New Signage on its way

PBJ

I saw driving home today a bunch of new freeway signs hanging out in some open space just south of 44th street on the east side of 131 (by the concrete place and LEON plastics). Looks like way finding stuff as the one sign I saw (out of many) was a "Devos Place" sign... Wonder where it's all going..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its about time, that will explain the footings and frame work thats been put up on 131 south/north of 28th

that makes some sense, but thats a long way away to advertise "Look the Devos Place is coming!" then again its not that long of a drive to DT from 28th on 131.

I think this is long overdue. I can pass the eye exam for my liscense without my glasses, but I have a really hard time reading any type of sign at night. But they should have gone for a more dramatic increase to justify all the money it will require to change all those signs.

I wonder if they will make signs so that people stop calling I-196 "I-96". :rofl: That drives me batty when I hear that. Do people understand they are two different freeways?

I want to sit these people down and give them a quick lesson they should have gotten in grade school:

"I" stands for Interstate, meaning that it is part of the federal freeway system

I-96, I-94 and I-75 are freeways that run throughout Michigan and generally into other States

I-_96 or I-_75 (I-496, I-196, I-696, I-275, I-675) are urban extensions of the main freeway system

So that highway that runs through downtown Grand Rapids is NOT I-96, it is I-196

Alright, I've said my pet peeve for the month :rolleyes:

I wonder if they will make signs so that people stop calling I-196 "I-96". :rofl: That drives me batty when I hear that. Do people understand they are two different freeways?

I want to sit these people down and give them a quick lesson they should have gotten in grade school:

"I" stands for Interstate, meaning that it is part of the federal freeway system

I-96, I-94 and I-75 are freeways that run throughout Michigan and generally into other States

I-_96 or I-_75 (I-496, I-196, I-696, I-275, I-675) are urban extensions of the main freeway system

So that highway that runs through downtown Grand Rapids is NOT I-96, it is I-196

Speaking of highway trivia, did you know that the even number interstates run basically east and west while the odd number interstates run basically North and South? Handy when you're lost! :thumbsup:

Speaking of highway trivia, did you know that the even number interstates run basically east and west while the odd number interstates run basically North and South? Handy when you're lost! :thumbsup:

Yes, I did know that allbusiness. Also, green mile markers that you see along the highway start at 0 either where the highway starts, or at the State line. :thumbsup:

Yes, I did know that allbusiness. Also, green mile markers that you see along the highway start at 0 either where the highway starts, or at the State line. :thumbsup:

And, you can tell what side of the road the exit will be based on the position of the small "Exit 67" sign that sits on top of the larger freeway sign. If the small one is on the left, the exit is on the left. ;)

To add to that, if it is a 3 digit interstate number, and it starts with an even number, it is a bypass (i.e. I-496). But if starts with a odd number, it is a spur (i.e. I-196). And on older maps, US131 through downtown was referred to as I-296.

Just some meaningless trivia. :whistling:

Funny that you brought up I-296.

I noticed yesterday that when you're going eastbound on I-96 that just before you get to 131 by Alpine there are signs that went up yesterday that say, "Road Construction ahead on I-296".

I thought I had heard that that was 131 through downtown like you said,

but I bet it could really confuse most people.

Does anyone know why M-6 wasn't given an interstate number? Shouldn't it have been I-896 or something?

Because officially it is not part of the federal highway system (as a bypass or a spur), but solely a Michigan highway, like M-37 and M-43. Originally, they had talked about making the South Beltline (M-6) an open boulevard like the East Beltline, but people fought to make it limited access.

It's designated a "state highway", like M-21 between Holland and Zeeland or M-11 which is 28th street.

<<<Dad, beat me to this one!>>>

Sorry allbusiness. I'll try and shut my trap. :) It seems like when I drove through Delaware years ago it was like that the mile markers and exit numbers did not coincide :blink:

I saw driving home today a bunch of new freeway signs hanging out in some open space just south of 44th street on the east side of 131 (by the concrete place and LEON plastics). Looks like way finding stuff as the one sign I saw (out of many) was a "Devos Place" sign... Wonder where it's all going..

These signs?

signssmallerup_01.jpg

Something else that many people don't know about the US interstate system, is that even numbered freeways run east/west will odd numbered ones run north/south. You would be suprised how many people have told me that they never realized that.

Something else that many people don't know about the US interstate system, is that even numbered freeways run east/west will odd numbered ones run north/south. You would be suprised how many people have told me that they never realized that.

You mean like allbusiness pointed out earlier in the thread :rofl:

And GR1.. yep, those are it... I can see the "Devos Place" sign :good:

I wonder when the cranes at 28th St and 131 are going to get picked up. They've been sitting there for months on end...

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing on my way home from work tonight. They have to be done with all the work at that interchange. Maybe the MDOT crane parking lot is the cheapest way to store your crane :D .

Archived