How to fight the Brain Drain

blueblackcat

• 1 month later...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving the students out of the transient Oakland scene is critical if we want to retain some of these people for a few years or perhaps on and off through out their life. The problem is that if you look at the recommended housing for these students you come across Oakland.

My neighborhood in the Mexican War Streets is a perfect fit for the graduate because the neighborhood houses many people from outside the state. The mainstream graduate can not shake Oakland, Squirrel Hill and Shady Side. There is a proposal which eliminates bus 500 which moves people from Oakland to my neighborhood.

So I guess in answer to the original posters question I would work with the university to publish housing for grad students (very young undergrads should stay close to school) There is a much better chance that the student will stay in Pittsburgh if he has a pathway to one of our stable neighborhoods and if he is encouraged to come by the school.

The schools may not have much interest in serving Pittsburgh by reducing the brain drain -- not sure how good of neighbors the universities are.

Brad

Archived