Sears at Hickory Hollow To Close ?

fieldmarshaldj

I just heard this rumor from a family member in the past half-hour. If this is true, this will be the 2nd of the 4 Department stores closing up shop at the troubled Hickory Hollow Mall. Sears was one of the 3 original anchors of the mall (along with the now-defunct department stores Cain-Sloan and Castner-Knott) when it was completed in 1978. My ex-fiancee worked at this store in recent years and observed the chronic problems it faced, so it is not a terrible shock, but it's going to be very hard (if not impossible) to make up for the loss of it and J.C. Penney's.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i work at the electronic express inside the mall and i'll keep my ears open. we're actually wanting to leave the mall too. we'd love to get the old toys r us building. and about that shooting, while it was bad, i still feel safe inside the mall. the people you really have to look out for is the mall manager. she told my manager that he needed to learn how to use his inside voice while we were in the food court quietly having a conversation. we were like "well maybe if she would focus on people shooting instead of talking there would be more people coming to the mall." i really hope that sears doesn't move out. they've been there since i can remember.

Guess everyone heard about the lack of water in the food court today. A water main break caused the food court to go without water today. What did the restaurants do......close? No. They stayed OPEN even though clean running water was not anywhere to be found in the mall. Needless to say, the Health Department is about to get sideways with the restaurants and the mall. This will be entertaining.

What shooting are you talking about? I missed that one :huh:

Some idiot fired into a group of people outside the mall and wounded one person I believe. The moron then ran through the mall so all the security cameras could get him on tape. I could be off on the details. The story I heard was just after it happened so the reporting might not have been acurate.

Guess everyone heard about the lack of water in the food court today. A water main break caused the food court to go without water today. What did the restaurants do......close? No. They stayed OPEN even though clean running water was not anywhere to be found in the mall. Needless to say, the Health Department is about to get sideways with the restaurants and the mall. This will be entertaining.

oh yes, it was just great. our water at the store was out for about an hour. we were told that they were fixing the sprinkler system. then we found out the truth. and i have no idea what they did at the food court today. i went up to get some stuff for my manager but didn't buy anything because i knew nobody had water. you couldn't even get cokes there. i don't see the mall being open much longer. i think it's cursed. haha.

The Older mid-ring suburbs in this country seem to be having problems. The nation seems to be 'picking sides' in a way. More and more older malls and commercial areas in the first suburbs are dying, while retail is either moving back into the city with those who want diverse walkable neighborhoods, or even FURTHER out into suburbia with the people that feel that they, for whatever reason, need to live even further out.

The Older mid-ring suburbs in this country seem to be having problems. The nation seems to be 'picking sides' in a way. More and more older malls and commercial areas in the first suburbs are dying, while retail is either moving back into the city with those who want diverse walkable neighborhoods, or even FURTHER out into suburbia with the people that feel that they, for whatever reason, need to live even further out.

Well, yes and no. Neighborhoods like Crieve Hall, Green Hills, Forest Hills, etc are doing great. They need to do something with Hickory Hollow Mall though. It had its heyday. Now it's a snoozer. :wacko:

I think this could help 100 Oaks, Hickory Hollow, Rivergate, and Bellvue. They all seem to be on their way out. Here are a couple of photos I took of Winter Park Village. It is interesting that this use to be the mall. I do not think it is the greatest looking place and could offer a greater a mix of uses. It seems like the businesses are the one that were in the mall and I never could tell if residential was on the second floor.

I have always wanted to go down and see Eastgate Town Center in Chattanooga, but never have. (Hankster Do you have photos of Eastgate?). I assume they did it.

winterpark1.jpg

winterpark2.jpg

Archived