonder because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Carson's to become a major player - especially on State Street.

• 3 weeks later...

Bon-Ton has been mum overall about their progress, but the overall numbers seem to be good from published reports.

Who's to say Bon Ton won't close State Street Carson's because of the cost needed to compete with Macy's grand scale upgrade, advertising and publicity.

Who's to say Bon Ton won't close State Street Carson's because of the cost needed to compete with Macy's grand scale upgrade, advertising and publicity.

Bon Ton announced today that the Carson's on State St. is closing in March 2007. :( The first and second floors will remain retail and all other floors office space.

:sick:Carson Pirie Scott?! Let me guess...Starbuck's, a Kinko's and other inconsequential retail....This building should have its character preserved at all cost. I fear what the renovations will bring. I suppose the exterior can't be touched, but what's left of the interior?

• 1 year later...

The transformation continues on the Carson's department store building on State with the announcement of two new tenants. Fox and Obel and Flat Top Grill. Fox and Obel must feel that budding residential in the Loop and the daytime office crowd will make it a success. State Street has been seen as the step child to Michigan Ave., but it looks like Freed is trying to bring it up a notch with this development, and the Block 37 development just north of this location.

The transformation continues on the Carson's department store building on State with the announcement of two new tenants. Fox and Obel and Flat Top Grill. Fox and Obel must feel that budding residential in the Loop and the daytime office crowd will make it a success. State Street was has been seen as the step child to Michigan Ave., but it looks like Freed is trying to bring it up a notch with this development, and the Block 37 development just north of this location.

Archived